“Cheap, Clean & Safe ... Motel 6 does it again” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Wendover

Motel 6 Wendover
You added Motel 6 Wendover to your Saves list
Motel 6 Wendover
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   561 E Wendover Blvd, I-80 at Exits 2/410, Wendover, UT 84083   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Wendover
Melbourne, Australia
“Cheap, Clean & Safe ... Motel 6 does it again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I drove across the Nevada desert from Lake Tahoe to visit Bonneville Salt Flats. 6+ hours in a car, amazing scenery, but a complete pig to drive. Long straight roads across an endless Basin - makes you feel like a temporary blip in the cosmic story (& no, I'm neither stoned nor drunk atm ... just being reflective on life and it's meaning).
My lodging expectations weren't high because it was a Motel 6 and they pitch themselves as 2 star accommodation. As low as my expectations were out in the Nevada desert, they dropped to the floor when I actually drove in to Wendover. I'm sure the people who live here are good & decent, but the place itself is sad and broken.
Anyway, as the room cost less than $40/night I was happy with it. Compare to the $350/night I was paying recently at the Hilton Union Square in San Francisco, it serves the same purpose.
I had no reservation, the staff were courteous and everything in the room works. Lots of people with small dogs stay here ... or maybe it's just that lots of people with tiny dogs travel and treat the dogs like part of the family ... maybe I'm just tired after a long drive ... maybe Paris Hilton has a lot to answer for with this whole 'silly small dog in a handbag' movement that's been growing for a decade... yeah ... that'll be it ... Thanks a lot Paris!!

Room Tip: When staying here, first be thankful you can shut your door on the 'real' Wendover cos it...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
greenacres
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Came to the motel 6 after being given unacceptable rooms down the street. Our rooms were clean and tidy and had comfortable beds. Now we know where to find really good prices and pleasant accommodations if we come back to Wendover. I have no problem recommending this Motel 6 for a nice room on a budget. The truckers were kind of noisy really early, but that was a minor inconvenience.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

We were passing through Wendover and needed a place to stay that was dog friendly.
The positive thing about this place is they do not charge extra money if you have a dog. This was great as most places have a fee. That is why I gave 3 stars . But I wanted to give the motel 2 stars for its room quality.
The other positive is it is very affordable. But remember you get what you pay for.
The negative about the room was it was dirty. The bedding and bathroom. Sheets and pillows did not fit the bed. Pillow was lumpy and scrunched up ball. Carpet was disgusting. Air quality poor. My husband could barely breath. I would spend the extra money and pay to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

This is our second time spending a night on our way out of town after skiing at SLC. The motel was acceptably clean, and the service was very good. Being able to park directly outside the room is very convenient with a car load of ski gear to bring inside. Our door lock had problems (and needs replaced), but the guy at the desk easily showed me it operated properly as long as the handle was lifted up instead of down.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I stayed for one night and was completely appalled at this place. The room was freezing cold all night and when we asked the service desk to bring us more blankets, the response we got was that we have to come get them ourselves. Also the place smelled like dog and was not clean at all. I am never giving these people money again!

• Stayed January 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Way better than the Mo6 in Winnemucca. Traveling with the dog so we had few options. Room 238 was around the back and super quiet. I was shocked that we got a king sized bed--what a luxury at a cheap motel. My usual beef is with pillows at nice joints and crappy ones. Most are too puffy and hurt my neck. No complaints here. Nice long flat pliable pillows and sheets that smelled clean and bleachy. They even had free wifi!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Rowlett, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I recently stayed two nights at this property, and stay at other Motel 6 locations from time to time when cheap, basic lodging is what I am looking for. And that is what this property offers.

The motel is located just east of the Utah/Nevada state line along the Business I-80 route through Wendover and is set back far enough from the highway so that road noise is not a problem. This is a traditional style Motel 6 that is in generally good repair. The rooms are not of the upgraded variety, but mine was clean and comfortable. The climate control worked well, the mattresses were comfortable, and the shower provided ample hot water.

On the plus side, the check-in process was handled by an efficient, pleasant person. i had a confirmed reservation but arrived very late - after 3:00am - but, unlike most Motel 6's, I did not have to check in through the small night window. The lobby was open, and I was able to complete the process there.

And, unlike most Motel 6 properties, the room had a "do not disturb" hangtag, which I appreciated, as I had arrived late and didn't want to be disturbed in the morning.

On the minus side, housekeeping services are provided only on an "on request" basis rather than automatically. Since my stay was only 2 days, I didn't bother to ask for service, but I assume that it would have been provided routinely had I asked. But as I've never seen such a practice at any other Motel 6, I mention it here, because it is a bit out of the ordinary, since housekeeping is a typically a standard service provided on a daily basis without having to be requested.

Also, I found that there was a considerable amount of trash left outside of guest room doors, and little seemed to be done to clean things up. My stay occurred right after a major motorcycle race event at the Bonneville Salt Flats, and motel occupancy was quite high with many race participants staying there. I did not encounter any problems or disturbances from the other guests - everyone was well behaved - but the grounds were quite messy with room debris such as pizza boxes, beverage containers, and other personal trash. I would have expected the management to keep the grounds in better shape, considering the occupancy levels and the amount of debris, since the guests themselves were not taking their trash to the appropriate bins.

Overall, this motel was pretty much what I've come to expect from Motel 6 and did deliver reasonable value for the money. Senior rates are available (10% off) to those 60 or older, and, as of this writing, booking via the brand website offers special internet rates that also happen to be 10% off. I've stayed here before, although it has been quite a while - and I would stay here again.

The 5 casinos of West Wendover, Nevada, are just a few blocks away, and there is a small supermarket nearby and a gas station/convenience store across the street. Fast food options, including McDonalds, are just up the road on the Nevada side of the line, past the Peppermill Casino.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Motel 6 Wendover? Share your experiences!