“Overpriced but beautiful” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sundance
Bevelry Hills CA
“Overpriced but beautiful”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

We spent 5 days here and it was far too much. For starters, $75 lift tickets for 4 slow chairlifts makes the $90 plus tickets at bigger places seem like a bargain. There is no nice lodge here, no place for your non-skiing friends and family or kids to hang out, and no where to go when the wet spring snow is getting you cold and wet. The resort is ok, but also overpriced. The amenities are minimal, and the front desk staff totaly unprofessional. The rustic feel of the place is amazing, and Redford really does ski his mountain, but there is little to do other than ski or get a massage in the very basic "spa." or use the single tread mill in the "fitness center" which is a yurt (meaning a tent). More than one night is a bore. Use your kitchen, the grill is overpriced and the food quality is poor.

• 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
SundanceChris, Director of Sales at Sundance Resort, responded to this review, September 12, 2008
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your opinions on TripAdvisor. The opinions of our guests serve to direct us toward service or facility enhancements that will improve the Sundance experience.

The ski mountain at Sundance offers a very different experience than many of our overdeveloped competitors. We offer 450 incredible acres of skiable terrain covering 2 mountains. For guests looking to enjoy their ski vacation and escape the overwhelming crowds found at other ski resorts, Sundance is ideal.

At only $45, our full day weekend lift tickets are a steal. We have two day lodges (one at the base and one at the summit of the ski mountain) where guests can enjoy a hot drink or an icy cold beer.

The Foundry Grill is an award winning restaurant in Utah and consistently wins Best of State. Additionally, in 2008, Sundance was ranked second in the Best of Food category nationally on the Conde Nast Traveler's Gold List.

We hope to see you again this winter. We are expecting another banner year with deep powder and blue skies!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

We stayed for two nights mid march as a weekend getaway. The resort is a great setup, the bellstaff and the wait staff in the restaurants are excellent. We had our 2nd problem (in 2 stays) with the front desk. Somehow we get a desk agent with attitude about helping the guests with problems/questions. We wanted to switch rooms due to the first room being unacceptable to us for $300 per night. We were told the hotel was sold out and there was nothing for them to do, after I didn't give up, a room magically appeared for a higher rate and we were offered that. It just kind of sours your weekend when the front desk check in process starts off poorly.

After that, the bellstaff (who will drive you all over the property in their new hybrid lexus suvs) was excellent in helping us, the new room was beautiful (ask for 6A if you can) with outside decks and a private bedroom with jetted tub. The tv service sucks but who really is there to watch tv. Good sized kitchen with dining table, big fireplace and great views. The ski hill is not Olympic quality but it's right there in your face and very inexpensive for lift tickets and their rental gear is good quality.

The Oak Bar is a great place to relax (just charge all those drinks to your room bill), the general store had a pizza made for us one night when we wanted to take something to go. Food at the Foundry grill (all three meals) is very good, the Sunday bruch (included in our room prices, ask for it for you too) was VERY good. The Tree room is for dinner only and is some of the best dining we have in Utah. The menu usually has several choices of local game and their deserts are very good (we had the churro and hot chocolate).

The service of almost every department; the set up of the resort ; and the great setting is a reason to visit this mountain retreat, just be ready to get some attitude from the front desk.

P.S. Do not take any rooms up by the Spa that are in the basement, very noisy from the guest in the upper units.

• Liked — Beautiful Location
  • Disliked — Front Desk Service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2008

We just returned from a road trip to Las Vegas that was to include a 2 night stay at Sundance on the way. Two adults, 2 pre teens and the dog. I think part of my disappointment is that I was very excited to see Sundance, and I think I got myself expecting too much. Part of that was due to the expensive price of over $500 per night for the Mountain Loft Suite. (they charge $100 for the dog)
The site is very beautiful but as others have mentioned remote. Glad we got groceries in Park City. I had expected individual cottage/cabin type accomodations, but they are very close together and attached in "blocks". I asked about hiking trails, but there are none in the winter due to the snow, so there was no where to let the dog stretch his legs (or me either) After we arrived I walked him just around the complex and discovered on my return (by now it was dark) that they had given me the wrong keys and I was locked out. Had to walk quite a long way back to guest registration to get the correct keys.
The loft suite is not suitable for families with young children. It is an odd configuration that to get to the loft you must climb a ladder. I was nervous climbing it! There is another way up there, but you have to exit your unit, go out into the common hallway, up the stairs and into the upper door. I would not have been comfortable letting a child younger than 8 or so to stay up there. Also no bathroom up there so what happens in the night for the kids if they have to go?
The suite had a few minor problems - mold around the bathroom sink, loose fixtures - nothing major.
In summary, I think if the price had been more reasonable, we would have been quite happy. We had booked for 2 nights, but discussed with the manager our concerns and were able to leave after the 1 night and get a refund for the second night.

• Liked — Beautiful scenery
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

We stayed here for 5 nights in October (yes we are just getting around to writing our review). As has been stated often, the setting is beautiful. We were between seasons and able to go on some hikes. We even had some October snow which was a pleasant surprise.

We booked a room in one of the cottages. Be aware that these are not separate cottages as you would expect but rooms in multi-roomed buildings. The room was pretty enough in a rustic way and bordered a babbling creek.

Our problem was with the staff and the lack of information about resort amenities. In the room there was a brochure about things we could pay for, spa treatments, etc. but no information at all about the resort and its amenities. When we asked the front desk for any information they would just respond that "It's on the website." We told them that we did not have a computer with us but this was just met with a shrug.

Maid service was sporadic. One evening we called down to have the maid clean up the room. Ten minutes later there was a knock on the door. A young man was there saying our ride was ready. What ride?

The room came with a DVD player. We found out three days into our stay that we could have signed out DVDs from the front desk. When I mentioned to the staff that this is the type of information that would be helpful for guests to know I was told again that it is on the web site. I guess you need to travel with a computer and go online to figure out what is available all around you there.

There were other glitches and each time we were met with staff that didn't have a clue. At one point we felt like they had staffed the place with all interns from a hotel school and there was no adult supervision.

However, the restaurant was outstanding. The staff there did have a clue and the breakfasts were among the best we have had anywhere in 30 plus years of travelling. Local items such as smoked trout hash filled us up for the day.

The courses in jewelry making that were offered were also very good. Fortunately we knew about these before we arrived (from the website!) otherwise we never would have found out about them.

Overall, a very pretty place to try once but don't set your hopes too high and you may not be disappointed.

• Liked — Amazing breakfasts
  • Disliked — Clueless staff
  • Stayed October 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

I would recommend Robert Redford’s Sundance with few reservations.

The Good:
- Location, Location, Location, views amazing, skiing very good for beginner and intermediates
- House keeping cleaned daily to a high standard
- Tree Room restaurant is a cut above most hotel restaurants
- Much calmer ski resort than your average place, small and peaceful
- Great for kids and beginners to learn to ski in
- Cut off and really out of the way, peaceful. Do your shopping on the way in!
- Lift tickets and rentals not so expensive ($40 the day)

The Bad:
- Front desk staff are always pleasant, but really did not respond with sense of urgency to issues. When our hot tub did not work, it took two phone calls and visit to the front desk to get anything done.
- The idea of an environmentally sensitive resort was evident, but the staff and written materials did not radiate a passion for this. Though impressed that of the 5000 acres less than 500 are developed!
- I wish that somebody could come up with hybrid snow mobile as they machines really create noise pollution and produce a lot of carbon monoxide as they scream past you.
- We stayed in a mountain home. These are not owed by Sundance, so are not maintained to such a high standard, private owners lease them to Sundance on a weekly basis.
- Problems in Mountain Home 6 Stuart Point were:
o Hot tub did not work; we got it going two days in not maintenance!
o Stereo did not work, maintenance did replace on the third request
o DVD player was not wired up, we got this going as well
o Steps up to the home are crumbling away and death trap, particularly when carrying a baby
o Somebody had been sick off the front porch, but no one had cleaned it up
o Cigarette butts but strewn all over the back porch
o Plates and cutlery are really poor quality, tough to cook with

I plan to return. Maybe not stay in a mountain home next time. The views and general peacefulness are just amazing.

• Liked — Location, amazing views
  • Disliked — Poor maintenance in the moutain homes
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
I am pleased to report that we have taken your feedback and made some major improvements to the home you referenced!

We have completely replaced the stairs leading to the home, making them much safer in both summer and winter.

The entire home was repainted and new furnishings supplied throughout.

Overall, the improvements have made this a spectacular home in an even more spectacular setting!
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2008

We live in New England and have skiied all around the Northeast, Colorado, and even Europe, but had never been to Utah. My wife and I decided decided to join some good friends to go skiing in Utah (2/08). After we had booked the trip, I was excited to tell people of our plans. When I told people we were going to Utah ...they would ussually ask, "where are you staying Park City? Deer Valley?..". when I told them Sundance Resort they ussually repsonded by saying ..oh thats a smaller place isn't it ....more of a family mountain.

I had been on to various web sites and I knew we would not be dissapointed by the food ( 4 stars restraunt on site) but I have to admit I was a bit concerned I was going to be spending my ski vacation on the bunny slope (not the most challenging of terrain). So that I would get a feel for other resorts in Utah (and what we might be missing for terrain) we actually planned to ski the day we arrived at Park City then drive down to Sundance that night.

We arrived on a Thursday morning, we went directly to Park City. We skiied the afternoon at Park City, the mountain was huge, conditions were great and there were alot of people around. The base layout was a bit confusing, the slopes were full of people but in general a good day of skiing.

Thursday night our arrival at Sundance Resort was a bit delayed by an avalanch in the pass which was eventually cleared (can't complain about the amount of snow). Friday we awoke to clear blue skies, temps in the high 30s and more snow than I have seen im a long time. By the end of the day I had skiied some of the most challenging terrain in the 35 yrs of skiing (Far East, Red Finger).

We stayed at the Sundance Suites, which was a unit with a bed, sitting area with leather couch and a fire place, a small kitchen and a huge bath with steam shower and whirlpool tub. For less than $300/night peak season we had a rooom with our own fireplace, whirlpool tub and it included 2 list tickets per day and what ever we wanted to order for breakfast from the Foundry Grill Restraunt each moring...it was a great deal.

The staff was nice, everything was run well and very low key. We were on site for four days and never left. It is a compact resort but the 2 restraunts on site were very good, and the Owl bar had live music and a great atmosphere (I only complained about the half beer once).

Overall one of the most beatiful settings of any ski resort I have even been to, great food and accomidations and the best kept secret was the challening terrain. I would highly recommend Sundance as a ski destination.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ventura, ca.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

We stayed at the Sundance resort while attending the Sundance film festival in January. We found the front desk help to be exemplary, flexible, friendly and absolutely professional, and we had a complicated itinerary with frequent changes in plans, parties, and screening times. Sundance resort is a little less than an hour from the hub of film festival action in Park City. Our cabin was a “Sundance Suite” Mandan cottage-and it had a stunning view of the mountainside that we could enjoy with a glass of wine while watching the snow fall by a warm fire in our room. It doesn’t get any better …..
We purchased the resort’s “epic package” and that included tickets to screenings which are otherwise difficult to obtain. There are film festival competition screenings in the attractive and intimate screening room within the resort. Many people, so I was told, go to the Sundance film festival and are never able to see the films they want to see! With the package you’ll get at least 8 tickets. The skiing is beautiful - maybe not widest selection of hard core runs in Utah but thrilling and awe inspiring scenery from the top and zero lift lines. During our stay a handful of movie stars were spotted, but part of the good vibe there is to get away from the (in my opinion) persistent “film industry wannabe” feel in Park City during the festival. The longer we stayed at Sundance Resort the less we cared about going to the Sundance film festival! The spa’s massage therapist fixed a back pain that I’d had for weeks. Part of the epic package is the opportunity to go snowmobiling with a private guide one hour away - just a blast! Others we met chose to make their own jewelry in the “art shack.” If I had to complain I guess the bathroom was rather small… who cares?...., and there can be a bit of walking. The entire resort is spread out amongst leafy walking trails with footbridges over rocky streams and small waterfalls - all well cleared in the snow. We enjoyed it, but mobility impaired folks would lose some of this pleasant interactivity. If you don’t want to take the 10 minute walk down to dinner just call the front desk and within 5 minutes a young driver is there for you in a Lexus SUV. Round trip private transfer form SLC airport is $180, and you might want to stop off on the way in from the airport to buy wine etc. at the state store, since the cabins have a full kitchen. The Owl Bar was fun and funky. Another warning - the epic package books up early and is expensive. Though it represents, I think, a very good value for what is included, especially in light of the recent Travel and Leisure #2 spot. A Platonic winter vacation!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sundance Resort? Share your experiences!