“Disappointed” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sundance
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We arrived at 6 oclock...wintertime. The temperature of the rooms was 57 degrees. We turned the heat on and it took it 3 hours to reach 70 degrees. We froze. I am not sure what upgrade included heat, but I would have paid for it.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SundanceResortTeam, General Manager at Sundance Resort, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
We are truly sorry that upon arrival the room temperature was not set at a comfortable level. In an effort to reduce our carbon imprint, room thermostats are turned down when they are not in use. Since it is our hope to create a comfortable environment for all of our guests, we deeply regret the length of time it took for your room to warm to the desired temperature. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We hope that on your next visit, you will let us know right away if there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Switzerland, Fla.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This was our first visit to the mountains in Utah. After staying in Scottsdale, Sedona, Vegas, and Springdale, we spent most of "day 6" of our road trip out west,driving from Zion Nat'l Park to Sundance. It was a Monday, right before Halloween. Unfortunately, it was dark when we got to Provo, so our drive up the mountain from there was a little stressful.
Using our reliable navigational system, we were able to find the awkard turning-off point from the highway( which was under construction) to get to the resort entrance. I was shocked that there was no visible lit sign indicating the resort entrance!
Upon arrival we were shocked to be "engulfed in a sea of vans" filled with children dressed in Halloween costumes, who jumped out and started running toward the ski lifts. Odd indeed.
We were fortunate to find the last parking spot, and walked up to the office. Another couple was ahead of us, so we sat on a huge couch in front of a fireplace waiting for assistance. After about 10 mins. we were invited to be checked-in. I asked what the "deal" was with all of the children, and was told that the week of Halloween they have scary lift rides to the mt. top for kids, until 11 PM! (Will continue this part of my story later).
We had to wait for the bellman to come back to drive us up the hill to our "cabin". After 20 mins. he was not back, so the clerk called him, and he said he was "hung up" with the first couple, and it might be another 20 minutes before he got back. Sooo, we were shown to our room by a maintenance man, who was very nice, but did not know anything about our room!
The cabin was cute and rustic. The entryway turned to the left, and we walked down two sets of stairs. past a glass door, into the sleeping area. We saw a large King bed, a wood burning fireplace, small TV, two large chairs, and a bench at the foot of the bed. "Around the corner" was a small eating table, a sink, small frig., coffee maker, blender, and a few kitchen appliances/glassware. The bathroom area was very small, and the closet was behind a tacky fabric curtain. The toilet area was small. Right away I noticed that one full set of windows was missing a set of blinds.My husband had to call the front desk to find out how to operate the remote control.
We decided to go eat, and opted to walk down to the restaurant instead of driving. There was a full moon and it was very cold. The paved pathway zigged down the mountainside, and was lit periodically with a small pendant lamps. Fortunately I had a small flashlight, that came in very handy.
The Foundry Gill was our only choice as The Tree Room was closed. The hostess took us to a small table that was about 2'X4', and right next to two other couples. If the restaurant was full I could understand seating a "party of two" at a smaller table, but there were alot of larger tables available.Upon request we were moved to a nicer spot.
I ordered a Manhattan cocktail, and got my first lesson on alcoholic beverages in Utah. My glass had exactly 1 1/2 oz. of bourbon in it, and not a drop more!! One sip, and it was gone! If you are going to drink in Utah, bring your own beverages of choice! I decided to "switch" to wine, and it took about 10 minutes fo "flag down" a waiter.The servers were working as a team, instead of being assigned to specific tables, and I do not like this concept.Most of the time they were chatting in the hallway next to the cooking station.
The menu had too many meat choices, not enough veggie options, and the prices were HIGH!!! I chose the mushroom/onion pizza, and ate every bite. It was truly delicious! We decided to walk back to the room and just drink some of our wine, instead of going to the bar.(In Florida when you order a cocktail you get more than one sip!)
Now, back to the "Halloween Rug Rat" party. We could hear loud speakers with scary, annoying noises,bellowing into the stillness, on what otherwise would have been a romantic stroll under a full moon. Then, we continued to hear the loud, hideous noises when we tried to sit on our small porch. We could still hear this noise in the room,with everything closed up. My advice to all of you who do not have or take children on your vacations- do not stay at Sundance during Halloweeen week!
The fireplace was nice, and my husband finally figured out how to operate the remote for the TV. After a very long day, we fell asleep. The bed was comfy and the sheets nice.
About an hour after "dozing off", we were awakened by a loud screeching sound, that seemed to be in the woods near our cabin. This happened every hour or so, all night long. Both my husband and I thought it was a bird of prey.
In the morning sunlight came streaming in through the window that was missing it's blinds. We were awakened before we had planned to get up, but nonetheless, decided to go ahead and begin our day then, because the people above us were "early risers", and we could hear everything they were doing. When my husband was making coffee he discoverd that the "bird noise" was actually coming from the mini-fridge! If we had known that, we would have unplugged it at midnight!
To sum up my review-I have always wanted to visit Sundance, and am a huge Robert Redford fan. This resort is apparently a "time share" type of property, so each cabin/lodge, is kept to different standards. This is something I did not know. This creates an unequal measure of standards being met, when it is "up to the individual owner" whether or not appliances work, or there are blinds on th windows, etc.. Next, the entire place needs to be upgraded, still keeping it's rustic charm. There is nothing to do here except ski, and it is too far away from other businesses to go elsewhere for food/drinks/shopping.
I am glad we stayed for two days, but I was anxious to leave to go to our next destination, Deer Valley, and that is NOT like me. I usually have to be dragged out of a hotel/resort if we are having a good time-not the case here.

Room Tip: If you are rich, stay in one of the houses on the mountaintop, and maybe you won't have to "...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
SundanceResortTeam, General Manager at Sundance Resort, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
We value all feedback positive or otherwise, however it is disappointing to learn that your stay was not as you had anticipated. Our resort offers a variety of accommodations with each unit uniquely appointed in a style that integrates with our mountain environment. The front desk staff is happy to help our guests select the perfect accommodations to meet their needs. We also offer a diverse selection of activities throughout the year. In the fall and winter guests can enjoy multiple daily art workshops, skiing, snowboarding, fly fishing plus film, literary and holiday themed events. We are truly sorry if you were not aware of everything there is to do or if any of the activities disrupted your stay causing you any inconvenience. Thank you for sharing your story with us here. We hope that in the future you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back again.
Kirkland, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I’ve visited Sundance many times over the years, but have never stayed at the resort. So I was looking forward to soaking in the ambience that is Sundance. I will say the setting remains truly special and I wanted so much to love my stay here.

Unfortunately, I felt this was a letdown overall. The shuttle up to our cabin was fine, but I found the check-in and check-out service lacking. I had to wait and while I realize it is a casual/lodge environment, the professionalism should remain polished. The room was not what I expected—especially for the price.

It’s the little things that make a difference and there were a few things off with this experience. Some of the Roman shades were filthy, the TV was ancient, I ran out of hot water from the shower yet it was scalding near a little pipe exposed near my feet (odd). We could hear the people in the room above us, so while the setting is remote, it wasn’t as quiet as I expected. I love the rustic lodge decor, but this was almost tired.

Also, the meal at the Foundry Grill was not up to par. I’ve had dinner at the Foundry Grill (and Tree Room) several times over the years and usually have an excellent dinner with great atmosphere, but the service and the quality of the food were just “off” a bit this time. Overall, I left disappointed and definitely felt that, for the price, there are other places near Park City/Deer Valley that really do provide the service and finer points expected at this price point.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
SundanceResortTeam, General Manager at Sundance Resort, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
We truly regret that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and apologize for the inconveniences you experienced such as the wait during check in and out. We do encourage guests to share any concerns with us at the time of the stay and regret that we did not have the opportunity to make your stay exceptional. Your feedback is welcomed and we appreciate the time taken to share your experience with us, thank you.
Plano, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I’ve got to vent…so just bear with me. This trip was a celebration of my 40th birthday and we wanted to spend a nice weekend with another couple that are very good friends of ours. We thought Sundance would provide the atmosphere and service we were looking for. So we flew in from TX, they flew in from DC. Boy, I was wrong…so very wrong. For a second, I felt we were in the midst of another National Lampoon’s Sundance Vacation
Red Flag #1: To begin with, we ended up calling the resort directly because we had some questions on the suites that weren’t clear from visiting the website. The reservations person that helped us seemed rushed and not knowledgeable of the location or amenities of the suites or their availability. Tip: if you don’t know, don’t get on the phone with customers. If you still insist on answering the phone, don’t start every response with “uhhh, I’m not sure, but I think….”
Red Flag #2: I realize some rates are only available on-line. I’ve spent over 50 nights in hotels this year. But when the reservations person says “Best Available Rate” doesn’t that mean you can’t save $10 per night by hanging up the phone and reserving online? Nope, not at Sundance…”Best Available” means something else. I hung up the phone, called my buddy and told him to book his suite. Since I had already gotten the answers to our questions, he went online. Guess who got the real “Best Available” rate...and legitimate breakfast coupons (more on that later). Here’s when you answer “uhhh, I’m not sure, but I think it was your buddy.” :-)
Red Flag #3: After realizing at check-in that I didn’t get the best rate, I laughed it off as a $20 phone call since we were staying two nights. To say the quality of the suites was nowhere near comparable is like saying that Utah has “a few” Mormons. One suite had a gorgeous view of a bubbling creek, real wood Adirondack chairs, duraflame fire starters for the fireplace, 6 clean towels, a working icemaker and pillow cases without yellow stains (yuck). The other suite had none of those things. Did I upset Susan at the front desk? At this point, I’m getting tense.
Red Flag #4: After providing Susan some feedback, we were initially rebuffed with some vague explanation that “all the suites have different owners”. After standing our ground, we were offered an “upgrade” to a similar suite without a gorgeous view, but a hot tub. Only upon riding to the new suite did Nigel (the only guy with a clue) very cautiously warn us that most hot tubs on the property don’t operate since the owners don’t like the upkeep required. Of course, the hot tub was ice cold and stayed that way throughout. What an upgrade!! At this point, I’m in full Clark Griswald mode.
Red Flag #5: The next morning, we had a nice breakfast. Really nice! In fact, it was the highlight of our stay. What would have made it a little nicer was the fact that my “Best Available” rate did NOT include legitimate breakfast coupons I would have received at check-in with my buddy. You see his had a “Z” on them and mine did not. So when Susan checked me in and said “Here are your breakfast coupons” she was talking about something else. As the waitress is explaining this to me, I’m looking around for Ashton Kutcher to come around the corner explaining I’ve been PUNK’d. Ha-ha! Nope, no Ashton…or Demi or Mila for that matter.
Red Flag #6: My buddy eventually stopped laughing at our experience since this was my birthday weekend and it was getting embarrassing. Had the folks above us not been doing laundry at 2:45 am, I probably would have slept like a baby. So we go to check-out on Sunday morning. We had charged the breakfast to the room since we had only brought our “breakfast coupons” to the restaurant the morning before. Susan again couldn’t find the correct method of making the customer happy, so Coby (or Koby) stepped in and comped the $32 breakfast from the day before. It was nice of him. I paid cash for another $66.97 of souvenirs that had also been charged to the room and left with a $0 balance. I remember I paid cash because I gave Susan $100 and ended up calculating the change in my head for her: $37.03. TODAY: guess who gets a charge on his AMEX for $66.97?
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Sundance!!

Room Tip: Hot tubs don't work - "B" suites are below "A" suites, so they're louder...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
It is truly disappointing that your recent stay was not the experience we hope our guests will have when staying with us. Since it is our wish to accommodate the needs of all of our guests, we deeply regret any inconveniences that you may have encountered. Since it is always our goal to deliver exceptional service to our guests, our front desk staff are fully trained and knowledgeable about the different suites and amenities offered. It is regrettable that there may have been a misunderstanding at the time you reserved your stay. Our resort does offer multiple packages with varying amenities and depending on when you reserve your stay, the best available rate can change.
Please be aware that our management team is always available should any issues arise and we are eager to address them. Our records do indicate that following a conversation with you in October, your card was refunded for the amount in question. Please feel free to contact us directly should a situation further need our attention. Thank you for taking the time to explain your concerns.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for a work course and I was blown away. The service was top notch. The scenery was beautiful and the cabin was adorable. I stayed in cabin 15 by the spa and it was so cozy and cute that I really didn't want to leave. The amenities were so clean and tasteful. I really can't gush enough. Every morning deer and wild turkey walked around my deck, it was like a movie. Do yourself a favor and splurge. My only disappointment was that I didn't see Robert Redford and I was often winded from altitude...those are both out of the staff's hands. LOVE THIS PLACE!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
SundanceResortTeam, General Manager at Sundance Resort, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
We can't thank you enough for your wonderful review of Sundance Resort and your many compliments. Our staff is dedicated to providing exceptional service to our guests to ensure the best experience possible. We're thrilled you enjoyed your accommodations and had such a delightful time. Please come back and visit us again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Surounded by mountains and with the river running through it, Sundance is an excellent place to come for a restorative vacation or even for work as I did the past weekend. We have been here three times and I value the friendly service, great food and most of all the setting. The walk may be steep to the Mandan Cottages but you are then close to the trail to Stewart Falls. Although expensive it is so worth it!

Room Tip: Ask for location close to the stream for soothing sounds to put you to sleep.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We sincerely appreciate that you have shared your impressions of Sundance Resort with us. Our location, nestled at the base of Mount Timpanogos, provides guests with the natural beautiful surroundings that you enjoyed while spending the weekend with us. Thank you for your lovely review; we hope to welcome you back again soon.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I loved staying here for my birthday. I got a studio with a fireplace and fridge. The beds are very comfy and the toiletries smell wonderful. The room had large picture windows of the amazing view. Walking the grounds you see colored leaves and babbling brooks. I can't wait to go back. We sat by a fireplace in the Foundry Grill for our fabulous pasta dinner.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
SundanceResortTeam, General Manager at Sundance Resort, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Happy Birthday! What a perfect time of year to spend some time at Sundance Resort celebrating such a wonderful occasion. The mountains in Utah Valley are gorgeous during the fall season and we're so glad you enjoyed walking the grounds and spending time with nature. Please visit us again soon as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Been to Sundance Resort? Share your experiences!