“A Home Away From Home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The 1887 Hansen House

The 1887 Hansen House
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sandy
The 1887 Hansen House
You added The 1887 Hansen House to your Saves list
8586 S Center Street, Sandy, UT 84070   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Sandy
West Jordan, Utah
“A Home Away From Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

If you are looking for a B&B, this is solid. However, if you are looking for a HOME, a place to rest and feel as though you are without a care - then you immediately need to contact 801-562-2198.

I have been all over the country, had the chance to stay in several places over the years, and have never felt as warm, invited, or comforted as I have here.

I made a last minute decision to book a getaway for "The Mrs." - I am prone to poor planning, last minute executive decision, blah blah - but innkeeper Fran Hansen rescued me immediately with a gracious reply to my frantic email that the "Wine & Gold" room was not only ready, but waiting our arrival. She suggested I follow up with a quick phone call to reserve the room, and patiently took my information as I was so frazzled, pretty sure that I short of luck having this getaway secured.

December 30th came - and when I arrived with my wife, Fran warmly greeted us....not before I noticed how beautiful this building was from the outside, but within: a very inviting, spacious, remarkable testament to what a Bed and Breakfast should be.

The room itself was beyond amazing - it wasn't a cold, spacious beyond need environment...it was very closed, calm quarters, with an electronic fireplace underneath a firm, wood mantle. In addition, the room had an adjacent room where a spa bathtub awaited.

The restoration of the home is remarkable - it does something most B&B environments cannot: move into the present while retaining the sense of historic past.

Fran is absolutely amazing - and the best part, as I wrap up this brief review, is this:

The super firm, supporting mattress was a godsend - and though this home is next to the Light Rail, it was a comfort to hear the train zip past on occasion as we enjoyed the warmth of our getaway.

Best of all, awakening at 7:15 AM or so to the scent of Fran cooking was the best alarm of all time and eternity. In addition, other house guests were present, one who took to the piano in the welcoming room to gently play music to further heighten our senses to the efforts Fran put into an astonishing breakfast that is worth the price of the room alone!

I will not give away the secret to the best Belgian style waffle with succulent fruit and whip cream, nor the perfect scrambled eggs that came with a beautifully broiled ham slice - topped with what I believe was rye toast and perfectly melted butter.....you have to experience this for yourself.

Please, please - if you are from far away or maybe in the neighborhood (I live less than five miles away from this historic home) - do yourself a favor and visit one of the most treasured homes to take in. The story alone on how one individual can make a difference (free with your visit, lovingly delivered by Fran that really impacted my wife and I) will resonate with you in this lovely, gorgeous home that I hope you can have an opportunity to experience.

PS: Fran has a thing for the "Reader's Digest" version of events, a joke we shared that endeared this remarkable woman to our hearts! What are you waiting for?!?! PLEASE BOOK YOUR VISIT NOW!

Room Tip: The Wine & Gold room is absolutely beautiful, lovingly restored to represent romance and calm...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Centerville, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Wine and Gold room for our 2 year anniversary. It was magnificent! I loved the way it was decorated, it felt like you stepped right into a Jane Austen book. Our room was elegantly decorated, and very comfortable. The jetted tub worked great, the fireplace made it very cozy. The innkeeper was very nice and polite and cared for our needs. She gave us a history of the house over breakfast ( which was delicious). Breakfast consist of cresant sandwiches filled with ham, eggs, and cheese, half a Belgium waffle each, topped with whipped cream and berries. Everything was so delicious! The house is definatly a great stay. It was amazing to go around and look at all the furniture, pictures, and other amazing decorations that added to the Victorian style. We will recommend this place to anyone!
The only con: you can't lock the doors, just a chain lock on the doors.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed just because we like the bed and breakfast for our fun. We stayed in the wine room and it was very elegant. The whole house is beautifully decorated and original with beautiful wood. The host makes you feel at home and at breakfast gave us a wonderful history lesson on her family history and home history. The breakfast was filling and we left deliciously full. The place is surrounded by old elegant trees and is in a historic part of Sandy. The house is over 100 years old and is easily accessible by light rail down to Salt Lake City. It is close to State street where you can find lots of good places to eat. The host has a tea in your room at night you can get and that was a nice bonus. We want to stay in the hunting lodge next time because it has a whole complete kitchen and has enough room for a family of 4 to sleep plus it is in the back. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The Hansen House was a wonderful dip into the past. We were there in Sept of this yr.The decor is very fitting of the house and the era which is was built.The furnishings were all very lovely. Fran was wonderful and she is the most amazing cook!!
I loved all the rooms they were all very cozy. I stayed in the purple room and absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the bathroom with the huge tub. The grounds and the yard are all very beautiful. I can't wait to go back and would love to stay longer this time. I will take my mother for a long weekend. I am looking forward to getting some more of Frans yummy yummy waffles. :)
I left very relaxed.
I think if anyone had something bad to say about Hansen House or the people who run it, are just the type of people that are un pleasable no matter how hard any one would try!

Enjoy..
Lisa Chavez
Denver Co

Room Tip: The purple room is very cozy and has a great Master Bath
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bountiful, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for Fathers Day. It was a very beautiful house with very beautiful rooms. We stayed in The Titanic room, it was done wonderfully. The grounds are also so beautiful. Such a wonderful piece of history. The owner was amazing. My wife and I will make this a regular getaway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Provo, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our 3rd anniversary and it is by far my favorite b&b that we have stayed in so far. The house is absolutely stunning if you love the Victorian era and romance. Before arriving, I was a little hesitant because of a couple of negative reviews from this website. I can only imagine that the negative reviews must have come from some very hungry, nit-picky, critical people that probably wouldn't be happy anywhere anyway. The breakfast was more than adequate in portion size (i.e. I was stuffed!) It was also homemade and well seasoned. We stayed in the wine and gold room and it was very clean, no problems whatsoever with the electricity, and I never felt at any time that we were an inconvenience to be checked-in. Fran was very lovely and hospitable. We did not get evening tea, because we did not request it. The website clearly states, "Tea upon request." We also did not get a newspaper, but that didn't bother me, as it seemed to bother a previous guest that wrote a nasty review. Of course, I am young and still in my 20s. People in my generation don't care about newspapers; that's kind of an old person thing. Overall, I loved our overnight stay at the Hansen House, and I would recommend it for anyone that will be close to the SLC/Provo area. It's a great place to have a romantic getaway and we are already planning on going there for our next anniversary!

Room Tip: The Wine and Gold room is perfect for a romantic couple's getaway.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed here in early March 2013, when the mercury was in the 70s in the valley and the snow pack in the Wasatch was getting kind of hard. It is 30 to 45 minutes from four ski areas, and there appear to be parking lots at bus stops at the base of the mountains in case the roads are closed to rental cars without 4WD/AWD (not an issue when we were there). My wife hurt her leg skiing so we spent more time at the B&B than we expected to.

The décor of this B&B is right out of a storybook. Really lush canopy beds and ornate furniture. You will sleep like a baby. We stayed in the equally lavish guest house suite. It has a lovely loft area with beds, making it far more spacious than needed for one couple, but we wanted to be able to cook our own dinners while on an expensive ski trip. We almost missed our dinner because we were dozing off in the plush easy chairs. There is a full size fridge and stove with oven in the kitchen; it’s not the little hotel fridge and stove top that is found in some rental condos. On the lower level, the “guys’ rooms” have been furnished with some amusing and rare Western and cowboy themed items you would probably not find anywhere else outside a movie set.

Mrs. Hansen grew up on a farm, so she knows how to make a hearty, nutritious and delicious breakfast. If you expecting the breakfast to match the décor, that is, if you want a hoity toity breakfast of asparagus with Hollandaise sauce, maybe you should find a ski resort in Park City, but if you are a real skier, meaning you actually burn calories on the slopes, then you want breakfast at the Hansen House. There was always an egg dish or eggs. I’m usually not a ham fan, but the Hansen ham is not the kind from your local deli. It’s thick and chewy, more like Canadian bacon or British rashers. The most impressive thing about the breakfast is the consideration our hostess showed for dietary restrictions. One reason we wanted to make our own dinners is my wife’s wheat allergy. Mrs. Hansen prepared gluten-free pancakes and waffles (with fruit and cream) for my wife while at the same time making vegan sugar-free oatmeal for a vegetarian guest and one who was lactose intolerant, all of whom wanted breakfast at different times of the morning from each other. This sort of consideration was worlds away from what we encountered at another, also very good B&B in the Eden/Huntsville area, which also supposedly catered to special diets. There the proprietor’s idea of a gluten-free breakfast was “the eggs don’t have flour in them.” That may be true, but my wife is not on the Atkins diet; she’s a skier coming from low altitude and needs carbohydrates.

What’s not to like? If you’re busy skiing, you just may not have time to enjoy the patio or sit and play chess and pretend you’re living in a 19th century mansion. And you won't want to go home.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The 1887 Hansen House? Share your experiences!