“surprisingly good food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #94 of 210 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: American, Diner, Family Fare
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Description: In a spot which has been a local Burlington Vermont institution since the 1970's, Pearl Street once again has a restaurant place where local people can get decent food at decent prices. We love our neighbors dearly and welcome new friends from all over. If you are visiting Burlington and want what one customer calls "simple food done right" we are your place. Specializing in breakfast all day, we are famous for our homemade corned beef hash and many kinds of Eggs Benedict. Don't forget to try our authentic Philly cheesesteak for lunch.
South Burlington, Vermont
“surprisingly good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

This inner city diner is nothing to look at but we found the food surprisingly good! You don't pay for the ambiance and it's not really "gourmet" like Penny Cluse for comparison. However, the chef knows how to put out a good breakfast here. My wife loved the blueberry pancakes w. VT maple syrup and good quality bacon. We shared a side of their "homemade" corned beef hash and it was nice and crispy with proper flavor...not like the many places that just pour the Hormel on the griddle and warm it up. I ordered the shaved rib-eye eggs benedict, and it was delicious. Thin shavings of good quality steak, caramelized onions and 2 perfectly poached eggs w. hollandaise on French bread. YUM! The interior is utilitarian diner style with lighting a little too bright and booths that appear to have been handmade in someone's garage workshop. Staff was very friendly and service was excellent...we were happy to tip generously. If you want a great breakfast without paying more for location or "ambiance" this is your kind of place.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Burlington, Vermont
“Muffins are lame”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Both the blueberry, and English, sad to say. My wife loves a good blueberry muffin, ate maybe a quarter of hers. My English muffin was over toasted, I ate it, but I have had much better, I think they split it with a knife, not a fork, big mistake. My son though, wolfed down is pancake, which is the size of a plate (we were warned), it looked fine. So it maybe the little things they need to get better, but hey, its a diner, that said, I have been to great diners. Coffee was not strong enough. Waitress was very nice, overall an average rating for here, I might go back if walking by and hungry.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Burlington VT. USA
“Breakfast Sandwich Made To Order.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My wife and I were the first in the door at 6 AM. I asked to go off menu and get an English Muffin breakfast sandwich, egg, corned beef, American cheese and they happily made it for me. That with home fries and two cups of coffee was a delicious breakfast. Breakfast here is always good and the staff is friendly. My wife had California Benedict which she seemed to relish.

• Visited October 2012