“Calm and Luxe Eco-Chic Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Rise to the top
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Burlington
Boulder, Colorado
“Calm and Luxe Eco-Chic Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

I'm so glad there's a great option to the big chain hotels near the lake. Rooms are well appointed, quiet and cozy. Windows open up for fresh air and there are local products (from the soap to the pottery and throw blanket) in every corner of the room making it a really memorable stay. Great pillows too! And free bikes to take a ride around. Love this place.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Burlington was the final stop on a New England road trip that my mom and I were taking earlier this summer. I came across Hotel Vermont on Trip Advisor and knew that it was a relatively new hotel. I called the hotel to get more information and the lady was extremely helpful in providing me with details about everything. So, I decided to give it a try. The hotel has a unique rustic meets green meets minimalist meets upscale feel to it. I liked the look and the design of it - a nice change from the cookie-cutter hotel look. The location was great - just a few blocks from both Church Street in one direction and from the Lake in the other direction. The staff was friendly. We really enjoyed our two night stay and I will definitely plan to stay here on my next visit back to Burlington!

Room Tip: If you can, select a room on a higher floor for the best view!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Whanganui, NZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed just one night and it was such a shame to have to leave. This beautifully executed hotel really impressed me on many levels. The hotel makes a commitment to be environmentally friendly which is to be commended. It can be seen with the use of recycled wooden fittings (even the luggage carts!), and energy saving features such as each floor having a tea and coffee centre rather than fridges in every room.

It is also really well designed throughout. Fittings and features are of a high quality and, while at first glance the room seems austere, one soon realises that there is plenty of comfort and class. The bed and bedding were excellent and I loved the woollen blanket in its leather strap, copy of Vermont Life in its canvas slip etc. Arriving late and going straight to bed we were a bit disappointed because the blind didn't seem to keep out the night lights however we didn't realise there is another black-out blind behind it. The bathroom was split into two sections - shower and basin on one side, toilet and basin on the other. Great if you are sharing even if it is your nearest and dearest!

I loved the combination of materials in this hotel and felt the best had been made of the natural features of the wood, wool, steel, concrete and slate used. Congratulations to the designer. There is also a celebration of Vermont and the local - by using local materials within the structure of the building but also the food and products consumed.

We were similarly impressed with the service - genuinely friendly and helpful (including reservations who I dealt with by email when booking from our home in New Zealand). We were directed to a great guest laundry on the second floor without the usual push to buy laundry services, and helped with taxis and directions. The hotel is within very easy walking distance to both the lake and Church St.

Hotel Vermont is not the cheapest lodgings in Burlington but is good value for what you receive. It would have to be one of the nicest placed I've ever stayed in and it is highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
washington dc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My son and I stayed here one night before I dropped him off at camp. A fun funky vibe which we both loved. The rooms are very small but highly functional. We had no closet in our room but it wasn't a problem for us. If it was a multi night stay, it would be. We had a room close to the elevator and it was loud due to a LOT of foot traffic. Everything Is new and clean and the staff is super friendly. We went to Juniper for breakfast and it was fantastic. Will Definately stay again next time we visit Burlington.

• Stayed July 2013
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I was looking for a hotel in Burlington and chanced upon Hotel Vermont after a quick internet search, and boy am I glad I did. I was only in town for one night and so was just looking for a run-of-the-mill Courtyard or Sheraton, but Hotel Vermont turned an overnight into a mini-vacation.

It's difficult to describe this property - all the minimalist chic of a W or Ames (in Boston) mixed with the country charm of the Woodstock Inn. The architecture, lines and décor are very sleek and simple but the furnishings and stuff in the rooms (glasses, ice bucket, soap dish etc.) are all locally sourced from Vermonters - so it's this surprising blend of sophistication and folksy which really works.

Also don't miss their terrific bar and restaurant, Juniper. They have one of the most innovative cocktail lists I've ever seen. Every single drink had some sort of surprising ingredient or combination I'd never seen before. Very cool.

All the staff we met were super friendly and somehow all of these elements taken together - the space, the 'stuff', the people, turned this property from just a hotel into a relaxing, peaceful, pleasant oasis. I will definitely be back.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Ripon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

i wasn't supposed to be staying here; didn't even know it existed. i'd booked the marriott courtyard next door; online; but on turning up they had no record of my booking and they were fully booked. now i'm no numpty; i know how to book a hotel online; my mistake was not making a note of the booking reference and not getting concerned when i didn't receive a confirmation email. with thoughts starting to emerge of having to tramp round the corner to the ghastly hilton they rang their 'sister hotel' next door and set me up with an introduction. i just had to walk across a courtyard. i was in but i was also confused. what's a 'sister hotel'? this place didn't look like a marriott and didn't talk like a marriott but was it a marriott in disguise. no it's 'independently run'. still confused i gave up. either way i think i got lucky. for about the same price i got a much better hotel. it's new and you can tell...in a nice way. everything is sparkling and everything works. the staff are super keen. nice restaurant, busy with a good buzz about it ( food lovely although the wine choice is a bit limited; only a bit better than 'red or white !' ) and a nice outdoor seating area. room very clean with a clinical finish (i liked). rather oddly many things in the room appeared to have price tags and be for sale. my bet is that this place will continue to improve as they got more experience and feedback from customers. burlington needed a place like this; the best in town from my experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed one night in the eco-conscious Hotel Vermont on a spur-of-the-moment trip to Burlington and I enjoyed my stay. The staff was very welcoming in that Vermont kind of way and the room was attractive and comfortable. Travelling on my own, I stayed in the least expensive and I presume smallest of the rooms, which was more than adequate for one person; two people staying longer might want to consider a larger room. The bed was perhaps the most comfortable I've ever slept in in a hotel, the walk-in shower (no tub) was roomy, both armchair and desk chair very comfortable and well-designed. I very much liked the "green" features - dispensers for shampoo, etc, a water bottle to be filled in the hall from either still or sparking dispensers, the absence of an ice machine, replaced by a freezer load of bagged ice, etc. On the other hand, the hotel is new and still needs perhaps a bit of a re-think. There was no little table on which to put a drink while sitting in the reclining armchair. The only place for my coffee was on the floor, an arrangement that is bound to lead to spills. While the more expensive accommodations provide Tivoli radios, there was no radio of any sort in my room. An alarm clock (though attractively designed) is not a substitute and I had to listen to the morning news on my computer.. While Tivolis might be stretching it a bit, a humbler marque might be considered. After all, though mine was the least expensive room, it is far from cheap by Burlington standards. Finally, and this is something I have a feeling will be hard to fix - I stayed during a heat wave and thus had to have the central a/c running. It made a noise like a large truck every time it started up (which was frequently, due to the heat). Since the window in the room is operable, I suspect that most of the time air conditioning is not a factor, but it was loud enough that I had to use the closed captioning on the TV to avoid cranking the sound up too loud. One other policy note - apparently one is charged an immediate $50 cancellation fee on booking, which is perfectly fine with me, but I think this ought to appear on the website or at least the booking agent should inform the prospective guest at the time.

I've gone on at some length largely because I have the sense that the management might actually be listening to constructive criticism. Nothing I've said should be construed so as to discourage a stay. The Hotel Vermont is a very attractive choice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Hans v, General Manager at Hotel Vermont, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thanks so much for your very thoughtful review, we really appreciate the detailed feedback and suggestions you provided helping us improve our rooms (such as the suggestion for a small table by the Ekorness chair). We are also considering installing Tivoli radios in all rooms since they have been received so well by guests staying in the top floor rooms where we currently have them versus using low quality clock radios or iPod docks often used in hotels - stand by and we wil provide updates.

As far as the experience with the air conditioner - we are indeed experiencing very high temperatures and humidity levels, causing the a/c system to start up frequently. We have however been able to make adjustments and would love to hear more details about the specific room you stayed in and if it would not be too much trouble to let us know this, we would greatly appreciate it.

Finally: the $50 cancellation fee is a puzzle we would love to resolve! Would you be willing to contact Deb our reservations manager (through our toll free number in our listing above)? - we really would like to learn what happened since we do not have such a policy in place and would never want this to be a surprise to anyone. I am very sorry this showed on your credit card.

Your closing comments are extremely kind and appreciated - constructive criticism is so important to the success of any business, and we are thankful for you giving us the opportunity to learn from your experience.

We hope to see you back soon; please stop by so we can thank you in person.

Hans van Wees

Been to Hotel Vermont? Share your experiences!