“A Much Needed Getaway.....” 5 of 5 stars

Sundance Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   8841 N Alpine Loop Road, Sundance, UT 84604   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sundance
West
“A Much Needed Getaway.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2008

My wife and I recently returned from a very enjoyable stay
at the Sundance resort nestled in the beautiful Northern Utah mountains. We stayed three nights (a long weekend) celebrating our 16th anniversary. What a great time!! It was just what we needed. The accomodations were just as you would expect for this type of resort. We stayed in a very comfortable well maintained cabin with a homey feel. It was a short walk from the cabin to the ski lifts and restaurants, but worth in. I would choose a short walk or drive to the "center of activities" over staying in a high rise concrete hotel with to many people. The food at the restaurants was excellent. I recommend the Foundry Grill, it was delicious! During our stay we met a couple from Minnesota, they ate dinner at the Tree Room and he said it was probably the best meal that he ever had (said he had the buffalo?).
The staff was very knowledgeable and helpful. Our room was neatly cleaned upon our return each night.
Don't even get me started on the skiing! WORLD CLASS is all that I can say!!!!!!
I would recommend the Sundance resort to anyone. For the atmosphere, value, scenery, snow, and memories you can't beat it!
Good Times.........

• Liked — The atmosphere
  • Disliked — maybe to spread out, but it was also a plus
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
ketchum, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2008

If you have loved SUNDANCE, keep the memories and don't go back!

We have been there four times in the last 4 years and just got back from a stay that was very unpleasant and downright depressing. We will NEVER go back. This is why:

We were in a Mountain Suite (over $600 a night without breakfast), had requested an upstairs for our anniversary and were given a dark low-level condo that was partially buried in snow. Lights were a must to negotiate your way in the condo during daylight ours. Most bulbs were burned out, lampshades were crooked and there was a musty, dead odor in the condo. When we activated our flashlights (never leave home without a headlamp!), we found mouse traps throughout the condo, some had dead mice in them. There was mouse poop on the bed and the pillows, also in the kitchen sink. The down comforters of past years are gone and have been replaced with thin polyester blankets. Overall, the condo looked dark and tired. There were massive water stains in the closets and towels had been placed on the floor inside the closet to absorb standing water.

Dinner was at The Grill, service aloof and short (we had to ask three times to see a wine list), the food uninspired and expensive. On Sunday, we were unable to secure a breakfast reservation - although we were registered guests - we were told that brunch was sold out and that resort guests could purchase food to go at the convenience store.

We have had magical moments at Sundance and deeply regret this experience. We were scheduled to stay for two nights and left after one. The front desk manager was kind enough not to charge us for the room which I thought was very kind. Overall, the resort needs some creative overhaul, detailed staff training and a chef that cares.

Stayed January 2008
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2007

Wow. What beauty and elegance. Lots of ruff-hewn wood, casual elegance, very Redford. A beautiful village at the base of huge inposing mountains on all sides of you. Makes you feel small with the mountains surrounding you. This resort is perfect for a romantic or alone holiday. I came alone and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I took a silversmithing jewelry class in the Art Shack and ended up being the only student- got an hour of uninterrupted time with the artist and a beautiful, created-by-me pendant as a once in a lifetime souvinier. I stayed in one of the least expensive rooms in the Mandan cottages but it was beautiful and all I needed for sure- a queen bed, a beautiful woods view, fluffy robe, and complimentary Sundance slipppers you could take home with you! It was nested in the woods behiind the spa- very quiet, cozy, and warm, and decorated very inviting in a southwestern decor. The Sundance Store was great, lots of neat but expensive treasures, plus sweathirts, tees, and that stuff. The real treat for me as a Redford fan was the hall between the two restaurants that chronicled in words and pictures the entire history and evolution of Sundance- the Redford family, his movies, the film festival and those who became famous because of it, etc. Hundreds of photos and text explaining it all. It was awesome. The food was fabulous- Sunday brunch in the Foundry Grill was included in my room rate and was phenominal and HUGE. I ate dinner in the Owl Bar, as a single I didn't want to go to the Tree Room alone. The Owl Bar was casual, rustic, and very warm and comfortable- had a meal and drinks while sitting around the fireplace chatting with others. Also had a great sandwich upon arrival from the deli- awesome homemade baked goods too! The beauty and grandeur of this place is absolutely breathtaking-a river runs through the whole property and the new fallen snow during my time there was incredible. One can understand after seeing this spot why Redford bought up the whole place upon his first visit there. Just go, you'll get it. What a beautful place created by a visionary man.

• Liked — cottages in woods, isolated and quiet, beautiful views
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2007

You'll have a beautiful stay as long as you don't need the help of their staff and/or nothing goes wrong (like the heat in your room doesn't work)... if something goes wrong, watch out - the most obnoxious, unhelpful staff we've ever come across.

• Stayed November 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2007

My trip to Sundance Resort was brief. You can visit for the day just to breathe it all in. I decided to stay overnight after having an incredible dinner with charming, attentive service at the Foundry Grill. The decision to stay came after having a glass of wine with dinner: it is not advisable to navigate the mountain in the dark, especially after a long day, a great dinner, and alcohol. The desk clerk accomodated a lesser rate, the bellman was friendly and knowledgeable, the servers at the Grill were wonderful.
The room was warm, inviting, and romantic in a natural not frilly sort of way--over just incredible. I just wanted to know when I could move in. I am going back as soon as I can figure it into my schedule. An overnight stay out of curiousity (and a flight too early to enjoy even breakfast) is just not enough.

• Liked — Comfortable and inviting
  • Disliked — I didnt get to stay long enough
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
houston texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

Snow falling outside,glowing fireplace,wonderful cabin,solitude,romance!
This is one of the top two or three places my girlfriend and I have ever stayed. Everything just seemed right-the dining was first class,the service wonderful ! Expensive,but well worth it!
My girlfriend and I are both totally incurable romantics,so this place was US!

• Liked — beautiful cabin,romantic ambience
  • Disliked — driving up there at night it began snowing-tricky driving,to say the least!
  • Stayed February 2005, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2007

Okay, give the kids a break. Many of the employees at Sundance are nice Mormon kids from Provo and just serving coffee, for them, is living on the edge.

We just spent two days in one of the Mandan Suites. It was in a structure that had maybe four units. We parked next to it (in a parking lot surrounded by these structures, hidden mostly by aspen trees). There was a foot-trail that we could take down to the Sundance "Village," where the restaurants etc. are, or they had a shuttle. We prefered to walk - it was a nice walk after eating and the path was well lit by electric lights (not solar, interestingly). The unit had one large room with a queen bed and a wood fireplace, and a kitchenette and a bathroom. It also had a large deck with a (non-working, we were given a discount) hot tub. The decor was very inviting - western cabin-style without being kitchy or corny (for example, there were no cowboy boots in the corner filled with dried flowers as you sometimes see in overly western theme-y places!) Some of the furniture was make of wood branches and other nice touches were native american style pillows and nice wood blankets.

The kitchenette had two electric burners, a small coffee machine, a sink, dishes, and a tiny but very loud refrigerator!
The bathroom had a small tub without jets and an array of Aveda products. It also had robes and slippers (and an invitation to take the slippers home).

We found the room very satisfactory. We did, however, hear the people in the suite above us, who seemed to get up very early in the morning.

The entire resort is built of wood, which is allowed to weather and look old. Some might argue that for the price you pay it should be spit polished and perfect, but what makes it charming and authentic is that it has aged over the years and it is genuine. I have been to lodges and resorts in the West that have an artificial, brand-new, Disneyland feel. Sundance still has most of the feel it had 25 years ago.

The village is always bustling, though it seems to keep a sense of calm. There is always a lot going on at Sundance; the fact that it is a pretty small place keeps it from seeming too busy. I only hope that the new contruction doesn't ruin the feel of it. So far, they have managed to keep structures hidden away somewhat and the noise is muffled by the ever-present rushing of the creek. The abundance of tall pine and fir trees and aspens shelters the various structures from each other.

The spa was wonderful. Very quiet, beautiful, and calm. I might have been the only customer there on a weekday in June. I like that it is set away from the "village."

The Tree Room has great atmosphere and the food we had was excellent, though the lamb that was supposed to be medium rare was raw. They quickly redid it. We were offered a quieter table when a large group came in, which was nice. The Deli offers sandwiches, salads, etc. for picnics. The portions in the restaurants are normal-sized rather than the huge portions you often see in restaurants. Breakfasts seemed to be larger.

It is nice that the "hawking of merchandise" is done in the Sundance Store and the Deli and not everywhere else, as in some resorts.

To the Eastcoaster complaining about it not having 4-star service, well, this is a more relaxed, casual place, and it has always been that way.

• Liked — Relatively private, quiet, good dining
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sundance Resort? Share your experiences!