“BBQ in Brattleboro” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 96 Restaurants in Brattleboro
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Grill
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Marco Island, Florida
“BBQ in Brattleboro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

BBQ done right! Wow, this was a pleasant surprise. We took the ribs and sat outback, nice view and pleasant surroundings. Nothing fancy here, but if you appreciate great BBQ smoked meats - make it BBQ in Brattleboro.

Visited October 2013

“The Top of the Hill is always at the top of our list!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

A group of us travel to Maine each August for a weekend of lobster and motorcycling the coast.Of course, we take the scenic route through the mountains to get there and the Top of the Hill Grill was a discovery many years ago, that has remained on our itinerary. This year is no exception and we introduced a handful of new travelers in our group to it. The vote was unanimous that this place is one of the highlights of the ride! I have to say that the burnt ends and mac and cheese were the favorites this year! The service is quick, the food is awesome, the outdoor seating provides an interesting view and we were in and out quick and back on the road in short order. We'll be back next year for more!

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, New York
“Shining Jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

On out annual Lobster Run we stopped at this hidden jewel for lunch . They have an extensive BBQ menu as well as vegetarian choices, I had the burnt ends and they were delicious, my wife had red beans n rice w there homemade andouille sausage, it was out of this world. The seating was very comfortable and the view from the deck was breathtaking . If you are in the area, make an effort to eat there you won't be disappointed .

Wilmington, Vermont
“Fast, Fresh, Fantastic!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

I found myself in Brattleboro, VT around lunch time and felt it was time to revisit an old favorite, the Top of the Hill Grill. I pulled in at 12:15 with a lunch crowd beginning to form. There were about 8 folks in line prior to myself and I was ordering in less than 7 minutes.

The staff I had contact with were young, but well seasoned, smiling and attentive. I asked for a signature dish, and was promptly provided with a list of top sellers including Burnt Ends, Fajitas and a fish dishes. I was quickly impressed by her knowledge of what's popular, rather than the typical teenager response that, "It's all good.". I had been eyeing the Gumbo and jambalaya on the menu, but really wanted to try the dishes that have helped make them successful.

Playing cards were handed out as numbers which were called out quickly over a raspy pa so you had to pay a bit of attention to hear your call. My order was up in less time than I'd waited in line, it was worth both waits.

When my 5 of clubs was called, I picked up my dish. It looked delish! The server asked if I wanted BBQ sauce, and while the dish looked like it didn't require it, I didn't want to miss anything if the sauce had something to add to it. Let me tell you, the dish was fine as is, and you won't need the sauce.

While I enjoyed my lunch, I'll add that I stopped here with a bit of nostalgia in my heart. I hadn't been there in probably 16-17 years, when it was just a trailer and a couple of picnic tables, with great food at an earnest price. Back then I'd take my plate back across the street where I worked and eat at my desk, as the scenery around the place was rather drab and uninviting.

WOW! How this place has changed! The food is still great, but the ambiance is phenomenal! Many of tables of varying sizes, in various locales, on the ground, or on the deck overlooking the wetlands surrounding the West River, in the sun, in the shade, or protected from rain beneath a tent, load of seating, loads of options. I happened to be there on a mild sunny day and chose a shady spot beneath a tree on the deck. The variety and ambiance of the place actually made the view--beautiful. I've seen that view many times before the improvements, and would've described it then as the mosquito ridden armpit of Brattleboro. Not now, It's highly relaxing, and breathtaking, and my meal was not disturbed by insects. With the highway within a couple 150' from the tables, everything was set up in a way that made it look completely secluded from a busy state highway.

When it was all over, I was back on the road within 30 minutes of stepping out of my car door. I felt I enhoyed my lunch in a timely fashion, and took half of the lunch back home to share with my wife, as we found ourselves nibbling on morsels throughout the rest of teh afternoon.

I truly salute the management of this operation for takign a small roadside stand and creating a eating vacation destination just off of Putney road. I've still got that hankering for Jambalaya, and can't wait to find myself in Brattleboro Again!

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tucson, AZ
“Grateful for Vegetable-y Dishes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Based on the appearance of the place from the side of the road, and the way BBQ sauce invariably has sugar as its second or third ingredient, I was not hopeful I would be able to find anything to eat compatible with my strictly "no table sugar" regimen. But we were meeting family there, so what could I do? I thought I might just end up drinking a water, saying I wasn't hungry and just socializing.

To my surprise and great relief, the Top of the Hill Grill offers a dish called "Roasted Root Vegetables" that is just that--some roasted root vegetables. It was a very generous portion size. The potatoes, carrots and other root vegetables in the dish were roasted (with non-sugar spices) to a delicious succulent perfection, and the servers at the counter were friendly taking the order and the payment.

The setting, overlooking a river that winds through a tree-lined valley, is, to say the least, pleasant.

The only downside was how very, very long it took for customers to be allowed to place their orders at the counter (coupled with how long it seemed to take for food orders to become ready and be called out for customers to come pick them up.) So, for example, after drinking the bottle of water I bought with my meal, I decided I wanted another one. But there was a very long, extremely slow-moving line of customers I would have had to wait in just to get this second bottle. My dining companions and I sat for at least another hour chatting, during which time the line finally died down to only three people in it, at which point I got back in line to get my water. But even with only three people in line ahead of me, it was a pretty darn long wait. Why so slow, Joe/Jon?

Over all, though, a positive experience. I do recommend it. Maybe just bring your own water. And be prepared for slow service.

• Visited July 2014