“Terrific BBQ in Burlington” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Barbecue
Woodstock, Vermont
“Terrific BBQ in Burlington”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We treated our son and daughter in law and grandchildren to a meal at Big Fattys and it was terrific. We ordered the big meat special which includes a full rack, 2 half chickens, lots of pulled pork and bbq sauce. The girls wanted mac and cheese. We also ordered hush puppies and cole slaw. All this washed down with Switchback drafts. A portion of the ribs was a little dry and there were some clumped together dry strands of pork but these were small issues in light of the overall taste and presentation. The choice of homemade sauces were delicious and we all had a really good time. Total for six was $85 and included beers, etc. I love casual places with personable staff, warm wooden interiors and good beer. This BBQ place is as good as any I have been to, save Charlie Vergo's Rendezvous in Memphis. Since this meal I have been into Big Fattys for lunch twice and the pulled pork sandwiches have been excellent, tender and tasty.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Columbus, Ohio
“Great value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Went in on a Friday on a friends recommendation, she was with us too. Ordered a pound of the pork with 8 oz of slaw, no bun needed for me. My fiancée got a dog with the Mac and cheese and slaw for her sides. Our friends got the 8oz pork with slaw and the other the gator sausage with greens. The hot dog was average, but the mac and cheese was good she said. She did not like the cole slaw, neither did one other friend. I enjoyed it, I mixed it with the pork and inhaled it all even though some of the pork was dry. The sauces they have are very good. The gator sausage was spicy and delicious. The one friend who ordered the pork said hers was dry as well. She said they were having an off day as she eats there regularly and usually it is spot on.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tinton Falls, New Jersey
“Big on food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We found Fatty's during our trip to Burlington. It's a short walk from the aquarium which is a big attraction, and its a great alternative to some of the pricier restaurants. The food was great, in taste, and quantity. The service was great too, and very nice. We all had something different and everyone was very happy with their choice. We also purchased some of the BBQ sauce for home. It had a good spicy flare to it, and always a key ingredient, bourbon.

The atmosphere was simple, amusing signs that may or may not really reflect the opinion of Fatty, but it appealed to us.

We would easily visit again next time we are there.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
“"Pigged Out" with GREAT food!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Made a trip up to Burlington, Vt to meet some great friends for lunch..We tried everything on the menu and it was soooo good! Probably the best chicken I ever ate! So moist! Great ribs and the bbq pork was delicious! Beans were incredible! Took some food with us on the way home. Wish they would move to Nashville! My mouth is watering now just thinking about it. Should have taken more home with us. Excellent bbq sauces! Thanks for a great meal and experience guys...

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Topeka
“Where's the smoke???”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is my second visit to Big Fatty's. I would say it is what I expected from BBQ in Vermont. I was pleasantly greeted when walking in the door the decor and atmosphere was spot on for a small BBQ shop. I order the pulled pork sandwich and beef briscut. I started with the pulled pork and it tasted like it had been roasted and not cooked on a smoker. Even though there was no smoke flavor it had a delightful finish sauce. When I set my eyes on the briscut I got excited the bark on the briscut looked amazing. I immediately threw a piece of south in my mouth like Big Fatty suggest and wow SALT the bark may of consisted of 75% salt. I finished that bite and focused just on the beef and once again it tasted like dry roast. Usually when you're cooking BBq you will have a smoke ring but, I found myself asking "where is the smoke". My pulled pork came with a side of slaw and it was great light coated and fresh. I give Big Fatty's an A for effort but, they may want to figure out a new way to store and reheat the meat so it doesn't come out dry.

• Visited July 2013