“Could have been a great stay....” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #4 of 10 hotels in Sandy
Utah
“Could have been a great stay....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

Our stay at the Hampton Inn was a last minute decision. We stayed just one night as our teenaged son had an early morning soccer game close by. As I went online, I was very pleased with the price quoted especially knowing there would be a breakfast provided on Saturday morning. We have stayed at the Hampton Inn in Park City and were pleased with the accomodations there, also.

Travel to the hotel from the north was a disaster as we were stuck in southbound I15 traffic in the late afternoon. Not the hotel's fault, but know that I15 is a bear at rush hour time, even with the HOV lane. The hotel sits right off the 10600 south freeway offramp. Quick and easy access off and on.

We arrived and were quickly checked in. Front desk staff were very nice and cheerful. We were given keys to a room on the third floor, about as far from the front desk as you can get in this hotel. There is plenty of parking available and a back door near the elevators made access quick and easy.

As we arrived at the room, the keys wouldn't open the door. We tried all three keys and none of them worked. About that same time, another couple was coming down the hallway and was confused as to why we were trying to get into their room. Their keys worked and it soon became obvious we were at the wrong room. So I headed back downstairs, down the hall and to the front desk to find our room was actually on the fourth floor, right above the room we had been trying. We had been given the right keys, but told the wrong room number.

We collected our things and headed up another floor. When we got to the room, I was immediately concerned as this was one of three close together that did not have a "No Smoking" sign on the door. The moment we walked into the room, it was obvious that this was not a "No Smoking" room.

Back downstairs I went to the front desk and was advised that this had not been a smoking room "for at least three weeks".... (Tell that to the smell.) I asked for a different room, also noting it was on the south west corner of the hotel, immediatly adjacent to the I15 freeway, but was told they were all sold out of the type we had requested. The young man at the desk did promise to send up a machine that would clear the air while we headed off to dinner. And he assured me he had slept in the west rooms and the noise from the freeway would not be an issue because of the triple pane glass.

Right across the street east of the hotel is an Iggys Sports Grill. Always good food at Iggys and literally right accross a realtively quiet street.

Had difficulty connecting to the high speed internet until I went down to the lobby and got connected, then I could connect in the room.

When we returned after dinner, the air in the room was cleared and smelled much better thanks to the box they had brought in and ran while we were gone. We figured we would be OK for the night.

Luckily I always bring a white noise machine when we travel or the constant rumble of cars and semis down the freeway would have made sleep very difficult, in spite of the "triple pane glass".

The next morning we arose and got ready to head out to the game, figuring we could stop downstairs for breakfast and be on our way. To our dismay, the hotel lobby and food area was packed with dozens of over dressed and over made up Mary Kay cosmetics sales ladies. Apparently a convention in town. After waiting in line, we had just enough time to grab a couple of bagels and some fruit and eat on our way to the game. The concept of waiting for the single waffle maker was not even considered. Probably poor planning on our part for not showing up earlier for breakfast, but it still detracted from the relaxing morning we hoped it would be. Wish I could give a better description of the available breakfast fare, but we had no time.

After the soccer game, we returned to collect our belongings and head home. As soon as we entered the room, the smoke smell was back. I'm sure it was there when we left in the morning, but we had overlooked it as we got ready.

Overall, it is a nice hotel. Pleasant, clean rooms. Nice area for shopping and eating access. Very close to the Real Salt Lake stadium. I would consider staying again but I'll be sure to request a real non-smoking room and something on the east side of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask specifically for a room on the east side.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

161 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Holladay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

I went with a few co-workers to the Hampton Inn and absolutelly loved their hotel. They just finished a renovation and the hotel was gorgeous. The staff was super friendly and they had a great meeting room where we could meet daily. I will do all of our business meetings at their hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Afton, Wyoming
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

The hotel lobby is currently under construction, which was mentioned on their website. However, the back parking lot was filled with large transportation trucks and the parking was limited. Hotel location has some good restaurants within walking distance.

Hotel is located right next to the interstate and the rooms are very noisy. Even with ear plugs, I was awaken by train noise at 5:30 in the morning. Due to the noise, I am guessing that is why this hotel had the most affordable price of the hotels in this cluster block.

The room has a beautifully remodeled bathroom with extra towels. Very nicely appointed. The bed was comfortable with both soft and firm pillows available. Our
room did not have refrigerator or microwave. Wireless internet connection was easy to access. The TV selections were minimal at best. The breakfast was the usual variety of muffins, fruit, beverages and some steamed breakfast fare and half a dozen people backed up waiting to use the waffle iron.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Chapel Hill, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

I was here with my spouse and spent most of my two day trip inside this hotel. The breakfast was nice, and it was a neat surprise to see more to eat than just cereal, fruit and coffee. In the afternoon, when I asked where I could buy bottled water, the front desk staff just gave me some from behind the counter. There is an exercise room (you need your room key to enter) and there were two computers in the lobby with printers. A hotel shuttle will drive you anywhere within five miles of the hotel. There is a huge mall across the street (I don't recommend walking) with a Dillards and Macy's. There are also stoers like Kohls and Ross and a movie theatre blocks away that they will drive you to. Check-in and check-out were quick. The king size bed was great, the bathroom was big and the tv had lots of cable channels. It was 101 degrees when I was there and the hotel was actually very cold to us. We actually tried to turn on the heater at night, but it would not come on...I'm sure we were the only one's complaining the constant chill in the hotel room. There is a swimming pool, but it is covered/inside. The Salt Lake City airport is about 20 minutes away. Others in my group told me a public rail system near the hotel takes you directly downtown Salt Lake City, but I never inquired. An interstate was visible from the room window, but their was no traffic noise. This is a nice hotel, but nothing fancy...no bathrobes or room service, but decent.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

Internet was insanely slow, don't advertise high speed then connect us at pathetic speeds. Showers were cold if you got up too late, showers before 6:30 were fine, after were cold.

Everything else was standard, complimentary breakfast was fine, got kind of bland after a week.

Wouldn't stay here again, i'll recommend the company chooses another location next time.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Cedar City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

We stayed in the Hampton Inn in Sandy, Utah. The first night was horrible. The Utah National Guard was also staying at the hotel and about 10 pm the party started in the hall of the hotel. At midnight I called the front desk and was told by the night manager," that they knew about it and would let it go on". The guard was having a party. I called back at 1:00 and was told that the guard was on the roof and wanted to know if I was calling about that problem because they were told to get down! at 1:30 AM I opened the door into the hall and found 5 men yelling obscenities while drunk. And finally, at 2 AM I called (3rd time) and told the front desk to expect the police because I was beyond fed up! The night manager told me that they were in the process of moving them to the lobby! THE NIGHT MANAGER SHOULD LOOSE HIS JOB! This is the worst customer service experience I have ever experienced from this hotel company. They gave my small family a room next to a group of National Guard Members, that they knew wanted to party!???? The next morning I spoke to a gentleman in the elevator that also had the same problem as my family. The hotel was not full- putting my family and his family next to this group was stupid on the hotel staffs part.

Stayed July 2008
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2008

I stay here often on business. Highway side and south side is really loud. The obnoxious car dealer sign on the south side makes it the worst part of the place. The breakfast is like most Hamptons - pretty awful. Rooms are standard Hampton. No flat panel TVs yet. The staff is accomodating and there are plenty of restaurants nearby, so they get an above average rating. Avoid Jim's. Iggy's is a good sports bar and is the de facto lobby bar for the Hampton. But be aware of Utah's bizarre liquor laws and their inconsistent application at Iggy's. You will either need to eat dinner or at least buy some chips and salsa. They have the local fave Polygamy Porter on tap. Carver's next door is nicely decorated but the food is always salty to my taste. The TGI Fridays across 10600 is not bad. Starbucks is nearby. Never skied from here but the bus stops right outside. You can have a short walk south toward Costco past the auto dealers.

• Stayed March 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hampton Inn Salt Lake City/Sandy? Share your experiences!