“Very poor service” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Bluffton, South Carolina, United States
“Very poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

No matter how good the food might be , the service ruin the experience .
It was looongggg , no one was serve at the same time , they even bring one part of a dish separately ( rice came 10mn before the meal ) , plus the " we do not have any more clean glasses ," just sound so terrible .....

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Burlington, Vermont, United States
“Good Food Takes Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Three adults ate at San Sai the other night. I had read that service was slow so was prepared for it. We were attending a 7:30 performance down the street and we appeared at 5:40. We were to learn that the service, in our case was not slow, even when the restaurant started to fill up around 6:30. Because we were taking our time, we were able to notice that many of the tables that came after us were bing served in what I would characterize as reasonably quick service. Having said all that, we were all unanimous in saying that the food was excellent. The menu, which was very Japanese, and extensive. My sashimi selection plate contained nine different portions of very adequate size. Our companion had the same size sushi platter, and my wife had very good tempura. Very nice atmosphere, great wine, beer, cocktail and sake list.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cleveland, Ohio
“Good food but ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The slowest service I've ever seen. That when the dining area was 1/3 full At this restaurant, we went thirsty, hungry, angry and sad. The food is great, location is great, free parking, but we had to wait for absolutely everything: water, drinks, drinks refill, food and check. Don't let the menu fool you: then bang for the buck it is not there. One needs to order a lot to get full. I for one left hungry after spending $65 on myself only.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Burlington, VT
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I've been to San Sai several times, with different groups of people. I'm always impressed and I keep saying I should come more often. You should be aware that this isn't mass-produced, grocery-store sushi; and in any case, there's much more to choose from on the menu - how bout a big bowl of beef sukiyaki? The chef makes everything to order; so there may be a wait between dishes. Don't plan to come here if you need to eat in a hurry. Be relaxed, enjoy the many excellent sake options while you're waiting. That being said, my husband and I went at 6 on a Wednesday evening and our service was smooth, cheerful, and very quick, with just a brief pause as the amazing dishes came out one after the other.

This time, for Restaurant Week, my husband and I chose the chef's choice menu of four different dishes, since we know by now we can trust what comes out of the kitchen. In situations like this you have to give up control and be prepared for surprises. The lobster tail with mushrooms and onions, and the salad with bits of crispy salmon skin, were both welcomed as old favorites. We then were served a plate with three tastes on it - including a lusciously mayonnaisey salmon salad, and a faux "scallop" that was actually a steamed daikon slice with a magnificent sauce. We ended with a plate of delectable sushi, made with an expert touch. The middle dish that set us back a bit at first was a pile of perfectly crisp-steamed green beans, topped by three tiny pink squids. Um, OK, they're seafood... just eat them! Nothing wrong with pushing the boundaries a bit, eh? And they were, in fact, delicious. As usual, we were rewarded for being adventurous, as I'm sure you will be.

This is the big league... city food for sure, and some might say, at city prices, though I never feel "ripped off" here - it's so worth it! But I knew this was a good place when I came with my sister one time, and next to us was a table of Buddhist monks who were on their way to Montreal, and who were being hosted by a local. They seemed, indeed, delighted with their food. That's a good sign!

Great atmosphere inside, not noisy at all, and if you're lucky enough to score an outside table on a fine summer evening, you'll be in paradise as you admire the lake view!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Littleton, New Hampshire
“Great Sushi, slowest service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

To be able to get high end sushi and sake in the north country is a treat and worth the drive. By far, the freshest Sushi North of NYC and Boston. But the service doesn't get it. It is unbearably slow and unorganized.

• Visited April 2013