“Round Bed Sold Me” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The 1887 Hansen House

The 1887 Hansen House
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sandy
The 1887 Hansen House
You added The 1887 Hansen House to your Saves list
8586 S Center Street, Sandy, UT 84070   |
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Sandy
Bountiful, Utah
“Round Bed Sold Me”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

I was looking for a close but nice place to spend Memorial Weekend with my wife. We really needed to get away from home and work and just relax. I did a google search and found the 1887 Hansen House in Sandy Utah I took the virtual tour and the Round Bed in the Blue Lagoon room caught my eye, I was sold I called and made reservations for two nights. At $139 per night it was a bargin compared to other B&B's Then when we arrived she informed us they were running a special for $99 per night, that was an added blessing we got two night at the price lower than one night at other locations. We loved sleeping on the round bed and was delighted with the owners and how friendly they were. The breakfast were very nice and they provide us with plenty of food.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Green River, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

I wanted something different for my husband and I to escape a stressful week. This house was charming and different from the generic accomodations of the chain hotels. Our room was in the main house in the Blue Lagoon room. Everything looked exactly like the website pictures. Fran and Ed were lovely people and I actually lost my husband for about an hour while he chatted with them in the library. The house is old and it has character. You can feel the love and attention that Fran and Ed have put into the place. The breakfast was magnificant. My husband wanted me to get the recipe of the berry waffles that Fran made. There was more than enough and my husband had 3 servings. Overall, the price of the breakfast and the room combined would have been more at a decent hotel and restaurant so it was well worth it. Plus we received the personal attention that made it feel like we were staying with family. Don't stay here if you expect impersonal service and generic settings. This was a completely different experience that I would reccommend to all of my friends and family.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Provo, UT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

My husband and I came here to celebrate our 4th anniversary. I had never heard of the Hansen house before my husband booked it, but thought it looked great on the website and was happy to try it. When we showed up Fran invited us in and did all the check in procedures. We then were shown upstairs and around the house a little until she showed us where we were staying the Blue Lagoon room. It was refreshing to be in a true bed and breakfast unlike those corporate cookie cutter bed and breakfasts, and although a little older- (it was built in 1887!) it was clean, charming and very comfortable. The Jacuzzi was a great size and the bed round, huge and very comfortable. Breakfast was delicious, blueberry pancakes- Fran's specialty I hear- and fruit, orange juice, milk, and ham. We couldn't even finish our second pancake- my husband and I were so filled by the end of it. It's a shame someone has resorted to bitter put downs of this place that aren't true in our experience and we would definitely recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone for it's value and charm,

• Liked — The Jacuzzi and the breakfast
  • Disliked — Changing our mindset that this was a cozy house, not a corporate-run business.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
denver, co
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2008

I am not sure how this place has received so many high ratings. We have been to B&Bs all over the united states and the Hansen House is definitely sub-par on most levels.

They report that they bring you a tea tray at night - not true. Breakfast is also poor quality(although it is hot and made in her kitchen) and even though I was told it was all you can eat, we were never asked if we wanted anything else after we were served a minimal breakfast. I also had to search among all the glasses set on the table to find one clean one.

Other common B&B ammenities - like general sitting area, snacks, etc are not available.

Owners - Ed seems very nice but we spent very little time with him. Fran is ok.

We are trying to figure out what is so charming about this place. Outside of our room (Paul Bunyan room was nice) nothing in the place was particularly charming. The small common area in the guest house has a sink and fridge and there were ants crawling all over the place.

I think you are better served staying in a generic hotel with a continental breakfast for less than $80 per night than you are staying here.

Location - you stay in Sandy Utah if you want to ski and not spend a ton of money for ski in/ski out in the cottonwood canyons. 25-30 minutes to Alta/snowbird and 30-35 minutes to solitude/brighton.

Please be careful - high ratings for this place are far from reality.

• Liked — close enough to Alta
  • Disliked — Food, cleanliness, owner
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Hansen House as part of a 4 day ski trip. The location is great. Not only is it close to Alta/Snowbird, it is a short walk (5 minutes) to the TRAX train to downtown. The dining options near the hotel are poor (mostly chain restaurants and Mexican fast food), but downtown SLC has some great options. The train ride only takes 20 minutes, and is well worth the trip to avoid the stress and expense of parking downtown. The street is quiet, although there is some noise from when the train glides by. We weren't bothered by it and I'm a light sleeper.

We actually stayed in 2 rooms since we started in the American Cowboy room and switched to the Paul Bunyon Room. We switched since the matress was uncomfortable. With the weight of both my wife and I together, we both rolled into the center of mattress on the full bed in the Cowboy room. It wasn't a problem to switch, although we were charged a higher rate. The Cowboy room bed would be great for one person. I didn't see the rooms in the main part of the B&B.

The decor of both rooms was nice and eccentric. There are a few really odd things here:
1. Both rooms lacked a dresser with available drawers, so we wound up leaving our clothes in piles on the floor. Not an issue if you're staying for a night, but we were there for several nights with more stuff.
2. There was no closet in either room to hang stuff in.
3. Both rooms are in the basement so they're a bit dark. They aren't damp however.
4. The TVs are located 90 degrees from the bed, so you can't watch TV without getting a neck ache. Better to not watch TV!
5. Fran is a great host, but has problems with some physical aspects of running a B&B. For example, we had 3 blown light bulbs in our room and kitchen area. When we asked to have them replaced, she gave us light bulbs so we could change them ourselves. I think she can't really climb up safely to change them herself. I was happy to help out but it was a bit odd.
6. Breakfast was average. It's certainly better than the continental breakfast at the Best Western, but it's nothing gourmet.

The Inn used to charge $89/night, which made it a sensible alternative to the bland chain hotels at $79/night in this SLC suburb. Having upgraded the rooms (new jacuzzi tubs), the rates are now $129-$139/night. This is a larger premium than before so the value isn't as high as before.

We would stay there again as we liked the uniqueness of the B&B and felt it outweighed the higher price and other drawbacks. We also like the privacy of the guest house and the small kitchenette.

• Liked — Uniqueness and privacy of guest house
  • Disliked — Cost, missing room ammenties like dresser and closet
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
tooele, utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2008

I arrived at the Hansen house not knowing what to expect cause this was my first time to a bed and breakfast. I rang the doorbell and the lovely owner Fern greeted me so pleasntly. I interupted their supper but Fern paid no mind and showed me the beautiful Victorian Room. It was beautifuly decorated. Very clean and smelled wonderful. I later found out that Ed had had a stroke some years before which made more sense to me the way he had a hard time remembering things but told my boyfriend a wonderful story about his working days in Idaho. Fern Showed me the English Fox Hunt room and i gasped in awe. I had never seen a place more heavenly. I immediatly decided that was the place to stay. My boyfriend and i had the most perfect evening. In the morning Fern and her house maid preparred a very tasty breakfast of cooked ham and belgian waffles with a mixed fruit topping and whipped cream. there was coffee and juice and milk and water all arranged on a very lovely table with a beautiful china setting and gold flatware. after breakfast Fern told us about the history of the building and it was wonderful. I would recommend that if anyone wants to go somewhere with their loved one for romance and relaxation this is the place to go. I WILL BE RETURNING FOR MANY MORE STAYS! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR A WONDERFUL WEEKEND!

• Liked — the English Fox Hunt Room
  • Disliked — I would have to say that i loved everything
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mississauga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2008

Fran was such a gracious host. I arrived late without my bags and she offered me a robe and anything that I might need until my bags arrived. The airline bag delivery ended up calling her instead of my cell phone at 3 am and she again was simply very gracious.

I had the best time each morning talking with Fran and the other guests before going off to work. The breakfast each morning was wonderful. I am a vegetarian and Fran went out of her way to make sure I had a wonderful meal each morning. Fran was nice enough to tell us the history of the home which was amazing. It felt as if I were staying with family.

I travel to different parts of the US and Canada every week. I always stay at B&Bs as they are more personal and safe for a single traveler. The Hansen House would be my recommendation for anyone staying in this area.

• Liked — The great hospitality, the owners and the food
  • Disliked — Not a shower in every room - I prefer showers but the baths were lovely
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandy
BEST WESTERN PLUS CottonTree Inn
HYATT house Salt Lake City/Sandy
Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City/Sandy
Hampton Inn Salt Lake City/Sandy
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sandy

Been to The 1887 Hansen House? Share your experiences!