“Why stay anywhere else?!?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of HYATT house Salt Lake City/Sandy

You added HYATT house Salt Lake City/Sandy to your Saves list
HYATT house Salt Lake City/Sandy
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9685 South Monroe Street, Sandy, UT 84070 (Formerly Hyatt Summerfield Suites Sandy/Salt Lake City)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Sandy
Certificate of Excellence 2014
frankfort ky
“Why stay anywhere else?!?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

The staff at the Hyatt House went far beyond what I would expect for service at this level hotel. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. They answered questions about the ski shuttles, scheduled shuttle service, and sold us ski lift passes. Check in was a little slow but very friendly. There are amazing views of the mountains from two directions outside this hotel.

We reserved 3 rooms for our party. The suites had a kitchen with full fridge, stovetop, microwave, dishwasher, dishes, pans and utensils. The bedroom had a king size bed, the living room had a pull out couch bed, but my 18 year old son, never pulled it out. He slept on the couch, he thought it was comfortable. The bathroom was clean with a large shower (no tub). Be advised: The water is very soft, and it is quite difficult to get the shampoo and conditioner out of your hair! Housekeeping did a great job and was very cheery (Arielle.)

There are lots of people cooking in this hotel. Lots of ethnic food smells, so...don't freak out! To the person who cooked the salmon croquettes in the hotel on Tuesday, march 4th: That is a FOUL!!! No cooking of salmon in hotels or offices! And microwaving it the next day? Should be an Intentional foul resulting in ejection! The first night we bought steaks at the grocery and used the hotel's awesome (and clean) gas grill. Very high powered gas gill finished our steaks to medium rare in 6 minutes. The gas grill is under a patio with tables near the pool and hot tub. The hot tub and heated pool are perfect for after skiing. The pool was bathwater warm for the first 3 days and refreshingly cool for the last 2 days. I'd say someone complained the pool was TOO warm!

Now to the controversial free breakfast and reception... I say "controversial" because some people thought the offerings were great, and some people did not. I personally thought the food offerings were generous and pretty good for the most part. A budgeting traveler could definitely eat 2 meals here. Some of the items were not top quality, but other items were quite good. Here is what the offerings were when I stayed:

Everyday for breakfast: made to order omelets, juice, oatmeal, cereals, fresh fruits, yogurt, bagels, cream cheese, OJ, apple juice, milk, coffee
Everyday for afternoon reception: veggies and dip, hummus and pita chips, tortilla chips and salsa, hot, fresh cookies, beer, wine, sodas

From unreliable memory:
Monday Breakfast- Scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon, french toast
Monday reception- Hot pretzels, spinach cheese dip, breadsticks w/mozzarella and marinara sauce, chili
Tuesday breakfast- Scrambled eggs, pancakes, sausage
Tuesday reception- Nachos, chili, ??
Wednesday breakfast-Scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon, french toast
Wednesday reception- Chicken wings (buffalo and various sauces), chicken noodle soup, salami and swiss cheese, crackers
Thursday breakfast-Scrambled eggs, pancakes, sausage
Thursday reception- Pizza, chili, salad bar

The staff at the breakfast and reception were super nice. There did not seem to be a limit on beer or wine- I'm sure if you are drunk you'd be cut off, but my friends who drink had 3 beers or wines each night.

The hotel is about 1 mile from every conceivable retail establishment in the USA. Salt Lake City is a very generic city, with few unique restaurants or stores. You can find every restaurant or store that you can find at home within about 2 miles of this hotel so don't sweat it if you forget something!

Room Tip: Some of the suites have a bedroom that the door closes off, and some just have a bookshelf between t...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here twice for several days each time, for a ski vacation. Great location for 4 skifields nearby. Two bedroom unit was great for family including two teens. Plenty of room to spread out and good size bedrooms and bathrooms. Breakfast including live omelette station was very very good. Coffee was gross though. Evening snacks were repetitive and unappetising - one look each night was enough to send us out for dinner instead. Hotel itself very comfortable and we'd would definitely stay here again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Parker, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I was a bit apprehensive booking this hotel as I was looking for a cheap weekend getaway for my boys (7 and 4) and I. It was initially a little bit more than I wanted to spend. Honestly it was worth every single dollar. Extremely clean. We had a suite and it was huge. The kitchen had everything that we could have needed. Liked the DVD player with the tv. No noise from hallways or nearby rooms. Good location. The included breakfast was outstanding. And, we were shocked that there was a dinner included each night. Nothing fancy, but more than enough. One night was soups, chili, breads, fruits, and a veggie tray. One night was pizzas, chips/salsa, fruits, and a veggie tray. Everyone working here was over the top friendly. The outdoor pool was heated and we were able to take a quick dip one night. Staying here made our great trip really fantastic. I would not hesitate to stay here again. (I could stretch to find a complaint and that would be that there are only showers, and no tubs.)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Superior, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Wow. I was blown away by the quality of this stay. I booked this hotel on the TripAdvisor recommendation (as I normally do), and I couldn't be happier. Everything was perfect. Yes...perfect.

First off, the location is pretty great. There's about three major roads/highways/interstates to get to and from the Hyatt House and the ski resorts in the Cottonwood Canyons. It's on I-15, but you'll never hear the traffic. There's also a lot of chain restaurants around the area, so a meal isn't very far away (although you'll have to drive to them).

Next of all, the staff: they are the best part of your stay. Jake immediately greeted us upon check-in, gave us the full run-down, and had answers for every single one of our questions (i.e., where's the best pizza delivery?). They were very, very helpful, and very very friendly. Every time we came into the lobby, the staff greeted us, asked us how we were doing, or how the skiing was.

The room was great. It's not your typical suite, our at least our room wasn't. When you walk into the suite, there's a large kitchen area with oven, fridge, dishwasher, microwave, and breakfast bar. Next, there's a smallish living room with a large wrap-around couch. and a center floor-to-ceiling island shelved with a TV. On the other side of that TV island is the king size bed. Lastly, the bathroom is off the king-sized bed, through two outward-opening doors. The bathroom has a huge sink and huge walk-in shower.The room is clean & modern, and the wrap-around couch in the living area folds out into an uncomfortable bed.

Another huge plus to this place was the pool facilities: both the hot tub & pool are outside! This might sound scary in the winter, but the hot tub is nice & toasty...and the pool is heated! The pool area is very clean, with lots of towels & deck chairs, and even a showering facility. The free hotel wifi reaches the pool area as well, so you can use your tablet in the hot tub...like we did, to rest our legs and watch the super bowl :)

The free continental breakfast was also top-notch. There's always hot, fresh food like bacon, eggs, fruit, and cereals, as well as an omelet station. The food even TASTES good. I usually like to sleep in, but I woke up every morning for a delicious (free) breakfast.

Finally, the price for this stay can't be beat. I'm not sure if it was just a special TripAdvisor price that I got, but the cost per night was a STEAL for the value I just detailed above.

The biggest thing I loved about the Hyatt House was the staff. They really made the stay. They were friendly and always willing to help. Because of them, I'll surely be back when I'm in SLC/Sandy.

Room Tip: Every room is in a great location. They are all suites, I believe, so have full amenities.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
HyattSandy, General Manager at HYATT house Salt Lake City/Sandy, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Good Afternoon fonixmunkee,

Thank you for taking the time to write your compliments. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! I will share this with the staff, so we can ensure that we keep that high standard of taking care of the guest.

Safe Travels,

Jeff Olpin
Wake Forest, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

My husband and I went skiing to Snowbird and Alta. We picked the Hyatt House in Sandy for its proximity to the slopes (35 min), restaurants (5 min), and bonus discovery: movie theater (5 min). The room was clean and roomy. Lots of space for 2 to spread out and relax. Well equipped kitchen w/full refrigerator, stovetop burners and microwave. No bath but large standing shower with a lot of water pressure :)
The spa was working as well as the heated pool but we didnt use them. We loved the 5-7 from Monday thru Thursday... Free beer, wine & finger food! After a great day out on the slopes, we were excited to go back to the hotel and enjoy the perks! Breakfast was enjoyable with made to order omelettes plus fresh fruits, pancakes, scramble eggs, sausage, potatoes, cereals, etc.
A lot of positives and only one negative: skiers like us need to hang and dry gear/clothing but no hooks are on the walls. 2 hooks in the living room would have been very helpful. Friendly staff.
We strongly recommend this .

Room Tip: The back side of the hotel is facing the mountains. View of the highway if room is in the front of t...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed here on Christmas eve to christmas morning and it was great! They gave us a little gift and the front desk people were so awesome. The rooms were wonderful and we wished we would have stayed longer! The breakfast buffet was so awesome. The hotel itself was a little hidden away, but a very short walk to theaters, shopping, grocery, and the expo center.

Room Tip: Get a room facing west! There is a great view at night of all the city lights. Alternatively, a grea...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Room - fantastic. Clean. Big. It's a suite and I think it was bigger than my first apartment! TV in the living room but one also in the bedroom. My daughter went to bed in the living room and it was very easy for my husband and I to stay up later in the bedroom. The bath was large and easily housed all of our belongings. The kitchen was surprisingly roomy (well arranged) with an eat-in area.

Pool - very nice. Decent size. It is outside though so probably not something you'd use once it gets cold.

Exterior - There were grills and seating areas outside so that, if you were on an extended stay, you wouldn't have to always cook in your room.

Buffet breakfast - Pretty bad. The arrangement had the line divided and in a tiny alcove. Nothing was being on a regular basis and EVERYTHING was in the buffet including drinks so there was a lot of waiting around and cutting into lines. The food itself was mediocre at best so we stuck with cereal.

Location - good. There are grocery stores and shops just up the road so easy to get things to cook.

In general, I think they were making changes and they seemed to have a lot of new people so hopefully they've straightened those things out.

Room Tip: There is a little noise when you are in a highway facing room but no more than should be expected.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to HYATT house Salt Lake City/Sandy? Share your experiences!