“Renovations have helped....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn

You added Quality Inn to your Saves list
Quality Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1380 Putney Rd, Brattleboro, VT 05301 (Formerly Ramada Hotel and Conference Center of Brattleboro)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Brattleboro
Newtown, Pennsylvania
“Renovations have helped....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed here a couple of times in 2006 (see earlier review) and I wasn't enthralled. Based on reviews that described renovations in process, I gave it another shot. When we arrived, the desk clerk was dealing with an unpleasant situation with another arrival who learned there were no rooms available. I had confirmed my reservation earlier, so I had no problem; however, by that time the desk clerk's nerves seemed a bit frayed from this, and other incidents.

While the air of neglect I had experienced earlier was virtually gone--the lobby and our room were clean and the room was not musty--the renovations felt more like they were intended to get the Quality Inn "up to code," rather than making it especially attractive. The old restaurant, which served the only greasy Indian food I recall eating, was gone and replaced by one with a family style menu and a bar, with little atmosphere. For dinner, our waitress seemed to be going through the motions. The food for dinner and the buffet breakfast were mediocre, and it took awhile to replenish several of the hot items for the latter.

My first review of the QI in 2006 was also among my first for Trip Advisor. In retrospect, based on what I wrote and remember, as well as my subsequent reviews of other properties, I think I should have given it two stars instead of three. The Quality Inn has made strides since then, but going backward was not a real option.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Thompson, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed here a year ago, while they were in the process of upgrading and found it to be a great hotel. This time was even better. Many of the upgrades have been completed. The foyer is brand new, with a real (wood) fireplace that was actually burning. The rooms are clean, the water pressure is fine, the heater not too noisy. The hotel staff is very friendly, not in the sense that they have to be because its their job, but in a genuine manner. Our room was awesome, with a wide screen TV, microwave, refrigerator, desk and couch.

The old restaurant has been converted into an Asian restaurant called Sakura. It is mostly Japanese with a sushi bar and Japanese decor but with some Chinese dishes thrown in. We ate a regular dinner with sushi for an appetizer. All the servers were friendly and efficient. The sushi was delicious. The miso soup was good. The main courses of shrimp tempura and pork katsu were as good as we've had at other Japanese restaurants. Purists may find something to quibble about, but if you want to try some Japanese food at a reasonable price, you cannot beat it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My wife and I and 2 of our children absolutely loved the warm and cozy atmosphere of Quality Inn Brattleboro, VT. Deby McAllister (Director of Sales) was PHENOMENAL!!!
Deby's professional demeanor, courteous hospitality, richly genuine smile and humor were heartwarming and brought back a huge slice of home for us. Deby made our Christmas eve stay the most pleasant one we have ever had in any hotel anywhere!
The Inn's foyer was decorated in full Christmas splendor and the warm ambiance of a toasty fire in the stone hearthed fireplace gently infused us with it's welcoming heat in a pure simplistic early American manner. We warmed ourselves by the fire and relaxed for hours on the soft lounge seats and couches next to the fireplace where we socialized, sipped wine and my wife crocheted another baby blanket. For an entire afternoon, evening and morning, it literally felt to us as if the world had stopped turning and we had finally escaped the fast paced normal daily routine of our lives...sooo sweet!!!
The Japanese American restaurant adjacent to the lobby and accessible from inside the hotel was very reasonably priced. The food tasted great and they had a decent selection of wines to choose from~and even more from the bar if we desired anything not found on the menu.
The complimentary breakfast was hot and hearty too! Ham eggs fresh fruit and juices bagels yogurt waffles...everything you want on a cool New England Christmas morning!
We will definitely return for another stay. The Quality Inn and Suites Brattleboro, VT has my strongest recommendation!!!

Best regards,

Michael Nylander, LT, USN Active Duty
Happy New Year!

Room Tip: They are all very nice
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Burlington VT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Having had a good stay here during a peak season, I found myself in the area again for business just after New Years. The price of the same room I had had in the fall was about one third of what it had been. Seemed like a bargain until I learned about the less attractive aspects of this property. The unlocked outside entry door that so many have mentioned as a security risk, is indeed a security risk. Several of the hotel room doors near that entry showed evidence of being kicked or otherwise damaged with blunt force. I surmise that vagrants come in and try to get access to the hotel rooms.

Another concern is that I observed a mentally ill person walking around the halls in his pajamas and coming into the breakfast room, acting inappropriately, and taking most of the breakfast that was meant for everyone. I am not unsympathetic to the needs of the mentally ill, but I don't expect to see them in my hotel, gobbling up all the breakfast. Even at the winter rate, this hotel costs more than most of those in the vicinity. Don't know if the others also house the indigent in the winter, but don't think I want to find out.

The staff here is good. I don't attribute any of these issues to them. I understand it costs a lot to keep a large facility like this going. So they overcharge at the busy times, and take the cases I presume the town pays for in the lean times. But as a consumer, I think I'll look for another choice in the Brattleboro area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Skaneateles, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Where to begin...Things started off well with a quick and easy check in. I was impressed that the general manager had put herself on duty to allow her staff time with their families for the holiday. From there things went badly downhill. The room was "clean" albeit the curtains were torn and there was no heat on. Upon turning the heat on it clanked, sputtered and smelled of smoke. We turned it off and asked for additional blankets..there weren't any. It was supposed to be a no smoking room but smelled of cigarettes and there were burn holes in the bedspread. The TV had a wobbly image. We could tolerate that. Pillows were awful, as were the sheets. Clean but threadbare. The bathroom had the worst towels I have ever had in a hotel and the bathroom mirror and faucet hadn't been wiped down, or sanitized in who knows how long. The tub had no stopper in the drain. The walls in the room had open molly plugs where frames had been lifted and stollen. We were on the ground floor and the door twelve feet away from our our room was left unlocked all night. There were people in and out through that door all night. Some were clearly residents/transients. It left us feeling quite unsafe. Now some things they bragged about on their web site...pool (disgusting, with the same towels left around the area the whole two days we were there); sauna (disgusting and didn't work); fitness room (disgusting, unheated and all of the equipment was out of service); breakfast was unattended and out of the basics like milk and coffee; Tables had not been wiped down forever. We will NEVER cross their threshold or give them one dollar again! OK so you are probably asking why in the world did we stay there to begin with! No, we are not cheapskates. We had limited availability because the "best" place in town is the Hampton Inn adjacent to the Quality Inn and it was full, as were every respectable country inn. Brattleboro's chamber of commerce needs to be held partly responsible for the lack of "quality" places that are clean, safe and well maintained in the area. DO NOT STAY HERE!

Room Tip: Find somewhere else at all cost!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

My experience with this hotel was a complete nightmare! I was told by 2 different employees, months apart, when I made and confirmed my reservation that I could use a coupon for my stay, only to get there and be told that they don't accept coupons for reservations, only walk ins. Then I was snarked at by both the manager and a front desk associate. I had also called to confirm an early check in days before because I had a wedding that day, only to again be snarled at that I had to wait till 3. I of course was not happy with this nonsense in which they made us wait while they found a completely different room away from our friends room that we had booked with, and expected us to be thankful that "they found us a room." The room was crap. Dirty, old furnishings, completely unworthy of $160 for the night. My friend found trash under her bed in her room. My boyfriend and I ended up leaving at 6:30 in the morning because the bed was so uncomfortable. We tried their "breakfast buffet" and it was of course crap. It didn't even have taste to any of the food, I wonder if any of it even was real food, probably by products and other crap. Do not stay here! Waste of money!

• Stayed October 2012
Qualityinnvt027, Director of Sales at Quality Inn, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Good morning. Thank you for your opinions that were expressed. Over the past several days I have researched your candid expressions that you have listed here. With alot of respect and integrity, I can tell you that we appreciate all of our guests. I am fortunate to work with a very experienced staff that will go above and beyond for our guests as well.

It is true. You did call the hotel on two occassions. On both occassions you were informed that the coupons you wanted to use was for "walk in guests only" and cannot be used for existing reservations. You informed us that you " wished to make a reservation anyway several days in advance to secure your reservation". And again you were informed that the coupon could not be used and was only for "walk in guests". On arrival you then wanted to use the coupon anyway and you were declined by my staff. Therefore you were unhappy but chose to stay anyway.
I tell all of my guests to read the coupons carefully for any hotel with whom you choose to stay.
Look at the conditions and availablity statements and the expiration dates.

Finally, as I tell all of our guests. If you have a special request, a specific need or need assistance please contact us anytime so we can help. We want to make your service and lodging is the best is can possiblly be.

Thank you again for your response.
Burke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Overall the stay here was average, but Chef Mark gave exceptional assistance in a number of areas in addition to putting on a great breakfast. He made the stay much better with his enthusiasm and personable approach to food presentation, and even helped us with local directions and recommendations.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!