“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Black Bear Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bolton Valley
Black Bear Inn
You added Black Bear Inn to your Saves list
4010 Bolton Access Road, Bolton Valley, VT 05477   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Hampshire
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

We booked this as a last-minute overnight. It is not a deluxe place, but that isn't what we were looking for. The inn is clean, cozy and has a country/ski-lodge feel. We happened to be there during unseasonably cold and rainy weather, and still had a great time. Our room had a gas fireplace, so that took the chill away.

The gardens looked beautiful and well-kept, and there is a nice pool and hot-tub (although closed while we were there).

Our room was clean and comfortable, with a king-sized bed and large dresser. Furnishings are country-style, with some antiques and interesting details. Not fancy, but comfortable. Bathroom was spotless.

We had the 3-course prix fixe dinner, and everything was very good and fresh. I had a delicious tomato curry soup. The Black Bear pie was scrumptious. Breakfast consisted of fresh fruit, cereal, homemade muffins and two hot entree sources (french toast and a Vermont Cheddar omelet for us), along with a choice of bacon, sausage or hash. All was excellent, and there was plenty of maple syrup.

The inn is quiet at night, and was not crowded when we were there. Definitely not a spot for people looking for wild nightlife (except maybe actual wildlife!). It is close to skiing for winter, and we would definitely consider going back with our kids to ski at Bolton Valley. The inn is kid-friendly and there were some families there. We would be completely comfortable bringing our kids with us.

We will return. The area is beautiful and this inn is a real find.

Room Tip: There are rooms with porches and hot-tubs...we did not have either, and were fine. Our room could a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

We chose this lovely, secluded spot in Bolton Valley, 25 minutes from Burlington, for our first visit to VT. The room was spotless, with a comfy king bed, easy chair and desk, along with bears everywhere. Innkeeper Jill and her team are charming and accommodating. There is an inviting lobby with stone fireplace, seating, and shelves with books, board games and videos for loan to guests. There are also a nice outdoor pool and hot tub.

There is also a dining room on premises, serving breakfast and dinner, but here is the CAUTIONARY NOTE...

Dinner is served by reservation only and the last seating is at 7 PM!!

Now I knew this place was in the sticks, so I had my wife call and confirm there was a restaurant on site. She did so, but she failed to ask about the hours and the person who answered the call at the hotel didn't bother to volunter the fact. One would think a place that has the server ask you at breakfast if you are going to dine there that night (and what time) would share the same inquiry with a guest calling in from the road.

We rolled in at 7:50 PM, beat, and were advised that the dining room was closed, but there were great alternatives "nearby." We got back again past 10:30 PM, after a long drive to get dinner. I really don't mind that the close the dining room early, but they could have told us so.

One notch down from a 5-star rating for the damper they put on the first night of our stay, but the rest of the visit was very enjoyable.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
BlackBearKeeper, Owner at Black Bear Inn, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
We feel badly that we couldn’t accommodate this lovely couple for dinner their first night at the inn. They are spot-on when stating that we should have discussed our seating times when they called…we actually remember that phone call, and thinking after hanging up “Shoot, we should have asked them for a reservation!”. All of our guest communications (confirmations, etc.) state our dinner times and need for reservations, for guests who book directly with the Inn. Unfortunately, we don’t have the ability to communicate with guests who book via a third-party website (such as Expedia, Hotels.com)…which is how these folks booked.
We will be working harder to make sure ALL of our guests have the opportunity to make dinner reservations with us.
Clifton Park, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I had my wedding there this weekend 5/12/12. The Inn Keepers Jill & Brian couldn't be more accomidating to myself, family and friends. Its like they were Pro's at this because everything just went seemless.
The Inn is Romantic, Rustic, Adorable & the warmth is amazing!
The rooms were clean, decorated perfect to make you feel like you were in your own little cottage. The balcolny Hot Tub was AMAZING! Clean is a big issue with me as I have OCD so for me to say the place was clean and I had not one second thought about getting in the hot tub is HUGE!
The food was GREAT! I asked all my guests if they enjoyed their meals and if they had any issues not one complaint. Jill & Brian thank you again for making our special day so wonderful! Can't wait to come back for a nice romantice weekend just the 2 of us!

Room Tip: Go for the rooms with the Hot Tubs!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

My husband and daughter have recently moved to MA and waned to get a feel for New England which would not be complete without a trip to Vermont. We only had a weekend and wanted to make the most of it. We also wanted to avoid the chain hotels and experience something more authentic to the area.

We were beyond pleased with our stay, despite it being brief. I was initially attracted by the name and then absolutely delighted by the location. It is situated half way up the mountains in a gorgeous valley, you feel very secluded and sheltered yet you are only 4 miles from the nearest village and 30mins tops from Burlington.

The Inn itself was a picture from a postcard! The huge fire in the communal space added to the atmosphere and the welcome from the owner felt warm and sincere. The hotel was very busy with a wedding and we were offered some recommendations of alternative places to eat, which was brilliant.

The room was lovely, cosy and clean. There was an stove in the corner which I imagine is a blessing in the winter months. It was a nice feature, regardless of the weather. The beds were comfy and we all slept well.

Breakfast was wonderful too - there was fruit and scones etc available initially with a cook breakfast selection offered at your table. I enjoyed blueberry pancakes although the egg option also looked great.

We definitely hope to return and would genuinely recommend this hotel.

My daughter (3) loved hunting out the Bears that decorated the Inn in their various forms.

Room Tip: Our room was in the middle of the hotel with a lovely sky light and was perfect for a short stay - I...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

I first learned of the Black Bear Inn about ten years ago when I was searching for a romantic spot in Vermont to travel to. I found it through tripadvisor and I was impressed by all of the favorable reviews. Unfortunately the trip never materialized and neither did the relationship I was in at the time.

Now ten years later I was looking for a special place to go with a special someone and the Black Bear Inn came to mind again. We spent a couple of days in Lake Placid and took the ferry over into Vermont. Vermont was even more beautiful and I was in awe of the location of the Inn.

We drove up the Mountain and arrived at the Inn when the proprietors were out, which we knew and understood. It gave us the chance to marvel at how "cute" the Inn was. The building was empty or so it seemed and it gave us the opportunity to look into the various rooms because all of the unoccupied rooms had the doors open. Each and every room was unique from the other and we knew this was going to be a great place to stay.

We came back after the proprietors Brian and Jill returned. We registered for our room #12 and made our reservations for dinner. Our room was small but cozy and warm. I truly felt like I was in my grandmothers home. Outside our room on a private secluded deck was our hot tub. It just couldn't have been any better.

When we went to dinner we happened to notice in the lobby that there were movies for our use and we quickly grabbed two movies we were anxious to view. As we went into dinner I was struck by how intimate and quiet the dining room was. This Inn oozes of romance. Our dinner was perfect. I had the Delmonico cooked to my perfection. My C/A had the scallops and she Hmmmm'ed about them all through dinner. Brian, the owner was our server and he killed us with his kindness and attentiveness. A perfect host.

After dinner the hot tub and a great movie ended our evening. Day two was exactly the same but this time we meet the other owner Jill. She took an immediate interest in us and gave us explicit printed directions to sights we wanted to see in Burlington.

Sunday was out last day and I wanted to have one of the delicious breakfasts at the Inn. I hmmmmmed all through that also. I had the Chili-Cheese Omelet and I was overwhelmed at how good it was. My C/A had the pancakes which made us laugh because they were huge and fluffy. I tasted one and if we had one more day I would have ordered them. They were delicious.

As we were driving down the Mountain we both exclaimed that we were coming back and before the end of the year. I can't say enough about what a great experience this was for us.

I won't say anything negative about the Black Bear Inn, but my C/A and I agree that our next visit we will get one of the larger front facing rooms. I say this because our rear facing second floor room was smaller than we would have liked. We learned that we "need" a bigger room which the Inn can provide and next time we will plan accordingly.

We loved this place! Brian and Jill you are great hosts!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
BlackBearKeeper, Owner at Black Bear Inn, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
We are so pleased that our guests enjoyed their stay with us in April – and so happy that they remembered us after ten years! Feedback like this is what makes our jobs so rewarding, and our chef will appreciate these comments about our restaurant as well. We very much hope that we will get the chance to host these guests again!
nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

We selected the Black Bear Inn after reading the reviews on Trip advisor, and we were not disappointed, to say the least. Traveling with 2 small children and staying anywhere , besides home is usually more work for us, but not this time. the room we booked (#15) was comfortable with 2 large beds, and the teddy bears in the room became their sleeping buddies. Breakfast was great with choices like french toast, pancakes and scrambled eggs, and fresh fruits every morning. although breakfast is not until 8 am, our girls scurried downstairs after 6.30 am to the main lobby/living room area with the large fire place, where they played every morning in the toy corner. And thankfully for me there was coffee available (self service) , making myself comfortable on one of the sofas. the Inn offers great discount tickets for the Bolton Valley resort , which was a perk . Our kids enjoyed the ski lessons (4-6 years old group) and were tired after a day on the slopes. The complimentary hot chocolate available in the lobby of the Black Bear Inn puckered them up. Although we tried going out for dinner once into town, we preferred having an early dinner (5.30 pm) at the Inn. they offer a great wine selection and the food was very tasty with several choices in each course.The inn keepers Jill and Brian were helpful and they do care about making their guests comfortable during their stay. This turned out to be a wonderful relaxing vacation for us, mainly because of this Inn we chose . it is very family friendly ,and we met many other guests who have been coming back for years ,because of the great service, comfy place and cleanness , great food and all the other perks that are attached to this place. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone with a family, but also noticed a lot of couples having a great time. we will for sure return when the opportunity arises.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

We were looking for a quiet relaxing weekend away in Vermont and The Black Bear Inn did not disappoint it was perfect. I'm a stickler for cleanliness and this place is spotless. We stayed in the Hideaway room and it was what we wanted. Loved the private outdoor hottub it was so relaxing. The room was cozy and quiet as away from the main building. The main building is lovely too just if you are looking for quiet make sure to get a room upstairs. We also ate dinner both nights and the food was just lovely. A choice of about 4 entres (different each night) and everything was really tasty and a great wine selection. This is a very home feeling Inn and will be going back. The owners Jill and Brian take pride in their business and it is evident throughout.

Room Tip: The Hideaway is room 22 and was private and room 21 would also work as it's right beside it.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Black Bear Inn? Share your experiences!