“Eddington House- The Best” 5 of 5 stars

Eddington House Inn
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   21 Main Street, Bennington, VT 05257   |
Ranked #1 of 9 Bennington B&B and Inns
new york, ny
“Eddington House- The Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

My girlfriend and I visited North Bennington over President's Day weekend.
What can I say? The host, Patti, and the Eddington House provide the ultimate escape from the city. The rooms are beautiful and clean, and the breakfasts are out of this world. The rates are also unbeatable. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2007

We had a lovely eight-day stay at the Eddington House! The Fair Suite was very comfortable, the breakfasts delicious, and the owners quite gracious. Patti Eddington provided consistently helpful information about area activities and restaurants, and was always available to answer questions and to provide directions to nearby museums, performances, and stores. Our experience at the Eddington House was first-rate, and quite reasonable.

North Bennington is pastoral, but within a mile or so of Bennington College and Bennington itself, and has its own scenic walks and delightful restaurants.

• Liked — Patti Eddington's graciousness
  • Disliked — everything was quite satisfactory
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Whittier, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

As a young woman traveling alone, I found the Eddington House to be a highlight of my week. I have stayed in B&Bs throughout the U.S. and Europe, and this was one of my favorites. Patti was very friendly, hospitable, and conversational, and she gave excellent advice about what to do in the area (she also recommended a fabulous chocolate cake at a lounge just down the street, and I took full advantage of the recommendation). The House is superbly restored and tastefully decorated. It is clean and inviting. My room (Suzie's Room) was spacious, quiet, clean, and comfortable. The bathroom had a beautiful claw-foot tub. The breakfast was tasty, and there was a lovely view of the neighbor's well-kept garden out the window.

When I was in Maine later in the week, I had some serious concerns about the town where I planned to stay, but not knowing where to go (I am from the west coast) and it being after dark, I called the only person I knew that might be able to give knowledgeable insight: Patti. She remembered me, confirmed my feelings about the town, and recommended another town that would be safe and fun. I found a great little B&B there, and I loved the town so much that I stayed for two nights. Patti definitely went above and beyond simply out of good-will for a fellow traveler, and I think this example shows the quality of person that she is. I have confidence that you will find her and her B&B to be first-rate.

• Liked — The atmosphere, cute/comfy room, great hostess
  • Disliked — I just wish I could have stayed longer
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2007

We spent one night at The Eddington House, and for the most part it was fine. The house has been beautifully restored by the owners. It is a bit warm and lacks air circulation inside but there is a/c to use at your discretion. The hostess is quite welcoming though a bit TOO talkative for us. Our real problem was the "Gourmet Multi-course Breakfast." The first course was a delicious fruit with yogurt and granola dish. The second, however, was "Baked Eggs" that were, at best, half-baked. Truly, our eggs were at least half raw. What surprised me was that the one glance would tell you the eggs weren't properly cooked so they obviously weren't checked before they were served. I'm hoping it was just an off day for The Eddington House.

• Liked — The restoration of the house is beautiful.
  • Disliked — The half-baked "Baked Eggs."
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
boston, ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2007

It was April school vacation and as a working Mom, I was not prepared. Another Mom/friend searched the internet for a place to go in New England with 3 teenage girls for an adventure. Eddington House was like a magnet. All of the communications with Patti were insightful, helpful and easy. She is professional, experienced and warm hearted. The five of us arrived and found the house full of details that messaged thoughtfulness. I was relieved there wasn't alot of clutter or "theme" decor. The linens were high quality whites and there was gracious space in every room. It really felt luxurious. There was a complimentary bottle of wine which the moms sipped before walking to a delicious dinner included in our stay. We were actually surprised how satisfied and comfortable all five of us were. ( 3 teenagers!) Returning to Eddington House the moms imagined another sip of wine but the teenagers vaulted us to bowling--which was a blast. The next morning breakfast was lovely ( fruit, stuffed french toast and other goodies) and again Patti had oddles of ideas for us as we headed to massages (included in our package) in downtown Bennington. The innkeeper's home is through a breezeway to an adjoining building, which affords a comfortable privacy. As we headed home to Boston and shared reflections , we all thought for sure this should be a tradition.

• Liked — Innkeeper. Patti Eddington
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2007

My wife and I had the good fortune of getting to know Patti and staying at her very charming and comfortable B&B for four nights. All was very enjoyable including the great breakfasts provided by Patti and the fresh seafood dinners served at the pub/restaurant a short walk away. I will always remember the wake-up walks, up the street to Bennington College with a warm cup, a snack, and autumn leaves swirling at my feet, yeahhh!!! We toured and hiked through central and southern Vermont and Eddington House was really the perfect location to stay for all that we did. Thanks Again, Patti. We hope to come back and visit you and Vermont soon...

Stayed October 2006
Clarks Summit, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2007

We just returned from celebrating our anniversary with a stay at the Eddington House Inn. Having stayed at B&Bs throughout Europe and the US, I can say it is at the top of my list.

The rooms at the Inn are all clean and spotless with the bathrooms newly remodeled and tastefully done. We stayed in the Fair Suite. It has a queen size four-poster bed which is very comfortable and a small sitting room and the bath had an oversized tiled shower with dual heads. The Fair Suite is my favorite room of the three available.

We instantly felt welcome. Patty is the very best host. She is very familiar with the area and well respected by the local business owners. She gives great advice for what to see, where to shop and directions. At several places we visited, they knew her and spoke very highly of her. We mentioned her name and that we were staying at the Eddington House at one place and they gave us a discount on the maple syrup!

I almost forgot to mention the breakfasts and pastries which are the very best - the baked french toast is delightful. Patty's homebaked morning pastries are wonderful. She is very thoughtful as demonstrated by putting out afternoon homebaked pastries and cookies and telling us to help ourselves to coffee, tea and the bottled water in the fridge.

• Liked — The Host and how clean the rooms are kept.
  • Disliked — no negatives
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Eddington House Inn? Share your experiences!