“Most Elegant Bed and Breakfast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The 1887 Hansen House

The 1887 Hansen House
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sandy
Prices are for rooms, adults
The 1887 Hansen House
Save Saved
You added The 1887 Hansen House to your Saves list
8586 S Center Street, Sandy, UT 84070   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Sandy
Utah
“Most Elegant Bed and Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed just because we like the bed and breakfast for our fun. We stayed in the wine room and it was very elegant. The whole house is beautifully decorated and original with beautiful wood. The host makes you feel at home and at breakfast gave us a wonderful history lesson on her family history and home history. The breakfast was filling and we left deliciously full. The place is surrounded by old elegant trees and is in a historic part of Sandy. The house is over 100 years old and is easily accessible by light rail down to Salt Lake City. It is close to State street where you can find lots of good places to eat. The host has a tea in your room at night you can get and that was a nice bonus. We want to stay in the hunting lodge next time because it has a whole complete kitchen and has enough room for a family of 4 to sleep plus it is in the back. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The Hansen House was a wonderful dip into the past. We were there in Sept of this yr.The decor is very fitting of the house and the era which is was built.The furnishings were all very lovely. Fran was wonderful and she is the most amazing cook!!
I loved all the rooms they were all very cozy. I stayed in the purple room and absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the bathroom with the huge tub. The grounds and the yard are all very beautiful. I can't wait to go back and would love to stay longer this time. I will take my mother for a long weekend. I am looking forward to getting some more of Frans yummy yummy waffles. :)
I left very relaxed.
I think if anyone had something bad to say about Hansen House or the people who run it, are just the type of people that are un pleasable no matter how hard any one would try!

Enjoy..
Lisa Chavez
Denver Co

Room Tip: The purple room is very cozy and has a great Master Bath
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bountiful, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for Fathers Day. It was a very beautiful house with very beautiful rooms. We stayed in The Titanic room, it was done wonderfully. The grounds are also so beautiful. Such a wonderful piece of history. The owner was amazing. My wife and I will make this a regular getaway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Provo, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our 3rd anniversary and it is by far my favorite b&b that we have stayed in so far. The house is absolutely stunning if you love the Victorian era and romance. Before arriving, I was a little hesitant because of a couple of negative reviews from this website. I can only imagine that the negative reviews must have come from some very hungry, nit-picky, critical people that probably wouldn't be happy anywhere anyway. The breakfast was more than adequate in portion size (i.e. I was stuffed!) It was also homemade and well seasoned. We stayed in the wine and gold room and it was very clean, no problems whatsoever with the electricity, and I never felt at any time that we were an inconvenience to be checked-in. Fran was very lovely and hospitable. We did not get evening tea, because we did not request it. The website clearly states, "Tea upon request." We also did not get a newspaper, but that didn't bother me, as it seemed to bother a previous guest that wrote a nasty review. Of course, I am young and still in my 20s. People in my generation don't care about newspapers; that's kind of an old person thing. Overall, I loved our overnight stay at the Hansen House, and I would recommend it for anyone that will be close to the SLC/Provo area. It's a great place to have a romantic getaway and we are already planning on going there for our next anniversary!

Room Tip: The Wine and Gold room is perfect for a romantic couple's getaway.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed here in early March 2013, when the mercury was in the 70s in the valley and the snow pack in the Wasatch was getting kind of hard. It is 30 to 45 minutes from four ski areas, and there appear to be parking lots at bus stops at the base of the mountains in case the roads are closed to rental cars without 4WD/AWD (not an issue when we were there). My wife hurt her leg skiing so we spent more time at the B&B than we expected to.

The décor of this B&B is right out of a storybook. Really lush canopy beds and ornate furniture. You will sleep like a baby. We stayed in the equally lavish guest house suite. It has a lovely loft area with beds, making it far more spacious than needed for one couple, but we wanted to be able to cook our own dinners while on an expensive ski trip. We almost missed our dinner because we were dozing off in the plush easy chairs. There is a full size fridge and stove with oven in the kitchen; it’s not the little hotel fridge and stove top that is found in some rental condos. On the lower level, the “guys’ rooms” have been furnished with some amusing and rare Western and cowboy themed items you would probably not find anywhere else outside a movie set.

Mrs. Hansen grew up on a farm, so she knows how to make a hearty, nutritious and delicious breakfast. If you expecting the breakfast to match the décor, that is, if you want a hoity toity breakfast of asparagus with Hollandaise sauce, maybe you should find a ski resort in Park City, but if you are a real skier, meaning you actually burn calories on the slopes, then you want breakfast at the Hansen House. There was always an egg dish or eggs. I’m usually not a ham fan, but the Hansen ham is not the kind from your local deli. It’s thick and chewy, more like Canadian bacon or British rashers. The most impressive thing about the breakfast is the consideration our hostess showed for dietary restrictions. One reason we wanted to make our own dinners is my wife’s wheat allergy. Mrs. Hansen prepared gluten-free pancakes and waffles (with fruit and cream) for my wife while at the same time making vegan sugar-free oatmeal for a vegetarian guest and one who was lactose intolerant, all of whom wanted breakfast at different times of the morning from each other. This sort of consideration was worlds away from what we encountered at another, also very good B&B in the Eden/Huntsville area, which also supposedly catered to special diets. There the proprietor’s idea of a gluten-free breakfast was “the eggs don’t have flour in them.” That may be true, but my wife is not on the Atkins diet; she’s a skier coming from low altitude and needs carbohydrates.

What’s not to like? If you’re busy skiing, you just may not have time to enjoy the patio or sit and play chess and pretend you’re living in a 19th century mansion. And you won't want to go home.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We spent our anniversary at this place. Owners are so friendly, personal and we loved there.
This is a hidden romantic B&B place and if you love talking and listening good story as eating breakfast, you will love this place. Recommended!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Midvale, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed at the Hansen House B&B for our second anniversary. The only reason I knew of it was because at the time we lived not far from it and one day while driving through the Historic District of Sandy I ran across it. I love old mansions and this one caught my eye. So when we wanted to stay at a B&B for our anniversary I looked up the Hansen House and we ended up staying there, in the Blue Lagoon room.

Let me start by saying that the Hansen House is beautifully restored and on the Utah historic register (for good reason!). It honestly doesn't look like much from the outside. It is not a gingerbread trimmed Victorian mansion. There is a lovely fountain out front. It is inside that the Hansen House really shines.

It is beautifully decorated in a late Victorian style. It is gaudy (as the style was in the late 1800's) with lots of gold plating and trim. Lots of knick knacks. A gorgeous white piano. Lace draperies. Carved sofas and loveseats. Bird cages! Everywhere you look there is a gorgeous antique. If you know anything of the Victorian era you know that it was all about excess. The rich were rich and did everything they could to show it. The Hansen House is decorated exactly as I think a wealthy Victorian would have decorated. It is lovely. It is obvious that the owners love the place. It is clean and in perfect shape.

The room: We stayed in the Blue Lagoon room because I loved the photos of the room with it's round bed and huge jetted tub. Oh,and because it is decorated like a stateroom on the Titanic and I love all things Titanic. It didn't disappoint. The nautical theme is tasteful and not overwhelming. The bed was super comfy. And the jetted tub was great! Big and roomy enough for two. We set up our laptop on the footstool at the end of the bed and popped in a movie while we soaked.

After a great nights sleep we got up to a homemade breakfast! We ate at the big dining room table with a man and his two kids that were staying there. We chatted like old friends. The breakfast was nothing super fancy (french toast, eggs and bacon and juice) but it was made while we waited so it was fresh and very tasty. The french toast (which I am picky about) was delicious! We chatted with the innkeeper and she told us a bit of history about the house. I had already read up on it on the website but it was fun to have her talk to us about it.

We wandered around the grounds. Being November when we visited we missed out on the lovely gardens but it was beautiful anyway, with the fall colors. I want to stay again in the spring or summer some time to see the gardens in their prime.

All in all, we loved our stay. We would definitely stay again, and in fact, probably will this year. I highly recommend the Hansen House and if you go to the website, be sure to look through all of the photos. Don't let the Plain Jane exterior turn you away. You will not be disappointed, especially if you, like me, love all things Victorian!

Room Tip: We loved the Blue Lagoon room, but checked out a couple of others while we were there and they are a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to The 1887 Hansen House? Share your experiences!