“Dirty Restaurant and so so food” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #37 of 95 Restaurants in Brattleboro
Cuisines: Asian
Norwich, Connecticut
“Dirty Restaurant and so so food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My wife and I went for dinner here on Friday, October 13, 2012 and we should have left when we were initially seated. First of all the place is filthy. We were seated next to the Sushi Bar along the wall and the layer of soot, dirt and dust was actually visible! The carpets were worn and dirty, lights were out, the table felt sticky and the place just had the feeling of being unkempt. The food that followed pretty much matched the cleanliness of the restaurant. My wife asked if she could get a sauce for her Tofu dish and the young waitress replied no...what? Other dishes came with sauces so how difficult would it have been to serve the Tofu with a sauce from another dish? So she ordered Tofu that came with "sauce" which turned out to be nothing more than a little dish of very bland soy sauce. We tried it doctor it up but it was still pretty boring. I ordered vegetables over rice in a hot stone bowl.......it was mostly rice and lettuce. The sauce was okay. The service was poor. My wife asked for a knife and never got one. The waitress also never checked on us to see how our meal was, maybe she knew already? Oh well, Shin La is just not our cup of tea!

Visited October 2012
Esther K, Guest Relations Manager at Shin La, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
I am sorry you felt our sushi bar was not clean. It should have been kept clean and tidy. We have our staff deep clean all table tops weekly in addition to wiping them clean after each guest and when necessary. Our soy sauce bottles are washed when refilled and wiped daily. I wish you had mentioned the "soot, dirt, and dust" you saw -- we would have gladly cleaned the area further or re-seated you elsewhere. We have also never (over the span of over 30 years) received an unsatisfactory assessment of our restaurant from the State Inspectors.

I am so sorry for your experience with your server that day. It seems she was not accommodating and we will continue to train and provide feedback to our servers so incidents like this do not reoccur.

I am unsure why you found your dish (Gopdol Bibimbap) to be mostly lettuce and rice. It includes sauteed or marinated vegetables including zucchini, carrot, fern, bean sprouts, and shredded lettuce. Glad to hear you found our hot sauce to be okay. It is homemade and delicious when mixed in the dish!

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback for our restaurant. Again, we really do appreciate it and hope that you will give us another try!

P.S. -- My apologies for the incredibly late response, but better late than never, right? :)

Proctorsville, Vermont
“Wonderful Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Being from NYC and having a Korean Aunt I was a bit nervous to try Asian food in Vermont but I am so glad I did. It was amazing the Kim chi is homemade the sushi has fresh has can be , the service was top notch. I loved the brass tables and the little notes if trivia around the restaurant. I almost forgot I was in Vermont.!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear Patty,

Thank you for your kind words! So glad to hear you love our homemade kimchi and sushi! Also, we appreciate your thoughts on our copper tables and the trivia notes in the booths. The owner's son put the notes there a short while ago.

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback for our restaurant. Again, we really do appreciate it and hope to see you again soon!

Malta, NY
“Great Food in Cool Spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

They do such a great job at the family business. I have eaten here several times, have tried several dishes and it is always fantastic.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear Donna,

Thank you for your kind words! Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback for our restaurant. We really do appreciate it and hope to see you again soon!

Keene, New Hampshire
“Poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

If they are busy, walk away. Rude waitstaff. However, the food is very good.

Visited March 2012
I am so sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience with your server. We believe our servers should always be hospitable and kind. We will continue to train and provide feedback to our servers to ensure that this does not reoccur. Please see this experience as an extreme outlier as our current waitstaff is very friendly and accommodating.

Thank you for your kind words on our food! We hope that this incident is something you can look past and come back for great food and friendly staff.

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback for our restaurant. We really do appreciate it and hope that you will give us another try.

Vermont
“Best Korean food in Vermont!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Have been visiting this restaurant for YEARS... how many?? ever since they opened! Always have the same shared dishes: Jap Chae, Cold Spinach Salad, and pan-fried Pork Dumplings.

Never disappoints! Try it, you'll love it. Ambiance is not top priority... just the FOOD!

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mmm! Those dishes are wonderful for sharing. You are right, ambiance is not our top priority, it is the delicious food! Who needs trendy seats and lighting, anyway? ;)