“Mediocre” 3 of 5 stars

Cross street: I-15
Whittier, CA
“Mediocre”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I was staying at one of the hotels across the street from the restaurant and thought I'd try out Carvers. The bad experience started from the moment I walked in - 15 minutes after they opened. I was told I could not be seated at a table (I was dining alone) but had to resort to the bar. The attitude taken by the hostess was already one that started my sour experience. The bar itself and all the adjacent tables were tended to by one poor man who did his best to keep up with orders, serve, AND prepare drink orders from all the wait staff. It took quite a while to get acknowledged by him, then get my order taken. Once it was taken, my starter salad arrived quickly with my main meal not long afterward.

This sole server/barman (tall, bald man w/an EXCELLENT disposition) did his best to keep up with all demands placed upon him and I give him my utmost respect, but it was an extremely poor reflection on the restaurant apart from the rude treatment of being relegated to the bar for my meal. A similar complaint was overheard from an elderly couple who were seated next to me at the bar. The restaurant wasn't full as it had just opened - how long could it have taken a lone diner seated at a proper table to complete their meal??? I could have been done and gone before the dinner crowd rolled in at 6 p.m.

The meal itself was just OK. Good starter salad, though w/blue cheese and candied pecans. My prime rib was generous and cooked to my liking but the rosemary in the au jus killed it. Nice assortment of side dishes to choose from.

Given the treatment I received and had to witness with the poor barman/server, Carvers needs to step up its game with customer service and the service provided to customers.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Pacific NW
“50% is not good enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I went to Carvers with three co-workers after working late. We did not have reservations, the restaurant was packed. We asked to sit in the bar after the hostess attempted to seat us in a small booth next to a party of about 20 people including 4 or 5 obnoxious kids running all over the place.

Bar was quiet except the drunken guy at the table next to us [loudly] trying every line in the book to schmooze the lady he was with.

Service was initially prompt and attentive, got slightly worse (more inattentive) as our meal went on. Appetizers (caprese salads, seared ahi) were good. I ordered a 12 oz. strip and the piece of meat I received did not look like a strip, had fat on both sides of it and gristle running through it. My fries were cold and soggy. My co-worker’s filet was over-cooked. My other two co-workers said their steaks and meals in general were very good.

Not many fine dining options in Sandy; perhaps save your money for a nice dinner out when you return home. If you live around Sandy, you probably know where to go.

50% (2 good, 2 poor meals) is not good enough.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Jackson, Wyoming
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I had dinner with two friends at this restaurant last month and we all had excellent meals. The wait staff was superb: very helpful and attentive, courteous and willing to answer questions about the menu. The menu was a bit confusing and took a while to decode (after our waiter helped us). All three of us were very hungry so trying to decide took a while. We all had steaks and thought they were excellent. None of us could find any fault with the restaurant, and we all agreed if we were in the Sandy area again we would certainly come back, notwithstanding the rather large bill we ran up (we did have two bottles of wine with dinner as well as aperitifs). My two friends also have extensive restaurant experience with one worked in several restaurants in the past as a sous chef, and the other owns a steak house in Jackson, Wyoming (the Million Dollar Cowboy Steakhouse). Nuff said.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Oh my god....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This place looks like a dive from the road....wrong! This is a upscale steakhouse. My steak was to die for. It was cooked perfectly. Will eat here every time I come to SLC. It is a bit pricy, but worth it if you are a steak lover.

Visited November 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Everything was delicious! It is a steak house, so order steak for sure, but you will not be disappointed with anything you order here!

Visited October 2012