“Very basic, but met our needs” 3 of 5 stars

Bryce Pioneer Village
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   80 S. Main St., P.O. Box 119, Tropic, UT 84776   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Tropic
Irvine, California
“Very basic, but met our needs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

We (5 adults) stayed here for 1 night during our visit to Bryce National Park. The room was very basic, but the price was comparatively very cheap as well. We were ok with a basic room since we were going to spend most of our time in the park and only needed the room only to shower and sleep. I was initially apprehensive when I booked the hotel (thought the price was too low) and was hoping that the rooms were not too run down. When we arrived in the late in the evening (spent the day in Zion), the girl at the front desk recommended that we go to Clarke's restaurant which was a short drive on Main Street (super recommended, will post a separate review). The room was spacious, had 3 beds (didn't need to get separate rooms which was a plus), limited furnishing, but was clean. The beds weren't as comfortable as what you get in 3+ star hotels, but was ok. Had a good night sleep (that we had been hiking the entire day certainly helped), woke up the next morning and headed out to spend the day in Bryce National Park.

Overall, this hotel was certainly value for money considering that we were looking for a basic one night stay near Bryce National Park.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Akron, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Booked 3 nights in Sept. So called cabin ok, dark & dreary, in desperate need of a remodel. We wouldn't leave luggage on the floor.Went to dinner, we returned got comfy and were going to watch TV. We pulled the bedspread way down, it was white underneath, I turned on a small bedside lamp, jumped up because of what I saw on the spread. We put the bug in a baggy and I checked my IPad to see what this was. Yep...a bed bug. OMG, we immediately went to the office, the girl was closing but let us in. She said no it was a beetle and then called the owner who lived close. He confirmed it was a bed bug. He said he could spray the room, I said no I'm not staying in that room. All rooms full. The girl called around, everything booked, found 1 room down the road. She said it was comparable to this place. Without the bugs. No, our room cost more and no breakfast. They did take our 3 nights off of our CC. We sent 2 emails asking the owner for some kind of reimbursement for what we lost in our 3 days. Finally got a reply...no we can't refund you anything. Where there's one bed bug there's more. Stay elsewhere. Not worth the price.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Guerneville, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Tropic is a good central location for Bryce and Escalante. As for the cabins, the staff were really friendly and helpful, and even gave everyone a price break during the federal parks shutdown (which was greatly appreciated), but frankly the place needs to be better kept up. The room we were originally put in stank of cigarette smoke and cleaning chemicals, and we managed to get moved to one that smelled ok, but both of those rooms lacked working porch lights and my wife tripped and fell on the step in the dark. And internet was terrible. And overall, at $75 I thought these little rooms were overpriced, but were comfortable enough for their small size once we were out of the stink room.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
loomis ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

While most people stay in the cabins, we opted for the campgrounds. Picnic table and restrooms nearby. It could have used a bit more shade and the restrooms needed attention, but staff was very friendly there. Tropic is about 15 minutes away from the entrance to Bryce National Park and not a bad option for those on a budget. Not sure if it's windy all the time, but the wind really blew the 3 nights we were there in June. Made it difficult to cook or enjoy sitting outside.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Staff was friendly and there was easy access to our room from parking lot. However, wifi didn't work, rooms were small, AC plug didn't work so I luckily changed plugs and it worked and we found 2 strange bugs about an inch long in our room and one crawled on me while trying to fall asleep.

I'd recommend somewhere else unless you need a place to stay like we did for the half marathon and everything else was booked and expensive.

• Stayed July 2013
Forest Ranch, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed two days at this location and can not recommend it.... The advertisement is miss-leading! These are NOT cabins. They are tiny, un-kept duplex units barely large enough to turn around in for a premium price. Tropic itself is a seasonal three block long stop to Bryce Canyon City where Bryce Canyon National Park exist... about ten miles further west on Hwy 12. Tropic's businesses are few and each charges ridiculous prices for what is offered. $14.00 for a bowl of pasta, $3.50 for a cup of bold coffee or a run through the one grocery store where I did fined an apple to eat. But the Bryce Pioneer Village is really the Tropic Pioneer Village that caters to foreign tourist brought in on buses. Unfortunately, the room I had was less then clean with worn-out towels, peeling paint, and no movie (HBO, Staz, Showtime)channels. In addition, the staff was so-so when it came to customer support. Top this with no access to the room until four PM, the rowdy bar that stays loud a stone's throw on the property, the dilapidated locks and doors and siding, and the 1.5 inch gap at the room's entry door bottom which allows in cold air and unwanted crawling creatures, etc... Just don't stay at this place. I'm glad my experience at this stop is over. Go the extra miles to Bryce Canyon City where you are next to the Canyon and not in an imitation/want-to-be scrap of a town named Tropic. You have to wonder why a three block town in the middle of a high desert is named Tropic?

Room Tip: Fined another hotel or cabins... There a many to choose from... and pay a little extra if you must.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Logan, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

There wasn't anything very nice about this motel, but I found it acceptable. I stayed there to enjoy Bryce Canyon, not for a luxurious hotel experience. My room was old and a little dingy, but it was clean. The water pressure in the shower was pretty low. I wasn't ever able to connect to the WIFI. There is a nice, grassy area with picnic tables behind the cabins. The staff was polite and helpful. I don't think I'd opt to stay here again, but it wasn't too bad and I don't have any serious complaints.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Bryce Pioneer Village? Share your experiences!