“Interesting eco style hotel.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Vermont
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   41 Cherry St, Burlington, VT 05401   |
Ranked #1 of 8 hotels in Burlington
somerset
“Interesting eco style hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night. It is a new hotel with a big theme of wood. There are nice chairs, sofas and what seems to be a large bed in the foyer. The bar is nice and on the evening it was full with students listening to jazz. The waitresses were friendly. Nice cocktails. The bedroom was nice, not very large. The bed was very high and comfortable. The bathroom and toilet walls were sliding so it all became one big room. It took for 5 minutes to find the wardrobe, you had to close the toilet wall/door. I then forgot where the toilet was. The toilet was in its own room with no sinl or towel which was a nuisance, only a small thing.
The hotel was very nice, and I imagine the large fire in the bar is very cosy.
Good breakfast. Nice terrace with view of the lake and mountains. Easy parking.
Nice hotel, in a good location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

186 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Lakeland, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is a fairly new hotel so first I will say some of the things I liked about it. The staff were all very friendly and efficient. It is within walking distance to shops, restaurants and the water so that was nice. In the hallway they have an area for coffee, tea and water which I li,ed because i am a big coffee drinker. The room itself does not have a refrigerator or a safe and the air conditioner is noisy which surprised me. I didn't like the fact that the sliding door to the bathroom was the common door also to the closet. The bed was comfortable and had a nice down comforter. The door to the room is very heavy so I am sure very sound proof. I ate dinner in the restaurant that evening and to me that was the most disappointing of my visit. The waitress was excellent and she recommended the steak. I prefer filet but they only had strip steak so I said I would try it. It had a nice flavor but it was tough and had quite a bit of fat. I did not say anything because I was having dinner with one of my husband's colleagues wife's while they were at a business dinner. But I had the steak, a glass of wine and a salad and it cost me over $60.00 which I felt was not worth it. I wish I had walked down the street and ate elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stay in Burlington quite often usually stay at the Marriott-however Marriott was not available so we stayed in a suite at the Hotel Vermont.

The suite was very nice-however absolutely no view. The service was very good-check in and check out was quick and easy. Front desk was very helpful and polite. Hotel is very clean, nicely decorated and natural.

Overall it is a very nice property however it does not compare to the lovely lake view rooms, service and amenities at the Marriott.

Room Tip: 2nd floor suite was lovely but no viewt-higher level suites are better.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We decided to stay in the brand new luxury boutique to treat ourselves for our second honeymoon. What a horrible decision.

Pros:
Comfortable Bed

Cons:
- Not clean.
- No Refrigerator (though there was a big hole where it should be)
- Poorly stocked coffee area.
- No Room Service (though I could go downstairs and get mediocre food from the “restaurant” and then have them spill all the food in the bottom of the paper bag)
- No ATM (they sent me next door to The Marriott Courtyard)
- No soda, juice, etc (they sent me next door to the Marriott again. SHOULD HAVE JUST STAYED AT THE MARRIOTT)
- Only one “restaurant” consisting of 4 or 5 card tables (when they advertise two restaurants on their website. They now have changed their website to say the other is opening in September. But it showed opening in July when I booked my room in August)
- No working TV (it took 1-2 hours to come replace the remote)
- Very poor service (No assistance with luggage. No one answering phones. No one to help with any of my issues.)

The hotel does not have all the amenities yet but are still charging as if they do. I asked one manager and he told me that they would not be raising their rates when they have the amenities in place. That seems rather unfair.

Room Tip: If you MUST stay here, do NOT spend extra for the luxury room. NOT worth the extra.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hans v, General Manager at Hotel Vermont, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
We very much appreciate your feedback and apologize for not meeting the expectations you had for your Burlington hotel stay.

We are carefully reviewing and addressing the issues you presented, especially where it concerns service shortfalls.

As far as some of the lacking amenities: the hotel elected not to provide soda machines in an effort not to promote these beverages and their negative health and environmental impact; in stead the hotel offers water filling stations on each guestroom floor with sparkling or still filtered water using recycled glass bottles placed in each room. We understand, and accept, the fact that this may dispappoint some of our guests and apologize for this. We do however offer Coca Cola products in our bar.

While we understand your disappointment that in-room fridges, an ATM machine and room service are indeed not being offered at this time, the hotel does not advertise or promise these as available amenities, although we will start offering room service this fall.

As far as table seating in Juniper, our Bar and Restaurant, the following explanation may assist readers of this review: we offer seating for 60 guests, 38 of which at custom made solid wood tables (four 2-tops, two 4-tops, one 8-top and a community table with one 6-person section and one 8-person section), and 22 at the bar.

I am very sorry to hear about your disappointment with the manner in which food service was provided for take out. The spaces in the hotel were designed to encourage guests to enjoy a meal in the restaurant rather than an inferior dining experience in the space of a guest room, however we do recognize the need for in-room dining and when requested by guests we make food available for pick up. Our efforts to provide as positive a food experience as possible appear not to have been met in your situaiton and we will carefully review the procedure including presentation and delivery. I can understand your upset and we want provide a refund for the food your ordered.

Thank you again for sharing your concerns and we wish we had been able to better meet your expectations. We do hope your visit to Burlington was enjoyable.

Hans van Wees
General Manager - Hotel Vermont
Cohasset, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Very comfortable hotel with very unusual decorating and design. Earthy crunchy in a good way, with shared coffee and water stations on every floor. Little touches in the room, like a vermont woolen throw blanket, makes up for lack of standard items in a 5-star hotel (ex. no bathrobe, refrigerator, minibar). Because there was no minibar, I went to get a drink at the bar and after 10 minutes of being ignored, left. Great location allowed me to walk elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My wife and I had a chance to stay at the Hotel Vermont while we were in the area for a friend's wedding. The rest of the wedding group was in the Hilton next door, but we missed the reservation block and got stuck in the Hotel Vermont. Boy were we glad we did!

For three nights we got to enjoy the brand new rooms, ammenities and top of the line service that the hotel offers. There were a few snags with the valet (probably because we were some of the first people to valet our cars since they opened!), but overall the staff had a 'can-do' attitude and you couldn't beat the fresh rooms and fun style of the hotel.

Things to highlight while we were there:
- Free gourmet ice-cream cones from a local purveyor one day in the lobby
- Complimentary 'pantries' on each floor with ice bags, K-Cup coffee, and sparkling water
- Great restaurant with outdoor seating for breakfast, dinner and cocktails
- Helpful front desk that handled a few packages we had shipped for our stay

While the rates are comparable to the Courtyard Marriott and Hilton next door you'd be crazy not to give the Hotel Vermont a chance next time you're in Burlington (at least until everyone realizes this and the prices double!).

Room Tip: Don't worry about getting "partial lake view" rooms as the hotel is perpendicular to t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Well designed and extremely comfortable. It is a hotel that represents the high end of earthy Vermont. I found the staff very accommodating and friendly. Location is wonderful in a very a walkable active city. Water views, shopping and good restaurants abound. We negotiated our price and got our lovely room for 100.00 less then the published price. Sadly, at the published price it is over priced by Burlington Vermont standards. It is the kind of hotel that sets the bar high for other hotels. Even the smells are nice.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Vermont? Share your experiences!