“Impressive Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Brew Pub, Contemporary, Pub
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Whetstone Station Restaurant and Brewery combines a large casual restaurant and open air rooftop bier garten, with a small experimental nano-brewery, all located right on the Connecticut River in Vermont. We offer an "inspired pub fare" style menu, with everything from small bites for a few bucks to full entrees. Along with one, always changing unique craft beer of their own they offer dozens of guest craft beers on draft and specialty drinks, all in an amazing waterfront location. The unique round building has been restored into a beautiful fire-lit space with a contemporary and industrial vibe. Indoor and outdoor dining, perched above the river, alongside a steel bridge and nestled between the green mountains make the amazing location a "don't miss" on any visit through Vermont.
Wilmington, Vermont
“Impressive Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Set at the bottom of the Brattleboro business district, across from the Brattleboro Museum and Art Center (which is currently featuring a Red Grooms show) and nestled in on the banks of the Connecticut river, the fully rennovated contemporary industrial style brew pub and restaurant offers visitors not only a new look but multiple venues to enjoy - a brewpub, a sophistocated relaxed restaturant with extensive offerings, all at reasonable prices, with seating choices either inside, outside overlooking the river, or at the expansive bar featuring great water views.

My wife and I had frequented previous restaurants at this location, but after hearing of the Whetstone's opening and viewing it website menu we decided to give it a try.
We arrived early for our reservation yet were quickly seated and welcomed by our server. We reviewed the extensive drink and food menue, their draught beers (they feature to many to count let alone remember) and looked at filled plates going by to help make our decisions.
To start with my wife selected the fried brie (recommended by the people at the table next to ours and by our server) which my wife praised. I had the crab cake, nicely done without filler.

For entres my wife chose the ribs while I chose the Blue Cheese Wedge Salad covered with steak tips made by combining two menu items. Her ribs, though described as a half rack, was a large portion covered with a tasty barbaque sauce and served with fries and slaw. The ribs fell off the bone and the portion to large for her to eat at one setting (so I helped - they were perhaps the best I've had - she liked them too.) My steak and salad mix, suggested by our server, was a nice mix of the flavors and tastes of both dishes - the steak tips were wonderful having been marinated in a super barbaque sauce and contrasted well with the blue cheese dressing and the wedge salad.

Our server was knowledgable, helpful, and attentive without our getting the feeling that we were being pushed out the door to make room for the next round of patrons. Indeed we had a leisurely hour and a half experience.

Needless to say we intend to visit again in the near future.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Not worth your time to eat here!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I was excited to try this restaurant n was not pleased watsoever!!! My girlfriend had a meal with two pieces of chicken which one was dry n the rice was cold, my steak was cooked well but received it cold as well, took 45 min to receive our food, n the guest next to us waited 45 min to be told food was not ready and they walked out, this restaraunt is not worth the visit, neither the food is great and its pricey, dont waste your time or money here!!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
David H, General Manager at Whetstone Station Restaurant and Brewery, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Sounds like we blew it with your visit to the Whetstone Station. I am very sorry about that, We opened up our Bier Garten for the season a short time ago and introduced a new menu up there, in addition to our full menu downstairs. We are pleased at the response we've had so far, but every once in a while it doesn't quite go as planned. Since your visit and thanks in part to your experience, we have made some adjustments and are pleased with the results. We sincerely hope you will be too...if you come visit us again. Thanks, hope to see you soon.
Beacon, New York, United States
“Waited 1.5 hours, still no food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We went with our 81 yr old mother for a nice dinner by the water on a Saturday night, were told it would be 40 minutes for a table. It didn't look that busy, my daughter manages a popular restaurant, I'm 55, I know what busy looks like. We were finally seated, then after another 1/2 hour we asked when our food would arrive, "soon" we were told. "We're very busy" we were told. If the management cannot handle a 1/2 full restaurant on a beautiful Saturday summer night, then they should get out of the restaurant business. If you don't mind waiting while they pluck your chicken and butcher your cow, then this is the place. We walked out as my mother was falling asleep from the wait.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
David H, Owner at Whetstone Station Restaurant and Brewery, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
All I can say is I'm sorry about your experience this past Saturday evening. You are right, we were not prepared for the number of guests who came in and lingered on a beautiful Saturday night during the time you were here. Power had been out throughout Brattleboro that day and evening and we were trying to recover from our own outages and still accommodate customers, many of whom had no power or had wanted to go to the movies only to find the theater closed. We do have three separate seating areas, including our outdoor patio and upstairs Bier Garten which were also busy during the time of your visit. We have only had all of our seating in operation for two months now and we are certainly learning from our mistakes. Again, my apologies to you and your mother. And as I'm sure your daughter can attest, despite our best efforts, sometimes we fall short of ensuring all of our guests leave happy. As that is the case with you, please contact me directly at the restaurant if you are willing to give us an opportunity to welcome you back at a time convenient for you. We would love to show you how we can improve.
Spofford, New Hampshire
“Simply fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We've been to the Whetstone Brewery twice now and could not be more pleased! The location is scenic and the beer menu extensive. We've tried their homemade chips with blue cheese and their homemade fries with shaved cheeses and a herb oil (amazing!) for entrees we've now had their blue cheese burger, Mac and cheese, chicken sandman, and Mahdi Mahdi tacos.
It has all been fantastic!! This restaurant is a gem and we are happy to drive a half hour to get there!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Darien, Connecticut
“Avoid on weekends”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

When our 30 minute wait turned into two hours we walked out hungry and disappointed but not before complaining to the manager. There was nothing he could do as the place was jammed. Our suggestion is to visit only their bar area as the riverside location is spectacular. Their beer selection is excellent and even better it rotates frequently.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
TimBrady, Owner at Whetstone Station Restaurant and Brewery, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
We're really sorry about that. There was a town-wide power outage and many of our guests decided to hang out here (where we had power and internet) longer than we anticipated. Thanks for your kind words about our beer selection and location - we are really bummed to have let you down and hope that you'll give us another shot.