“Home from Home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of HYATT house Salt Lake City/Sandy

You added HYATT house Salt Lake City/Sandy to your Saves list
HYATT house Salt Lake City/Sandy
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9685 South Monroe Street, Sandy, UT 84070 (Formerly Hyatt Summerfield Suites Sandy/Salt Lake City)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Sandy
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Home from Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I have been a regular guest here for a couple of years now. Probably 10 visits I guess. On each occasion I have been made very welcome. There is no glitz, just real good honest service and value. It is a great pity that my business circumstances have changed and I will probably not go back there. It is my benchmark for the future.

Room Tip: Go for the top floor as sometimes you get kids above you and until they drop off to sleep it can be...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Issaquah, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We had the pleasure of staying here only one night. However, we wished that we could have stayed longer to take advantage of all the hotel has to offer. My husband and I were traveling with our two teenagers so we always prefer to book a room with three beds. My kids appreciate it when the third bed is a "real" bed and not a sofa sleeper. At this Hyatt House we were able to book a 2 bedroom suite. The first room had a King bed and the second room had two queen beds. Perfect for our family! What I was not expecting was the full kitchen complete with stove top, oven, microwave, large fridge, and dishwasher. We also had a kitchen table as well as a large common area with a sofa sleeper and television (each room had its own television). The hotel offers a nice breakfast which included an omelet station! This hotel is about 15-20 minutes from Salt Lake and about 40-45 minutes from Park City. One last item that I would like to mention is that I was very happy that the AC was central. So often hotels have the boxes on the wall that are loud and turn off and on all night which makes it difficult to sleep. The central air and the comfortable beds made for a great night's sleep!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Issaquah, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I've stayed at many hotels in both the Salt Lake and Utah counties and the Hyatt house in Sandy is absolutely one of the best in the area. The hotel has spacious and comfortable rooms, a bright and inviting common area, fantastic breakfast and evening food, excellent gym, and a superb and knowledgable staff that has very little turnover. It's definitely my top choice in the area and I'd highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Very few hotels surprise me. This one surprised me in innumerable ways.
I was told by a staff member that, there are but 40, or so of these Hyatt brand hotels around the world. If all Hyatt House hotels are like this one, they could handily displace the near monopoly that one hotel corporation has on extended stay hotels.

The good bits: Impeccable service. Consistent front desk staff from David, to Rev to Sean. It has been a long time since we have felt truly welcome as guests in a hotel. Our check in was refreshingly courteous, efficient and entertaining. In general we observed that the staff went above and beyond. One small example: the hotel shuttle was run with the guests’ needs in mind, with an occasional friendly “tweaking” of the schedule. Staff stayed late if things got busy. The front desk was rarely without proper staffing. No guest went unattended at the front of the house; you could not just amble by without someone asking if they could help you with something.

The facilities were far beyond expectations. We have stayed at many extended stay hotels on assignments, from the tired Residence Inn brand to the Summerfield and Larkspur Landing. None could compare to what we found at this property. From upgraded kitchens with granite counters and stainless steel appliances, to rainwater showerheads in oversized showers, and large bathrooms, we found veritable luxury here. In fact, having stayed in another brand charging similar prices and with deplorable conditions the night before, my wife commented, “If their towels, especially face towels, were just a bit more posh, this place would be peerrrfect [for the weary traveller/guest].” This is rare praise indeed.

Hyatt seems to have figured out that the long term stay guest, even more than passersby truly need this kind of setting and service. Most long-term guests are homesick, house hunting in a new city or country, overworked, displaced by natural disasters and find being away from home for whatever reason sufficiently stressful. To be in a hotel such as Hyatt House is to be relieved by many thoughtful features that appear to acknowledge these long overlooked needs.

We were to be passing through, but road weary, we stayed several days. That said, for longer stays, having vowed never to be in extended stay hotels again, this one gave us food for thought.

Most extended stay hotels appear to have the least expensive finishes, from cheap cabinetry to the smallest soap conceivable, tiny washers and dryers, and the least amount of staff possible--reminding you at every turn that you are in temporary housing. No such reminders here. The finishes were top notch, the rooms spacious, the beds nearly supernaturally comfortable. We were upgraded free of charge to a one bedroom in order to get the location we desired. We highly recommend paying the extra $20.00 - $40.00 U.S. for these rooms. However, given the finishes, furnishings, and size of accommodations, we would be hard pressed to believe that the studios are not impeccable in their own right.

The rooms were clean, and housekeeping very responsive. In addition, the breakfasts (included) were reasonably good for this market. Even the guest laundry caught our eye, with a generous amount of washers and dryers; a truly thoughtful touch. Workout room, also top notch and pool nearly elegant.

The odd bits: I was told by a staff member that Hyatt House was emphasizing customer service in order to compete with a large corporation’s multiple long-term stay brands. I commented that I hoped they would retain this emphasis even when they, as you say, leave those brands in the dust of the desert southwestern U.S. While one could argue that it is human nature to become the front runner and get a little full of oneself, the only gold standards we have found in “the other brand’s” many extended stay hotels are of indifference and “crank ‘em in crank ‘em out” philosophy.

So, we hold our breath that Hyatt House will always emphasize guest service, while at the same time hoping they will expand this unique and refreshing brand. They have discovered what the extended stay guest truly needs. No small feat. We hope that they continue steady on course.

The not so good bits. (I've got to put something here to retain credibility). Location is a bit of a puzzle. Not so horribly close to much. This is partially offset by their shuttle. Proximity to busy throughway can only be overcome by requesting location away from this noise.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the busy highway; two sides of the hotel face office buildings and interior...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel a number of times in the past few weeks as we roadtripped around the western USA. The rooms are always clean and spacious and the beds are comfortable. The free breakfast buffet is amazing with lots of options, an omelette bar and it's regularly refreshed. The staff are friendly and do their jobs with robotic precision and emotion. The downside here is the noise. West facing rooms face the I15 and it is the only thing you can hear when in the rooms. There is also insufficient insulation between floors so everything is heard from room to room.

Overall: good rooms, great breakfast with a lot of background noise. Good hotel for a short stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the freeway and on the top floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Aurora, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

My husband recently started spending time in the SLC area on business about once a month. After staying at a couple of other nearby hotels he landed here a couple of weeks ago as we were embarking on a 12 day road trip to No Calif. After staying here for one night I was afraid that the best night of the trip would be the first one and the last one since we were staying here a couple of nights on the way back to Denver. I wasn't far wrong. I noticed some comments about food smells and there is some of that but it tells me what they're fixing. The omelet bar for breakfast is nice and the other offerings make it a killer deal. We haven't been there to try the cocktail hour. The rooms have been spotless each time we've been there. Bathroom is huge. There are down comforters and pillows so if you're allergic to feathers, let them know so they can get those changed out for you. The kitchenette is nice to have. I have food restrictions and it's easier to fix my own food sometimes. The pool and hot tub are nice and it's close to shopping and dining.

Room Tip: There are some rooms closer to the highway that can get noisy.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I have stayed at the Hyatt House Sandy (HHS) several times for work in the past year. The HHS is extremely functional and comfortable. If I visited the SLC area for skiing with my family I would consider staying here.

WHY YOU'D LIKE THE HYATT HOUSE SANDY
1. Ample space. I've stayed in a two bedroom unit at the HHS. Each room I had stayed in has had a kitchenette, dining room table, and a sleeping area. There's so much space I've forgotten stuff in the other room.
2. Cocktail hour. I know people who have packed their own liquor when they have traveled to SLC. The cocktail hour is a nice touch. Even though it's 3.2 beer, the COMPLIMENTARY cocktail hour is a great way to kick off the meeting. I see many people who partake in the cocktail snacks as a dinner substitute.
3. Breakfast. There's fruit, yogurt, etc. plus an omelette station! All included in the rate. Between cocktail hour and breakfast included in the rate, I don't know how they make any money!
4. Location. If you have work to do in Sandy or West Jordan, this is a convenient location. It's also close to a mall and REI (!!!) and I am able to run outside in the mall parking lot.
5. Staff. Staff is super nice, even when I roll in from the airport at 1am. They are cheerful and professional.

WHY YOU MIGHT NOT LIKE THE HYATT HOUSE SANDY
A. Noise, It's a bit loud in the HHS. The guests are not loud but the rooms do not insulate noise well.
B. Smells. Is this because of the kitchenettes? I smell food from other rooms all the time at the HHS.
C. Fit and finish of hotel. The rooms do not feel like they are built to last. Everything feels pre-fabricated.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandy
BEST WESTERN PLUS CottonTree Inn
Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City/Sandy
Hampton Inn Salt Lake City/Sandy
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sandy
Residence Inn Salt Lake City Sandy
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Salt Lake City South Towne

Been to HYATT house Salt Lake City/Sandy? Share your experiences!