“Clean, Quiet, and Comfortable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Burlington Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Burlington
The Burlington Hostel
You added The Burlington Hostel to your Saves list
53 Main St, 2nd Floor, Burlington, VT   |
Chicago
“Clean, Quiet, and Comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

This is probably the cleanest hostel I have ever stayed at. I work for a non-profit, and our budget is limited; Burlington Hostel was a great place to stay for the conference I attended at a nearby hotel. It is quiet and there is a comfortable area for reading, working, etc.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed in early October 2012.. Absolutely perfect--clean, non-party vibe, quiet yet friendly fellow travellers, location near every thing, price can't be beat. Love the shoes off @ door policy. Felt totally safe as solo mature female traveller. Olga and her husband are wonderful hosts and make you feel at home. Lots of travel brochures, lockers and great living room area to check email on free WI FI. Micro and frig available for guest usage. Great waffles and coffee for breakfast. Plan to stay at Burlington Hostel when I am in Burlington in the early spring if not sooner.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Bradenton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

To Brian and Olga and their wonderful staff:
Thank you for taking such good care of me during my recent stay in the Burlington Hostel. Not only did you offer a cost effective alternative to the pricey nearby downtown hotels, but your facility was clean and comfortable and inviting in decor. Great location to the downtown core, Church street, festivals, airport etc. Safety felt to be a top priority with your staff. Other guests I interacted with all echoed our mutual amazement at a wonderful facility.
Thank you for making my stay so comfortable. I will highly recommend your location to anyone seeking a downtown Burlington lodging.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Mendon, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

The Burlington Hostel is a great place to stay for travelers on a limited budget, or those who want to meet some international visitors during their stop. I stayed for a couple of nights in early August to kill some time, and was very pleasantly surprised. Brian and Olga established the hostel a few years ago on the second floor of a Main Street building only about a block from the Lake Champlain waterfront. It has curtained-off rooms of bunkbeds, new shower and bath facilities and a large, natural light-filled livingroom.

Very friendly place, and kept immaculately clean. Lockers provided, and indoor bike rack. Lots of refrigerator space, and the staff makes coffee and batter for do-it-yourself waffles for breakfast. The hostel is situated ideally for those who want to walk around downtown, or bike through the area. Of the dozen or so guests I encountered, a few were young Americans, but most were international, with ages ranging from early 20s to nearly 70. No one was intrusive, but company is there if you want it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I wouldn't bother looking at the ratings for this place as I promise you The Burlington Hostel won't be like any other place you have ever stayed - instead read this brief review to get an idea.

What's different to other hostels?
1) Most importantly (and strangely), every single day, all guests are kicked off the premises for FOUR hours between 11am and 3pm without exception. Why? They say for cleaning, and I believe them because...

2) The hostel is immaculate... I mean IMMACULATE. Cleaner than any hotel I've ever stayed including 5 star Intercontinental etc. And I've been to Japan.

3) No shoes. Take off your shoes at the door and expect to roam the dorms, common room, toilet and showers in either bare feet or socks. While a bit unnerving its not a problem because of (2) above.

4) It's quiet. Quieter than library quiet - everyone talks in whispers even at 10am while having breakfast in the common room. I saw a girl so afraid to talk that she was skyping her friend in makeshift sign language.

5) There are no doors in the entire hostel except for the front door and the toilets. All dorm rooms are entered via curtain and as are the showers (and shower cubicles themselves).

6) No alcohol allowed in the premises (or "near the premises" according to the rules!)

Okay - now on to the normal stuff which is mostly positive. I'll leave it to you to pass judgement on (1) to (5) above and whether it is to your liking or not because it certainly took us by surprise!

The staff are polite, professional and helpful. The free breakfast of waffles with optional $2 genuine maple syrup is very nice. The common room area is a good size for the size of the hostel. The location is very good - a short walk downhill to the breathtakingly picturesque lake or uphill to the bustling and truly excellent shopping and eating district of Church Street. Of course I don't need to comment on cleanliness here except to say its exceptional. Free earplugs were available at the front desk and towels were provided for the showers.

I've deducted points from my rating as I felt the hostel lacked atmosphere due to the clinical cleanliness, strict rules and ensuing 24/7 quietness that lead to a lack of socializing between guests. Also the hostel does not have private rooms so my girlfriend and I booked a 4 bed dorm thinking this would be the most private. Instead we had to walk THROUGH an occupied 8 bed dorm to arrive at the "4 bed dorm" which was separated via a single curtain.

Overall the hostel does a lot right but does not at all cater to our tastes as world travellers in their 20s looking to have fun and meet people. If we were to return to Burlington we would probably stay somewhere else where we can relax although I can imagine some travellers this would be just what they are looking for.

Room Tip: All the rooms are pretty much the same so you are probably better off going with the cheaper option...