“Charm, hospitality, and Little Extras Make the Difference.” 5 of 5 stars

Forty Putney Road Bed and Breakfast
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   192 Putney Road, Brattleboro, VT 05301   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Brattleboro B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Charm, hospitality, and Little Extras Make the Difference.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Hummingbird Room at this Inn while we searched for apartments in Brattleboro. The buildings and grounds are stately and perfectly appointed, and our room was comfortable and filled with special little extras. For example, we opened our refrigerator to find two delicious Vermont-made sodas (no high fructose corn syrup or artificial colorings!) and enjoyed the granola bars, chips, and other snacks in the basket on top. The most charming aspect of the Inn, however, is Rhonda. A recent transplant (as we will be) to Brattleboro from Florida, Rhonda was extremely warm but professional, accommodating, and gracious. As I don't eat eggs, cheese, milk, etc., Rhonda went out of her way to make me a lovely and satisfying breakfast, and my boyfriend enjoyed her fresh raspberry muffins and maple butter - he said it was the best muffin he had ever tasted. Upon our arrival, we were sad to learn that the pub was temporarily closed due to the pending liquor license (as the Inn changed hands from the former owner to Rhonda), but that was quickly resolved when Rhonda offered us two complimentary and delicious craft beers (which she could not sell to us). Considering we will be moving to Brattleboro, we may not have the opportunity/need to stay at the Inn in the future, but what a wonderful person to have met, and a wonderful place to recommend when we have visitors. The location is a quick walk to downtown, and the Inn has plenty of parking. Thank you for a wonderful trip Rhonda, and best wishes for the continued success of the Inn.

Room Tip: The Hummingbird Room is detached from the rest of the Inn, which we enjoyed for extra privacy, but w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
FortyPutneyRoad, Owner at Forty Putney Road Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank You! Can't wait to have you as a neighbor!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This B&B changed ownership just a few weeks prior to out reservations. The new innkeeper, Rhonda, made us feel right at home. The inn itself is an attractive house with super comfortable common areas to hang out in and nicely decorated bedrooms. Rhonda has so many little extras stocked for her guests through out the inn and in the bedrooms, we were impressed with the thoughtfulness. We thoroughly enjoyed the big hot tub on the property and the pool table in the living room. The breakfasts were amazing, Rhonda cooks them herself, and we were very happy both mornings with what she served. The inn no longer has beer tastings, offered with the previous owners, but the pub is still there to enjoy (Rhonda was waiting for her liquor license to come, so she served us complimentary drinks when we arrived since she could not open up the pub for sales yet). It is a lovely property in the winter, we hope to see it in the warmer weather as well one day. Highly recommend TJ Buckley's for a special dinner, and Amy's for unbelievable soups and sandwiches if looking for a lunch spot. We walked into town during the day (ten minutes to the center) but parking looked to be fairly easy as well. We stayed in the Garden Room which was super comfortable and had a really nice view, and another couple we were traveling with opted for The New Room, which looked comfy and cozy, they were very happy as well.

Room Tip: We peeked in all but one room on the second floor and there was something nice about each one. The s...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
It was my pleasure to prepare breakfast for you! Look forward to seeing you in the warmer days!
Blairstown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Forty Putney Road is a beautiful B&B. My husband and I stayed New Year's Eve and I couldn't be more pleased. From the moment we walked in the door, Rhonda took care of our every need. She toured through the entire house (except bedrooms that people were renting) and showed us where everything we might need could be found. Everything from coffee always brewing in the living room to hot tub towels near the back door to silverware and plates in the upstairs sunroom just in case you wanted to order a pizza or something. She was ultra accommodating in helping us find a place to eat last minute on New Year's Eve, and the restaurant she chose seated us immediately. She even provided a champagne toast at the inn before dinner. Breakfast was wonderful - egg and cheese souffle, French toast in a croissant. Our room, the Garden Room, was also lovely....and again, she thought of everything - fluffy white robes, explanation for how to adjust the heat so we'd be comfortable, DVDs and books outside our door. Even the tiniest gestures were appreciated, like taking my coat and hanging it in the closet in our room. Her daughter was visiting and helping and she was a doll also! I wish them the very best! If her food and service stays at this level, she'll be very successful!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
It was my pleasure to enjoy New Year's with you both!
Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I was a little concerned when I received an email notifying me that the b & b had changed owners right before the weekend of our reservation. But my concern was for naught.
My boyfriend and I stayed in the New Room. We loved the old-timey bathroom fixtures, the big comfy arm chair and the plush bathrobes. We're not normally b & b people and we really appreciated the more modern additions such as the microwave down the hall, the fridge in the room, the free wi-fi and the tv with dvd player. The dvd library was a great antidote to a dreary Saturday afternoon.
Breakfast was really good. I especially loved the granola with warm apple and banana. On both days the breakfast was hearty but not so huge that I felt like taking a nap afterwards. Coffee was readily available as well. They easily accommodated my vegetarian diet. I liked the restaurant style seating arrangements at breakfast (rather than one big table). My only issue with breakfast was that it ended at 9:30. I like to sleep a little late on the weekends, especially when on a vacation.
My only other issue was that the bed was too soft and I woke up with a sore back both mornings. Obviously, this is a personal thing and may not be the case for everyone.
Really, the best thing about Forty Putney Road was that it had all of the positives of a bed & breakfast (cool old house, nice grounds, quiet, not cookie cutter decor) and none of the negatives (invasive hosts, family style breakfast, etc.) If we find ourselves in Brattleboro again I'm sure we'll stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Look forward to seeing you again!
Boston, Ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My wife and I recently took a kid free weekend to get away from everything before the craziness of the holiday began.

I must first preface this by saying, that I am a self proclaimed “beer geek” and when we plan trip away I usually look for a good local craft beer scene to able to enjoy while away (my wife likes wine... they also had that!). For over a year I have wanted to visit the Forty Putney Bed and Breakfast. I had sometime ago stumbled onto Tim and Amy’s Beer Blog/Vlog and fell in love with the idea of going to a bed and breakfast that has a pub and serves craft beers.

Our stay was Fantastic!! When we arrived we met Amy and Rhonda (The soon to be new Inn Keeper) in the pub. While we checked in we were able to enjoy a pick of a local beer. Amy gave us a great tour of the common areas of the house and all of the amenities we would be able to enjoy while staying. (including the coffee/tea station, were we could find extra silverware, toiletries we might have forgotten, the water cooler and microwave w popcorn for popping)

She then showed us to our room, the Garden View Room. It was just as advertised on the internet. The room and common areas were super clean (kid, dog & smoke FREE). My fear when staying in a bed and breakfast is either you feel like you are staying in someone’s home or you feel like you are staying in a sterile chain hotel. Forty Putney Rd is exactly how a B&B should feel. It felt private enough that you didn’t feel like you were interrupting someone’s life, but homey enough that you don’t feel like you are staying at “average hotel”. And it’s “doily free” - didn’t feel like an old ladies house. The bed and sheet were amazingly comfortable.

The draw for us to this B&B were the fact that is was Beer centric and friendly. Just like all the reviews say, the Saturday night beer tasting is great. Doug has a professional’s knowledge of beer and brewing. It was a fun and informative event and what made it even better was that it brings you closer with the other guests in the inn. Most of us sat in the pub even after the tasting and enjoyed a few more beers and got to learn about each others lives, and played some pool in the parlor. I hope that this tradition continues at Forty Putney Road.

The breakfast was also not a let down. The two course meal with options is amazing. Amy is a great gourmet breakfasteer (if that is even a word). For us we loved the fact that the food was all local and organic. That this small business of a B&B doesn’t cut costs by getting pre-made foods from Costco, but they source local ingredient from the local CoOp and farmers (local coffee and organic teas as well – from shops on Main St). It was a joy to be able to have Amy’s breakfast.

The Inn is just less than a 10 minute walk to downtown Brattleboro where there are some great shops and restaurants. We recommend checking out Whetstone Station for dinner, which is Amy and Tim’s next endeavor.

Some other quick tips about Forty Putney Rd B&B are: Make sure you play the Inn Bingo and turn your card in at checkout… Also check their facebook page for some great in room add on deals for your stay.

We will continue to keep our eye on this B&B as the new ownership takes over and hope that as little as possible changes and we make a return trim to Forty Putney Rd B&B soon.

Room Tip: I didn't see the rooms in the carriage house, but I am not sure I would want to stay out there...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you! You helped make my transition smooth. Wonderful guests!
California City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed here yesterday and was not disappointed! The room was great as was the entire house. I loved the way it was all decorated. I stayed in the blue moon and stars room. Everything was spotless and the sheets were amazing...so soft (I might have to order me a set)! Edward and Timberly were great. I enjoyed the beer tasting (learned lots) and met some great people at the pub. The location is great and right near everything. I spent the afternoon with the downtown shops, then ate dinner, enjoyed the beer tasting, hit the movies at The Laches and called it a night. Breakfast in the morning was wonderful...broccoli cheese quiche followed by sweet cream filled french toast topped with pecans and pure maple syrup (I'm going to be looking for the recipes on their website). I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
redding ct
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed here for one night. The place is lovely, clean and very quiet. The breakfast was amazing. The service was excellent and we would go back for sure!! A great place to stay in Brattleboro. The location is excellent as well. Right on the main road. Lots of great snacks were provided as well as newspapers. We really enjoyed ourselves here. We would highly recommend this to any travelers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brattleboro
Latchis Hotel
1868 Crosby House
1868 Crosby House
#2 of 5 in Brattleboro
5.0 of 5 stars 137 reviews

Been to Forty Putney Road Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!