“Hollow Inn - not that bad” 3 of 5 stars

Hollow Inn and Motel
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   278 South Main Street, Barre, VT 05641   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Barre B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“Hollow Inn - not that bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Hollow Inn for one night on our way through Vermont. In spite of all the negative reviews, our experience at the Inn was actually not that bad. We checked in quite late (after 9pm) and the person at reception was not too friendly (though that may have just been because he was tired, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he was a lot more friendly the next morning as we were checking out). We asked for a room that would be quiet and got one arond the back where the pool is (too cold to check that out though). If you're looking at this hotel, keep in mind that check-in seems to "close" at 10pm, though there is a phone outside to call staff if you arrive after-hours. Given that it's not a chain but a small operation, I think this is totally acceptable.

The room was massive, though not in the greatest shape (some cracks in the walls and a bit dated). However, we had no complaints about cleanliness in general, including the bathroom. There were some very obvious stains on the furniture and the carpet needs replacing, but the beds were comfortable and felt clean. There were also no holes in the blankets and no bait traps under the bed (I checked after reading some of the reviews, much to the amusement of my wife!). Can't comment on the breakfast, since we didn't go for it, although it was included. WIFI was also included, and worked fine. And like I said, staff was friendly on checkout!

Given how much we paid for the night ($70), all in all, not a negative experience at all.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

The rooms are as advertised very large and spacious and they offered a seniors discount. The contennial breakfast was satisfactory. The carpet was showing a little wear but was clean. We travel with two Yorkshire terriers and they did not object to having our pets in the rooms and they had ample space for pets around the parking area.

Will stay there again when travelling in that area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Walpole, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Motel Hollow is hollow .. digs down in your pockets...pay a high rate for not much more than a cheap old dirty stinky motel with no late checkin facility. They close office at 10pm and therefore you cannot arrive late. There is no service after 10 and you are pretty much on your own from that point on. Rooms are not up to the standard and breakfast is just a sloppy old muffin and donuts type. .Staff is non existent practically. Just a bad place all around.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
NW Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

They weren't kidding when they advertised the rooms as being huge. We stayed in the main building which is very impressive looking as you drive in. Although our room number was in the 400's, we could access the hallway with a half flight set of stairs from the side parking lot or at ground level through the patio door on the back side. The rooms were the largest encountered in some time and well equipped with fridge, microwave etc. There were probably on 6 to 8 rooms in this wing and it was very quiet. The free breakfast offered ample choices.
I had stopped at another hotel and they wanted 149 per night, then at a Days Inn nearby that wanted 126 and looked very old. Neither place would offer a seniors discount. The fellow at the desk at the Hollow said 119 and then dropped 10 off for seniors. Very happy with the choice we made just by following the directions on our Garmin GPS unit.

Room Tip: They have drive up motel type units and also a main building more in the style of a small hotel. We...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
ARLINGTON
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for business for 3 weeks. Unfortunately, we were there after the major flooding in the area, so there were very few options for lodging. While the rooms were very large and the carpet clean, the wi-fi was great, that is about all the positive things I can say about this property.
This place is terribly worn out and the owners do not spend any money on upkeep. The Inn itself is in a little better condition that the motel part, but not much. the motel room bathroom was dirty, the shower curtain was orange from mildew and the showerhead had black mold on it.The towels were very thin and small -- like something I would use for a rag. The housekeepers never changed the sheets while we were there. There was no desk chair, only a wood chair, so working was difficult. We checked in with the intent to only stay a few days, and would have left if we could find anthying else. the motel went ahead and charged our credit card for the first few days, then charged those days again when we checked out at the end of our stay. We had to come back twice to get the situation taken care of, and even then the manager was trying to get out of it, saying he couldn't find the records, etc. Only when TWO OTHER PEOPLE also stopped by the desk to complain they had been overcharged did he finally credit our account for the overcharged amount. Apparently that is something that is done here on a regular basis. I intend to contact the BBB to report this. Also, the "extensive" continental breakfast was a joke -- waffles, bread, cereal, juice and coffee. never any fruit or eggs or anything else. And I would often see the items there day after day, and they were stale. DO NOT STAY HERE!!

Room Tip: DO NOT stay in the rooms in the back of the motel section.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Medford, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

am not sure if this area has scarcity of rooms or what, but I paid almost $200 for this dump. I was greeted first by some Indian lady with a horrible accent that I could barely understand. Then I was given the worst, maybe the last room, or the best it was hard to tell. I was offered breakfast which was a slap on my face as breakfast was just name sake to make u feel better and it is nothing more than grocery store near expired donuts and coffee...stale and hard. As I had no other options but to sleep in my car i let myself get robbed at this dump. I would not put my worst enemy to stay here...even at gunpoint.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Harwinton, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

This place was disgusting! Old, used, stained furniture and smelly. It was extremely overpriced! I made the reservation online and when I got there, the owner(?) told me the rate was 20 dollars more than what my confirmation price was. He asked me to prove the rate by showing him a print out of my confirmation. Luckily, I was able to print this confirmation off my computer. He then told me that our well behaved 15 year old yorkie would be 20 dollars per night!. This information was given to us as we were checking out. So, he got the price he had originally wanted to overcharge me. Very crooked operation. DO NOT USE THIS MOTEL!!!! SLEAZY!!!! There are other reasonably priced establishments in town of better quality. I am telling all my familyand friends to avoid this motel/inn!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hollow Inn and Motel? Share your experiences!