“Good, very very good” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Central Vermont
“Good, very very good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Before flying to Michigan we had dinner at Hen of the Wood in Burlington. We had occasionally eaten at the Waterbury venue, but this was first time here. If I lived in Burlington I'd eat here 3-4 times a week. Good atmosphere, good service and a very interesting menu. My wife and I both had small plates of rabbit and steak tartare with lavender sorbet and triple crème cheese after, all excellent. We dined at 7:30 and it was full but not crowded. Well done Hen of the Wood people.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Burlington, Vermont
“A Mixed Bag”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We had been looking forward to eating at Hen of the Wood for a long time.

I called to make a reservation, they were full and I had to ask several questions before the person answering the phone finally said there is a cancellation list. I asked him to add us to it and he did. The idea is that if someone with a reservation does not show up, the restaurant calls you. If you are at the restaurant when the cancellation comes up, you are prioritized in line for the table. We arrived at 6:45 p.m. on a Monday night and it was packed. They take no reservations for the many seats at the bar or at another "bar" where you can watch food prepared. We were offered an open table, which was wonderful.

The ceiling is wood and reminded me of the inside of a wooden wine crate. In the corridor to the bathroom-- and visible from the street-- is a huge kitchen. Around the corner is a view (through glass) of aging meats. My husband asked about the speaker system after he noticed there was no music. Our waiter told us there is almost always music, but the speakers were temporarily out. He said it is normally very loud. We were happy to be able to talk and to hear each other effortlessly.

My husband and I shared three small plates: a thinly sliced cured ham with fresh corn kernels on top and a parker house roll that had been split, toasted and buttered; fried garbanzo bean flour sticks with a dipping sauce; and beef tartare with capers, topped with tiny potato chips and an egg yolk sauce. The first two were so salty, I could only have a little. The beef tartare was excellent.

We shared an entree, the hanger steak with arugula and some of an heirloom tomato with blue cheese and what I think was a red wine vinegar dressing. The hanger steak was the best I have had and was cooked medium rare and was not too salty.

I had seen the homemade ice cream/sherbet dessert being served and noted the generously-sized three scoops so I opted for one small scoop only. I had lavender and it was delicious. I might return for the many-layered opera cake and more of the ice cream.

We were very happy that our server offered small tastes of beer before my husband had to choose. Would love to see Harpoon offered.

We think potato and some vegetable should be served with the steak. I had considered ordering the chicken as a large plate, but it was half a chicken, deboned and stuffed with sausage, which is fine for a winter night, but not right for the summer. Actually, I was surprised that the menu was not reflective of the fact that we were dining in the heat of the summer; the only big plate choice (of four big plate choices) that sounded in-season was a zucchini and vegetables item.

The service was attentive. However, our server made several remarks that were not quite right-- about food choices and about how people choose beer. When I was speaking directly to my husband about a menu item, he interrupted. When I asked a young woman who was refilling the water jug on our table about the name of a particular flowering tree branch in the flower arrangements in the window, she answered defensively that, "They are silk. We like them."

It is hard for me to rate this restaurant. The food quality is excellent, but some of it is far too salty. I completely appreciate the locally sourced items. I would return to try the opera cake and for the homemade ice cream and sherbet.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Amazing food, service and ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

We tried all the appetizers and small plates... They were spectacular. Service was efficient, polite and responsive. The hen of the Woods white wine was superb. Book on line - it's much easier. Definitely will return.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boone, North Carolina
“Melt in your mouth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Showed up without reservation on a busy Friday night, but luckily found 2 seats at the bar. Had a couple small plates and one large plate to split between my husband and myself. inventive food and combinations and the tastes were amazing! Great wine and beer list. My favorite meal of the trip!

Visited August 2014
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Easy to Miss but Worth Finding.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We drove by the restaurant twice. The entrance is sandwiched between the Vermont Hotel and the Parking Garage with a big black light and a small sign. Glad we didn't give up, which was not likely since we had a reservation, which is a wise thing to make for this location. We were seated as soon as we entered the restaurant, lucky we had a reservation as they said all tables were filled or reserved, Wait staff efficient and pleasant, Cocktails we had were excellent (Grey Goose Cosmos for wife and a makers Mark Manhattan for me) and ample, Varied choice of appetizers, small and large plates, We had two small plates to start and share and then shared a Large Plate for dinner. Presentation of each dish well done and everything served at correct temperature. Desert was good too. Only complaint I had was that the coffee served in a French Press and really only enough for one large cupful. I enjoy coffee and really wanted more, maybe I should have asked but I did not. If you can sit at the kitchen tall chairs and you can watch the chefs at work, we couldn't as my wife cannot sit at tall chairs, broken hip undergoing healing. Nice place for a romantic dinner.

• Visited July 2014