“Romantic Getaway for any Season and Occasion” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fan House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barnard
Fan House Bed and Breakfast
You added Fan House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
6297 VT-12, Barnard, VT 05031   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Barnard B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Romantic Getaway for any Season and Occasion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

We spent a delightful weekend during the cold VT winter month of February and enjoyed our welcoming host, the tastefully furnished rooms, the comfort of a woodburning fireplace in our bedroom, the luxurious linens and the gourmet breakfast. We loved every moment and made a promise to return.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cooperstown NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

We just love this place! THANK YOU, Sara -- the room was luxurious (cashmere blankets!), the breakfast was deliciousl, the firewarm and cozy on a damp, rainy day, and there was even a rainbow when the sun came out! I love the "new" library---i don't know of any hotel or inn or B&B where the selection of books available to us is so eclectic---wonderful! The setting is perfect: hidden away but not far from great restaurants and the beautiful lake and countryside... We can't wait to come back and see the beautiful garden in full bloom... Will see you in a few weeks... and again this summer... and again.... and again...

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

We recently enjoyed a stay at The Fan House while visiting the Woodstock area for a friend’s wedding. We arrived on the later side, but Sara could not have been more accommodating and left a note out for us with a little snack knowing we had arrived after the restaurants in the area had closed! We were out and about much of the time with wedding-related activities, but our time at The Fan House could not have been more enjoyable and cozy. We stayed in the Red Toile room. Breakfasts were yummy and the fireplace in the living room was so relaxing and Sara has a wonderful library of books which was fun to browse through. We had a really nice stay and we will definitely come back when we have more time to enjoy the beautiful house and Silver Lake!

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

Last year I was unable to make my annual trip to my favorite get away, The Fan House in picturesque Barnard, VT. My last visit was October 2008!!! On each visit, Sara, the proprieter, always greeted me with a warm weldome! After a tour of her home, I was shown to my beautiful room, the Fireplace Suite. Over the huge comfortable bed is a skylight where one awakens to sunshine, passing clouds or falls asleep gazing at the stars. My room was always set with a vase of fresh flowers from her garden. At the end of the day I looked forward to luxurating in the huge claw footed bathtub! Breakfast is something else! In the mornings the aromas of freshly brewing coffee and apple muffins baking in the oven wafted up the stairs. Breakfast is taken in the cozy dining room starting with a "continental style" serving of granola, fruits or juices, followed by a hearty quiche, omlet, or other dish! Often other guests join in breakfast and conversation around the dining table.
One will not be bored while visiting the area! Barnard itself is a treat- one cannot pass up a trip to the quaint General Store, a swim in Silver Lake, or a hike up the road! Sara has an "inborn" intuition as to guests interests and is a resource in steering visitors to great places to eat and visit.
I always feel at home at the Fan House, know there will be excellent service, will sleep well, enjoy wonderful meals, and have a great time! Whatever my need, Sara is there to take care of it!!! Yes, I am planning a return trip to Vermont and will stay at the Fan House in Barnard!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

I was seduced by the glowing reports I read here to book this B&B for our trip around New England last autumn. The house is indeed charming and the location is very pretty, but our stay was pretty much ruined by two things.
Firstly the reception we received was quite frosty. We have no idea why - we stayed in lots of B&Bs and Inns during our trip, and met really lovely hosts, who were very welcoming. This was the solitary exception. We weren't late arriving (4.45pm) and didn't ask for anything unusual, so we have no explanation for it.
Secondly, if we thought the reception was frosty, the room was positively icy! There is absolutely no need for the room to be so cold. We piled every available blanket on the bed (including towels) and slept in our jumpers, and were still cold. I live in an 150 year old draughty house, so I know about the problems of heating older buildings, but I would have been incredibly embarrassed if I had a visitor who was so cold, let alone a paying visitor. My advice to Sara is splash out and buy a plug in heater to take to the chill off the rooms - you charge enough for the rooms to be able to afford it!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
SallyDuncan, Owner at Fan House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 20, 2010
The Fan House regrets that our guests experienced discomfort. Vermont can be VERY cold and unfortunately cold came unseasonably early in October this year for a short week, before warming up again. The Fan House was not yet "buttoned down" for the extreme cold; this is a process that normally happens in mid-late November. Had my guests told me they were uncomfortable I could have provided a plug-in heater to take off the chill in the bedroom. In fact, I had no knowledge of the issues around this visit until the posting came through. This is an 1840 lathe and plaster house with clapboard siding and an inherited one-size-fits-all heating system which I hope to replace when I have saved up $30,000.
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

From the moment we arrived late into the night until we completed our trip after extending by a day (yes, it was that good!), we could not have had a better time on our first trip to VT. Barnard is a small secluded village outside of the more bustling town of Woodstock, both easily accessible from multiple big cities like Boston and Burlington (about 2.5 hour drive from either). Set off of a country road, the B&B itself is very accessible and makes a great location for skiing, other outdoor activities, and simply relaxing. The nearest ski mountain is Suicide 6, a small, never busy mountain that meets the needs of skiers at all levels. Last but no least, the owner of the B&B (Sara) will take perfect care of you with delicious meals, flexibility to be as you want to be, and is wonderful to talk to. We had a wonderful time and would certainly go back.

Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed at Fan House in Barnard, VT for two nights this Valentine's weekend and we can't wait to go back.

Vermont is a beautiful and idyllic outdoor state and The Fan House's location in Barnard is no different. The house--built in 1840--is nestled in the tiny village and is walking distance to the Barnard General Store which only adds to the area's charm. The house itself is old and largely true to its original build although there has been some tasteful renovation on the rooms upstairs. We stayed in two of the Fan House's three rooms: first, in the Yellow Toile and second, in the Fireplace Suite. Both rooms had an enchanting old New England charm to them complete with low door frames, colonial-style latches, and old wood floors. The Fireplace Suite features a shallow fireplace, sofa, table with chairs, large warm rug and a king-size bed in a bay of windows (with a skylight overhead.)

Sara, the proprietor, was very accommodating before and during our stay. She recommended a flower shop in Woodstock where I could order flowers to be delivered; and she was available to accept that delivery when it came. She also made arrangements for an in-room massage and made reservations for us at a local restaurant. On top of all that, Sara was very warm and inviting for the entire duration of our stay and we even had a few comfy conversations with her by the kitchen's toasty wood-burning stove.

While it's true the rooms can run a bit cool in winter, Sara mentioned her plans to add a space heater to each of the rooms (in addition to the one in the Fireplace Suite); and diving under the ample bed covers with a companion provides plenty of warmth through the night. : )

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Fan House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!