“I wanted to love it.” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Brew Pub, Contemporary, Pub
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Whetstone Station Restaurant and Brewery combines a large casual restaurant and open air rooftop bier garten, with a small experimental nano-brewery, all located right on the Connecticut River in Vermont. We offer an "inspired pub fare" style menu, with everything from small bites for a few bucks to full entrees. Along with one, always changing unique craft beer of their own they offer dozens of guest craft beers on draft and specialty drinks, all in an amazing waterfront location. The unique round building has been restored into a beautiful fire-lit space with a contemporary and industrial vibe. Indoor and outdoor dining, perched above the river, alongside a steel bridge and nestled between the green mountains make the amazing location a "don't miss" on any visit through Vermont.
Northfield, Massachusetts, United States
“I wanted to love it.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

After a hot & sweaty morning of helping friends move out of their 3rd floor apt, we were treated to lunch at Whetstone. I had always driven by and wanted to try the place, since the new owners, because it's right on the river with a deck to eat outside, my favorite ambiance.

I wanted to love it. Unfortunately, our experience with the food, drinks & service was sub-par. We ordered their "signature" drink, a "Jar-garita" which is a margarita in a ball jar. Too much sour mix. We make them better at home. Not refreshing. Although the menu offers several gluten-free beers, there were no gluten-free options on the menu, except of course for salad. They were able to make my fish tacos on corn tortillas, but the tortillas were not first steamed to soften them. The blackened fish was good, however.

The restaurant was not super busy, but we had to wait a LONG time for the food to arrive.

The view is gorgeous, I love outdoor eating, but I doubt I will go back to this place. My friend's salad was bitter. They also mixed up two of our orders.

Disappointing. I wanted to love it there. :(

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
TimBrady, Owner at Whetstone Station Restaurant and Brewery, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
As a brewery, our "signature drink" is of course our house brewed craft beer! :-) Sorry you didn't like the jar-garita. As for gluten free options, we can actually make any item on our menu gluten free, and even have dedicated kitchen equipment for gluten free prep. I will be sure to pass on the corn tortilla tip to the kitchen as well. We're sorry that you didn't have an awesome first experience with us, but hope that you'll give us another shot - no hot and sweaty help moving a friend from their 3rd floor apartment required next time.

albie02
“great view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

good very good
beautiful views of river
great selection of beer
parking limited
but additional across the street

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kingston, New Hampshire
“Great Casual Restaurant/Brewery in Downtown Brattleboro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I visited this restaurant while visiting Brattleboro for business. The restaurant has a very nice casual vibe and atmosphere and the views of the river are awesome. The menu is simple, but packed with many items that I would eat. I had the Brewer's Burger with Vermont Cheddar Cheese and it was great. I ordered it medium rare and that's exactly how it came. The beer selection is diverse with a vast selection of local brews coupled with unique brews from across the US. They also had one of their own brews on tap and that's what I tried. I highly recommend this restaurant when visiting Brattleboro.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
USA
“Great Location and Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I heard about it, tried it, and liked it. The ambiance is great, the servers were helpful and friendly. The food took a little longer than anticipated, however, it tasted good when it got there.

Whetstone is located right by the river, the view is great inside or out on the patio. I'd highly recommend this place for lunch, dinner, drinks or date night.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Greenwich, CT
“Good food with a fantastic view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

When we called up Whetstone to see if we could reserve, as we were on 91 passing through Brattleboro, they told us the main dining room was closed but the beer garden was open. We weren't sure what to expect, but were so glad we went there. The beer garden is a lovely, hip roof deck overlooking the CT river and the view was amazing. It was buzzing and we didn't feel like waiting for a table, so we sat at the bar.

The food was solid pub type fare, not amazing, but pretty good. We didn't care; the view was so nice. We started with the cheddar ale soup which was really tasty. Then my husband had the sirloin tips which he really liked. My falaffel was good, but not great. Again, go for the ambiance!

• 4 of 5 stars Food