“Stay anywhere BUT here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Vernal
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Virginia
“Stay anywhere BUT here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2008

We arrived in Vernal in thick fog from Salt Lake City about 7:45 pm. I had specifically requested a room with two beds for my family. We checked in and went to our room only to find we had one bed. So, we went back down to the desk to ask for the room we reserved. There was a young girl working the front desk that was obviously relatively new to the job. I've been that girl so I politely pointed out that I had reserved a room with two beds. She told me she saw that on the reservation but they had no other rooms. (Why didn't she say something before we checked in? Thought this but didn't say it - I was being nice.) I asked if there was a rollaway we could use. No, they don't have rollaways. I told her, very nicely that I needed another bed for my family. She asked if a pull out couch would do. "Yes, that would do nicely, and the room rate will be as if I were in the room i reserved?" "Oh yes."

We moved to our new room and it was nice. A little oddly renovated - The closet was in the bathroom... but it didn't matter. It was getting late and the town was obviously closing down. We had been travelling all day and needed to get some food. We moved our luggage to the new room and I went to the front desk to return the key to our first room. This is when I am told that, no the room rate will not be the same afterall and we would have to move the next day. I was again very polite but told her that was impossible. I appreciated the effort to put us in an appropriately appointed room but that I would be unable to move the next day. In the meantime the young lady is on the phone with her general manager asking her what to do. By now over an hour has passed. I spoke to the general manager on the phone. The conversation started poorly when she demanded to know why i was being so unreasonable. She said they made a mistake and wanted to know why i couldn't just move the next day. Again, I felt as though I remained polite, but firm, and told her this was not possible, my family had plans and I could not and would not move. She did offer to get us rooms in another motel. However, we were travelling with another couple and had only one rental car. At this point and hour and a half had passed, we had not had dinner, and it seemed unreasonable to change motels at this late time when we had a room that wouls suit our purposes.

Finally she told us to just stay in the room but I would never be allowed back in that Best Western again! I made sure that I was staying at the two bed rate I had originally reserved and she told my yes. I said thank you very much and we went off in search of dinner only to learn that most everything closes down in Vernal about 9:00pm.

The hotel itself was okay. It was clean. The two rooms I saw had fridges and microwaves. The bed was comfortable and temperature regulation in the room was good. Because we were there during a warm up there was a lot of snow melt so it probably isn't fair to comment on the outside appearance - it was muddy. There is a safety issue I think because the gutters leak so bad that it causes a great deal of ice build up in the parking area - you really have to be careful. Finally, I was very surprised that they did not offer at least a continental breakfast.

The Best Western Antlers is more in line with an Econo Lodge/Super 8. It is definitely overpriced and not a good value for your money.

Even if I had received good customer service I probably would not stay in this motel again. I certainly cannot recommend it to anyone. There appeared to be a very nice Holiday Inn Express right down the road

• Liked — Check Out
  • Disliked — Check In
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Palm Desert, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

Stayed overnight and were pleasantly surprised at the large room size- 2 Queen beds, couch, 2 loungers, small frig and microwave, TV. Very Comfortable and clean. Within walking distance of the Dinosaur Museum, etc. Restaurant next door.
Would stay here again if traveling in the area.

• Liked — convenience and large confortable room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Penarth Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

This was a charming hotel that had a decent pool along with a clean hot tub and exercise area. The rooms were bright and airy. The reception staff were very welcoming. There was a nice family restaurant next to the hotel which gave good value for money. Across the road the breakfast at Betty's was stunning!!

Stayed August 2007
wgc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2007

Stayed here for a single night in September 2006.

Another stopover, and we had a relatively quiet room, at least the effort had been made to ensure we were as far way from the main road as possible. There was a fridge and microwave, as well as access to an internet PC in the lobby, along with free coffee.

Didn’t make use of the pool, and unfortunately the hot tub was out of action – which was a little disappointing as we would probably have made use of this.

Fairly basic, but it was OK for a single night stopover.

• Liked — Relatively quiet
  • Disliked — Hot tub out of action
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Warrenville, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2006

Nice hotel for the area; Vernal is not exceptionally large nor is there much else around. Very expensive for location (we paid approximately $105 with tax). Small room, but adequate. Nice bathroom (recently redone). There was an outdoor pool, but they had it locked so we were unable to use. The hottub was indoors, but it was not very hot nor were the jets working. No breakfast was included; we ate across the street (not at JB's next door) - it was a very nice local diner.

• Liked — Location - there isn't much else around Vernal
  • Disliked — Small Room, Pool Outdoors and was Locked, No Breakfast
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't expect a whole lot out of Vernal
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2006

Our room was very large, with 2 queen sized beds, a pull out sofa and 2 chairs with a table. The room was clean and the frig was useful. The pool is outdoors and has a nice 1.5 ft. separate area for toddlers. The hot tub is in the exercise room which has several machines and a tv. There is an outdoor playground which is a very old metal jungle gym, but my children enjoyed the swing and slide regardless. Overall a nice, clean and quiet place to stay in Vernal.

• Liked — spacious room
  • Stayed August 2006
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
SLC, Ut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2006

Just returned from a stay at the BW Antlers in Vernal Utah. Hotel was great. Large rooms, very clean, nice pool, very helpful staff, reasonable rates. We've stayed in several hotels in town, and the Antlers tops them all.
Bad news is that the dinosaur quarry at Dinosaur National Monument has closed indefinately due to dangerous damage to the building. Huge disapointment, but not the end of the world. There are a lot of fun things to do in Vernal. The museum of natural history and the wild west museums are still open.
The highlight was a trip to the McConkie Ranch in Dry Fork canyon, about seven miles from center of town. Here you will find some of the highest quality Indian petroglyphs in the world. Be sure to take the lower path to the Three Kings panel. Unbelievable! You can walk right up to them (be careful not to actually touch any). Leave a donation for the owners of the land in the small shed, otherwise it's free.
The upper trail is much harder walking (climbing) and the rock art is not nearly as spectacular. Best to go in cooler weather, or early morning. Medium dificulty hike, but take lots of water.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN Antlers? Share your experiences!