“Fantastic surroundings, but glad for new owners” 4 of 5 stars

Four Chimneys Inn
3.5 of 5 Guest house   |   21 West Rd., Bennington, VT   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Bennington B&B and Inns
The Oregon Coast
“Fantastic surroundings, but glad for new owners”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2006

Before moving to the West Coast, we lived in Maine, we have been driving by this Inn for years, finally, when we went back to the East Coast, the 4 of us booked 2 rooms for the foliage in Oct 2004, we were thrilled with everything, well, almost,
the rooms with the woodburning fireplace, the dinner downstairs and the great breakfast the next morning, especially the BEST
stuffed French Toast, wow!
The only negative was the owners, they were very stuffy and not very warm, especially on the phone, if it was not on my list to stay there, I would not have made the reservation.
So we are happy to hear that there is a new owner and we will definitely stay again anytime we visit New England, we love the Four Chimneys Inn, its one of those "Grand Dame" but not old and dusty. VERY NICE!

• Liked — Beautiful location, beautiful Inn
  • Disliked — The Ex owners
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay a couple nights
  • Stayed October 2004, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2006

Can't say enough positive about the Inn. The new owners, having taken over in 2005, are doing a wonderful job changing the property into a classy, cozy, inviting place to visit. Very relaxing. Great service. Very accommodating. Good food. Good wine selection (without huge markup).

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2006

We have driven by the Four Chimneys for years and finally planned a weekend there. After a great stay we will definately be back and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic getaway in a very special setting. Our room was impeccably clean. The sheets and duvet in our rooms were freshly pressed and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. The grounds were lovely with many flowers in full bloom. We had dinner and breakfast which were both outstanding. (I had a chilean sea bass that was fantastic and my husband had the duck which he thought was the best he had had in years). Definately a winner all around!

• Liked — Charming. Beautiful grounds and very clean.
  • Tips/Secrets — main entrance is in the back.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2006

We've stayed several times at the Four Chimneys Inn over the years while traveling to the Bennington, VT area . I'm a history and nature buff and my wife loves to shop for antiques in the area. The new owners (Lynn & Pete) have done a remarkable job with the inn, the grounds and the restaurant. They treated us fabulously from the moment we checked in to the moment that we left... I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had free internet access in my room (room#2) now and that there is now a fishing pond in the back yard. The lawns have always looked good but I think they did a great job making them, the gardens and fountain/patio area look fantastic with new plants everywhere. We took advantage of the hammock under the trees by the pond to chill out while we waited for friends to show up.

Our dinner at the Four Chimneys Restaurant, in my opinion, rivaled some of the best I've had. I had the Chilean Sea Bass with a Bell Chardonnay and my wife had the Salmon. I'm not sure if they have a new chef but they are definitely doing something right in the kitchen.

I can't say enough about the metamorphosis that took placethere and I give the new owners two thumbs up for making our visit so relaxing and enjoyable.

AZ

• Stayed June 2006
Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2006

Stayed one night. Slept well, paid $110 for room. Clean and quiet. The new owners seemed distracted by restaurant and did little to advise me about town or sites. We skipped eating dinner there that night-overpriced and boring menu. Went to a great diner in town. Breakfast is good at Inn if you like pigging out so early in day. I wished we had stayed at the Hampton Inn.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Four Chimneys Inn? Share your experiences!