“Standard Old Timey Diner, in a new building.” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Dessert, Hamburgers
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Olathe, Kansas
“Standard Old Timey Diner, in a new building.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Great classic diner. It can be very busy so come early on weekends. breakfast is pretty good. it is hard to mess up breakfast. not the best in the world, but not the worst either. i will keep coming here for sure.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Georgia
“Awesome diner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We went to this diner based on the ratings and we were not disappointed. The service was marvelous and we had an excellent waiter (Neil, I think). The food portions were generous and everything was cooked perfectly.

Visited August 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Excellent Customer Service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We ate at Black Bear Diner at 3:30 on a Thursday. It was our first time and I was a little nervous when we entered but didn't see an employee anywhere, especially because there were customers waiting to pay at the register.

Our waitress was Tiffani and she went above and beyond to make our first experience pleasant. I noticed it was really quiet, there wasn't any music playing, so I asked her if it was always that way. She apologized and said they were extremely short staffed at the moment. They only had one cook and two waitresses working (There were approximately 10 tables with customers). I didn't catch the name of the other waitress but they both provided excellent customer service. They constantly checked to make sure we had everything we needed.

I had a side salad and a Turkey Club Sandwich with fries, my husband had Prime Rib, and my boys (ages 6 and 10) had Chocolate Chip Pancakes (3) with Apple Slices. We all agreed that the food was average but the portions were huge.

We decided to have dessert. My husband had Homemade Bread Pudding. The waitress admitted that she gave him a piece that was slightly larger than normal to make up for them being short staffed. I wanted the Mt Shasta Lava Cake but they were out so I asked for a scoop of chocolate ice cream with syrup. She asked if I'd like Oreo's so I had those too.

We'll definitely give this restaurant another try. From the other reviews I'm thinking we should try breakfast next time!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Delicious breakfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I had a combo breakfast with their homemade sausage, eggs, and 7 grain pancakes. Everything was cooked perfectly, the sausage was delicious and the pancake was the best I've ever had. Our server, Ryan, was courteous, attentive and had a great attitude! Loved it! Wish there was one near Boston!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Utah
“Great Service, Average Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I have to be honest, the service at this restaurant was fantastic, but I was less than pleased with the food. I like that you can order breakfast at any time. However, when I ordered a breakfast item that comes with ham, I sort of expected real ham slices. The ham I received was more like spam or ham loaf. It had that ground ham, fluffy texture. This is what I get for thinking I might get something as tasty as the southern, "Cracker Barrel" ham. The food was just average.

I have a feeling they have excellent desserts but we did not order dessert. Their desserts do look delicious. They do give generous portions and the prices are reasonable for what you get. If you're coming off of a ski trip that day, this is a great place to stop and eat if your expectations for food flavor are average. I suggest you not order the ham -- or the restaurant get the delicious southern cured hams. It makes a world of difference, and I would be willing to pay slightly more for my meal to have that delicious ham. I would recommend management remove the ham they are currently using. I think it only serves to downplay their dishes.

• Visited June 2013