“Basic, strange owner” 3 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1860 Shelburne Road, Burlington, VT 05430   |
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Burlington
“Basic, strange owner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Basic rooms, nothing to shout about, cheap owner a bit surly, based on the reviews here id say they are right on par, not a bad place though, owner is just a bit odd, but you get what you pay fir at the end of the day

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank steadyfoodie

Walden, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This review was written after our stay and after considerable thought. My wife and I have never considered writing a review of any experience bad or good but this place warrants our input. The owner asked us if we are clean people,instructed us to make sure we do not dirty the room,he also wanted us to monitor the shower time as to not waste water. Well is this a hotel or his own home ? In this business risk is the order of the day you win some and loose some.The Pictures of himself that grace the halls seem to be a shrine unto himself. Such vanity I advise avoid at all costs this establishment as the owner and his wife are Rude,and very frightening borderline SICKO'S I believe he should return to Tibet where he can feel more at home being supervised by the Chinese

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
13 Thank Edward K
Middlebury, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We had a very nice stay here -- it's a mom-and-pop place, not a chain, clean and comfortable. (The room was bigger than I expected, with a little sitting area off to the side. You can see Shelburne Bay, Lake Champlain, about a mile in the distance.) The owner was friendly and pleasant.

The location is excellent -- we walked next door to Pauline's, one of the finest restaurants in the area, and downtown Burlington is a short drive north.

We had a very nice stay -- and we could easily have paid three times more to stay at the fancy chains in Burlington.

Room Tip: We asked for a room with one bed, not two -- we were very happy that there was a sitting area near t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank PSHTraveler
Mertztown, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I called 4 months prior to make reservation. Gave my name,address, phone # & credit
card #. 2 weeks prior to arrival, I called to re-confirm my reservation. The owner said I
have no reservations listed for you, must check with his wife, he'd call me later that nite.
No call. panick struck in. I cancelled my credit card next day for fear of some kind of scam.
The owner did call 1 week later. He said my reservation was for one week earlier but they
still could fit me on the proper dates. To late I said I made reservations some place else.
I'm glad I cancelled my credit card. Something just not right about the place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank lori h
Boston MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I've stayed here twice. The rooms are simply but adequate for the price. However, as has been pointed out in several reviews , this immigrant couple from Asia ( supposedly Tibetan, but they look Chinese...whatever) are very suspicious and rude, borderline mentally unstable. On my first visit the owner ( very prophetically ) asked me " didn't you have a problem here before with my wife"? I told him I'd never stayed there before, but he shot back a dirty look, with something like " we don't put up with problems here". Such a friendly greeting! I made the mistake of returning a few months later, based upon price. Upon check-in, the previously unseen wife photocopied my driver's license, without asking, which I feel is an invasion of privacy. When I asked why, I was told " It's for the police". I guess this must be a hide-out for escapees or those on the run... not to reassuring. It was a bitter cold winter night, and the heat would only go on after it was turned up about 85 degrees, but I 'd rather roast than freeze, and I didn't feel like having another interaction with the rude owners. In the morning, the woman said she needed to inspect the room before I checked out. She came back to the desk and sarcastically asked, " Did you enjoy blasting the heat up to 100 all night?" I explained that it was broken, and that furthermore I did not appreciate her rudeness. She shot back " Well then don't come back, old man ". Needless to say, I would not spend money here again, even if the rooms were only a dollar!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
12 Thank richardhk3
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

We did not expect much from this little hotel especially after the mitigated reviews we read however, we decided to stay there based on the price (70$ a night for double occupancy) and we were absolutely delighted. Very clean, nice fresh smell, room large enough furnished with a sofa, a fridge and a microwave. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Happy_2bTraveling69
Bradenton, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

My wife and I were looking for a place that accepted small dogs (10lbs.) When we got there we saw a lady walking a dog in the hallway I thought GREAT I saw no signs stating no pets the owner didnt ask, We paid for a night and the problems BEGAN!! He told us we could only make 2 local phone calls,no problem we have cell phones.We noticed the bed sheets looked dirty so we removed them and slept on our own that we take with us when we travel.We read in his manual that he leaves in the room, that they dont wash the bedding daily, (cost to much) no soap in the bathroom which was dirty.That same evening he saw my wife walking the dog and got in her face about it and then confronted me.I told that we saw other people with pets and thought pets were allowed,He started screaming at the both of us calling us liers, I apologized and offered him a pet deposit, he then walked away, he turned the A/C off in our room and came back and told us that we have to leave , I said fine give us our money back and we'll leave, he refused and said if we don't leave he'll call the police on us for tresspassing,He said that he has friends that carry guns for people like us.He took a picture of my car and licence plate and followed us down the driveway as we were leaving. We stayed at the Quility Inn 1/2 mile down the road WOW what a difference!!! This Sicko owner needs to be stopped before someone gets hurt!!

Room Tip: Beware of this place, Beware of OWNER!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
18 Thank Gary_V679
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
Sheraton Burlington Hotel and Conference Center
#1 of 9 in Burlington
4.5 of 5 stars 534 reviews
Courtyard by Marriott Burlington Harbor
BEST WESTERN PLUS Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
BEST WESTERN PLUS Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 15 in South Burlington
4.5 of 5 stars 932 reviews

Been to G.G.T. Tibet Inn? Share your experiences!