“a memorable experience, if you don't order the whole Med. Sea Bass” 4 of 5 stars
Review of L'amante

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
NY
“a memorable experience, if you don't order the whole Med. Sea Bass”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

We had dinner there last night & had a wonderful meal.

We ordered several antipasti:
* a very delicious LA CROSTA MARGHERITA
* a very nicely GRILLED CALAMARI but overly acidic RADICCHIO
* a wonderful combination of BABY ARUGULA, PEARS, GORGONZOLA, CANDIED WALNUTS

I ordered the mediterranean Sea Bass, which was nicely presented. There was only one problem, however, as it was getting close to 8 pm and not so much ambient lighting available. I struggled with removal of bones from the whole fish.

Pros:
* location
* good food
* impressive wine list

Cons:
* gaps in the menu
* training for the wait staff
I complained to the waitress, who initially did nothing other than saying sorry, then later showed up w/ one more candle to assist my effort. By then I was mostly done.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“My new favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2009

As a local, I can say that Burlington does not have a good share of fine restaurants. Some good ones have come and gone. L'Amante has been around a few years now. I like this place because the couple who own it are there, he is the chef and she runs the floor, a great recipe for quality and longevity. Took some VIP guests last evening. Three orders were the superb sea bass with matchstick potato crust, I enjoyed sumptuous brases boneless short ribs-- liek the best pot roast ever only better with buttery mashed potatoes and petite asparagus. Also a fresh fettucine with mushroom cream sauce was delicious. Wine list also superb. apple "pie" dessert also delicious. Server was clumsy and intrusive-- she asked whether we wanted "fresh ground" pepper twice before tasted the food, (we wasked finally whether she would just leave the pepper mill so thta she would desist- she declined) she asked whether we were finished when there were no morsels of food left on any plates, she interrupted us too many times. Despite that, L'Amante is my new favorite in Burlington. Don't miss it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
colorado
“Best in Burlington”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

Really enjoyed ths place. Great "new" cuisine and the waitstaff is pleasant and attentive. This is a great stop for foodies and so far my favorite restaurant in town. The gnocchi is out of this world.

Bridgeport, Connecticut
“Big city prices, provincial service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

Well, the title says it all.

We were a bit early for our reservation last week, and the hostess made us wait, even though there were empty tables in the restaurant that were never filled. We wanted a drink, but the small bar was packed with diners (both eating at the bar and at the tables in the bar area). We were finally permitted by the hostess to sit at one of the small bar tables in order to get a drink, but it was ages before the barman came over to get our order. At one point, I had to pantomime drinking from a glass in order to let him know that we wanted any kind of service! He did serve others at tables, but seemed blind to table at the end.

When we were finally seated in the (half full) dining room, the wait staff, while very pleasant, was sloooooooooow. It was an additional 20 minutes to get bread, and then after our entrees arrived we had to remind her that we had ordered wine.

The food is gorgeous, and we enjoyed every bite. Unfortunately, every other part of the experience was so awful that my only regret was that we left any tip at all (and I am normally a 20%-er!).

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Best wine selection in Burlington. The squash blossom fritters are great.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2008

Best wine selection in Burlington. The squash blossom fritters are great.