“Not what I expected” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Burlington
New York City, New York
“Not what I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We go to Burlington regularly, and I was so excited to try this new hotel. The design is interesting- with clean lines and contemporary feel- but the hotel cheaped out on some of the finishes and details, and for the price- management should know better than that. The customers to which they cater are more savvy. The bellmen have the attitude that they aren't there to open your car door, or really do anything other than wave you along the driveway. The front desk people are friendly- but when I tried to book a reservation on the phone- I was told there was a waiting list of 52 people. I was able to book online- no problem. When I arrived - they told me that there were "a few rooms left." Hunh?? I was told that I had a sweet- and for the outrageous price I expected two rooms, but it's a standard double room, with a view over the Macy's parking lot. If I crank my neck I can see Lake Champlain. The bathroom is standard Kolher fare- there is no full length mirror, no makeup mirror, a rounded shower curtain rather than a glass door, no take home bathroom amenities, no slippers or bathrobe - no mini bar.. They have water and coffee available near the elevators- with apples that all three of us noticed were soft. he problem is that they are charging luxury prices for good pillows - clean rooms, and very slow wifi. I waited 15 minutes for coffee this morning ( breakfast not included ) the waitress seemed overwhelmed and comped the coffee. My son asked for sausage and got bacon- I asked for plain oatmeal, got some sort of cinnamon. Syrup. The hotel is near the center of town, beyond the bus terminal, which is creepy at night. But you can walk to the shops, restaurants, and the water. And that was worth it for me- this time. But I do feel ripped off. come on Burlington- fix your hotel situation!

Room Tip: Ask for a view oft he Lake on a high floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

we have made burlington vt an annual wedding anniversary trip and decided to try the new hotel vermont this time. definitely a great experience and will come back. the rooms felt more like an apartment than a hotel which made it feel very at home. having actual glassware in the rooms to use in the communal coffee/tea area on each floor was a nice touch.

the staff was very friendly and responsive. the only drawback is that if you want a wide open lake view you will only get a partial view just due to where the hotel is positioned on the street. we could see the lake from the whirlpool tub and open air shower though which was pretty cool. not sure about some of these negative reviews but i say give this place a shot, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: upper floor rooms have partial lake views. if that isn't important to you, skip it - the rooms...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

My wife and I were very happy with our weekend at the Hotel Vermont! The location is great, just steps away from all the action on Church Street, or the Lake Champlain waterfront equidistant in the opposite direction.

We were warmly greeted by the staff upon arrival. Everyone on the staff that we encountered were very friendly, professional, and accommodating.

The hotel is clean and bright. We loved the very well executed blend of Danish Modern design with locally sourced Vermont materials. The room design was spacious and very well thought out.

We had a delicious breakfast in the restaurant Juniper.

I am happy to recommend this great new hotel in Burlington, VT!

• Stayed September 2013
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I am perplexed by the so- so reviews. The hotel was beautiful, with a fresh Scandinavian / Vermont feel. The room was spacious, clean and modern with top of the line bedding, towels and products. Most items in the room from the coffee mugs to the water pitcher ,to the glass soap dishes , were made locally, and available for purchase . It was a great way to get a feel for modern Vermont with out the old granny/ plaid/ maple syrup New England theme. The staff was friendly and quite welcoming.

We had cocktails outside on one of the two roof decks, which was a quiet respite from the more noisy church street. Brunch at juniper was delicious, locally sourced and quite reasonable. I have been coming to Burlington for the past five years and this is by far my favorite hotel. I felt comfortable, well cared for, and inspired by this great new take on Vermont cool.

Room Tip: We had a king size bed that had a sweet cozy trundle . If our kids were still small they would have...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Huntington, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This is a new, very attractive hotel. The staff were lovely and very accomodating. Having said this, I cannot recommend the hotel. The air conditioning and heating cycles on and off. There is silence and then the fan roars to life creating a great deal of noise. We barely slept. We brought this to the attention of the front desk. She said they had received similar complaints. An engineeer or maintenance person checked it, but the problem persisted. We are not fussy travellers but this was awful. There is a very small dining area consisting of only several tables.
Finally, our view was of the top level of a parking garage. Hate to write such a negative review, but I would want to know.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hans v, General Manager at Hotel Vermont, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback and I am very sorry to hear your sleep was disrupted by the operation of the airconditioning system. We have researched the issue in the room you stayed in and we are in the process of implementing a solution. While this will not provide comfort to you for your stay at the hotel recently, we do appreciate you reporting the matter so we can make improvements.

Sincerely
Hans van Wees
somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night. It is a new hotel with a big theme of wood. There are nice chairs, sofas and what seems to be a large bed in the foyer. The bar is nice and on the evening it was full with students listening to jazz. The waitresses were friendly. Nice cocktails. The bedroom was nice, not very large. The bed was very high and comfortable. The bathroom and toilet walls were sliding so it all became one big room. It took for 5 minutes to find the wardrobe, you had to close the toilet wall/door. I then forgot where the toilet was. The toilet was in its own room with no sinl or towel which was a nuisance, only a small thing.
The hotel was very nice, and I imagine the large fire in the bar is very cosy.
Good breakfast. Nice terrace with view of the lake and mountains. Easy parking.
Nice hotel, in a good location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Lakeland, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is a fairly new hotel so first I will say some of the things I liked about it. The staff were all very friendly and efficient. It is within walking distance to shops, restaurants and the water so that was nice. In the hallway they have an area for coffee, tea and water which I li,ed because i am a big coffee drinker. The room itself does not have a refrigerator or a safe and the air conditioner is noisy which surprised me. I didn't like the fact that the sliding door to the bathroom was the common door also to the closet. The bed was comfortable and had a nice down comforter. The door to the room is very heavy so I am sure very sound proof. I ate dinner in the restaurant that evening and to me that was the most disappointing of my visit. The waitress was excellent and she recommended the steak. I prefer filet but they only had strip steak so I said I would try it. It had a nice flavor but it was tough and had quite a bit of fat. I did not say anything because I was having dinner with one of my husband's colleagues wife's while they were at a business dinner. But I had the steak, a glass of wine and a salad and it cost me over $60.00 which I felt was not worth it. I wish I had walked down the street and ate elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
Hilton Garden Inn Burlington Downtown
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#1 of 15 in South Burlington
4.5 of 5 stars 467 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
BEST WESTERN PLUS Windjammer Inn...
#2 of 15 in South Burlington
4.0 of 5 stars 807 reviews

Been to Hotel Vermont? Share your experiences!