“Friendly but old” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Brattleboro
Shanghai
“Friendly but old”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

What can I say? It was not as bad as to make us move out, but the Colonial Motel was the worst during our trip. Reception staff was nice and cheerful. The rooms were very large but in a rather flimsy building and, though not dirty, also did not appear particularly clean.
We slept well in our beds. The breakfast was quite poor, basically muffins and coffee.
Thus as a quick fix the motel is ok, but the photos are misleading, it is as much 'colonial' as a the mall nearby.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Brattleboro, Vermont
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Good: The swimming pool, sauna, and hot tub are wonderful. The staff there was very kind and helpful. Defiantly the best part of this hotel.

Bad: Rooms were muggy and smelled funny. I had a newly renovated room, but the carpet hadn't been changed. The furniture was very nice, but the carpet left much to be desired. Glad I only stayed for one night. l would have stayed somewhere else if there was an opening, but it was Columbus Day weekend.

(This is my mother's review. I will not be sending visitors here again.)

Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I checked in too late to be able to change reservations, or I would have. I could barely breath due to the horrible smell and mugginess in the room. I slept terribly as a result. The room was dingy. They also charged over $160 for that night because it was Columbus Day weekend. I was lucky to find a cancellation at a nearby place that charged only a little more. Also, it's located in an area of strip malls and small businesses, so I couldn't open curtains to let in any natural light. I would have slept in my car the next night instead of staying there, but was lucky another place had a room available. The woman behind the desk was courteous.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Bloomington, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The chipped, peeling, worn furniture and shabby decor were the least of it.
The room did appear clean, despite the strong moldy mildew smell. I soon discovered dead bugs in the bathroom and under the AC unit. As it was already late, I requested cleaning supplies at the desk so I could clean my own room. The more I cleaned, the more filth and long black hairs I found in the tiled bathroom and sink area. The bed offered little relief, with multiple stains on the thread-worn sheets, old pilled pillow and a few more long black hairs. At check out, after observing the maids with loose long dark hair, I left a note in the room, suggesting house keeping try hair nets when "cleaning". The front desk couldn't have cared less when I informed them of my experience.

Room Tip: I have stayed in most of the Brattleboro hotels over many years and all are far better! Stay anywhe...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Columbia, SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

My husband and I stayed here many years ago and loved it. I kept a postcard for many years in hopes that we would return. Well, tonight we are here, and I'm sorry to say, it is NOTHING like I remember. The staff was very nice, and the bed and bathroom is OK, but the dated red carpet is difficult to walk across with bare feet. The TV is a flat screen, but it's so small one needs binoculars to see it from the bed. The outside has rotting wood and needs cleaning desperately.

What makes it worse is what we're paying for this dump--nearly $200 because it's Columbus Day weekend.

Stay here if you have no, and I mean NO, other options.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

We stayed in an older room that had seem some improvements, but like other reviewers have noted, the addition of tile, etc., to an otherwise dirty and tired bathroom is a waste. Many different molds have flourished in this room, I'm afraid and I was kept awake by the variety of odors present. We wondered what was under all that carpet, if there had been a flood quickly remedied by recarpeting. Staff was pleasant.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

The fact that it states " Family owned since 1972" well it may not have been the same family I'm really not sure however I felt that everything was just amazing! We stayed 1 night & I highly recommend the suites. I believe that this place will only improve over the next year. They started remodeling the indoor pool/sauna workout area the day we arrived so unfortunately we did not get to experience that. We will definitely come back. The price of the suite was extremely great!! We just were so happy w everything! We spoke to other people staying there & they had the same reaction, impressed. They stated the tavern/restaurant was very good as well. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2014

Been to Colonial Motel & Spa? Share your experiences!