“Standard Marriott, Clean and Modern.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Sandy
bakert80
“Standard Marriott, Clean and Modern.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Last time I was in Salt Lake for business I stayed at the downtown Marriott. This time it was booked so I stayed in Sandy. Things I liked better about the Sandy location were that it seemed more modern, and the air conditioner was not as noisy. That was my one major problem with the downtown location, I could not sleep at night due to the noise of the AC. So that made my stay more comfortable. This location is pretty standard, had an indoor pool, larger area for manager's reception than downtown. The one drawback of this location was that I had to drive to find food, rather than walking a couple blocks in downtown. I had no problems with this hotel, I would definately recommend for someone who isn't looking for a nightlife. Being a young professional I would prefer to stay downtown where there is more going on at night. For a family vacation however, I would stay in Sandy.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Dade City, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

We stayed here because there was no other rooms in the Salt lake area because of a very large convention. There are few places to light on a trip form Reno to Denver. Convention pricing was applied so the room wasn't cheap, but after entering the room, I was happy. It was a 2 br suite with 3 tvs a FULL kitchen and a fireplace. It was very LARGE and very clean. It wasn't my first, second, or third choice, but my only choice. But next time, it is on the top of my list when anywhere near Salt Lake City. Plenty of places to eat in the immediate area too.

Room Tip: Get the 2 br suite, it is amazing.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

The hotel is located essentially at the foot (okay, a few miles West) of the entry to one of the ski (Cottonwood) canyons. You can also get quick access to the other Cottonwood Canyon, so hotel is very well positioned to do 4 resorts in two canyons. We took the shuttle for our 4 days of skiing in them. Except on President's Day (which we Canadians had not known about!), the shuttle was pleasant, and timely. We even had it to ourselves a couple of times on the ride home, which was nice (although the Utahans are friendly...nice to chat with on the shuttle). We bought a combined ski and shuttle (and SLC transit) pass from the front desk and it was all very convenient, although initially they had not heard of the pass. Got a CAA (equivalent to AAA) discount on the room: better than the rate offered through the SLC ski site.

Later on in our stay, we rented a car and hopped on the freeway to go to Snow Basin area for 2 days skiing; no real way to get there otherwise. I would stay in Ogden area next time: much quieter, cleaner air...but low key (probably rent a private condo would be the way to go). area reminds me of Alberta foothills....gorgeous!

Anyway, the big daily free breakfast at Sandy Residence Inn was also a high point. Lots of choice including some healthy options such as fruit and cooked cereal, yogurt, but also eggs, meat spuds, pastries etc.

Yes, lots of military so...say hello!

The "Free beer and wine" promoted on hotel website (I complained to Marriott about this) turned out to be social nights on the earlier days of the week...cocktail hours essentially. We turned that into dinner a couple of times as there were lots of snacks two nights. but otherwise, no free beer and wine (husband knew it was "too good to be true"). Free coffee, pop, though and a vending machine for snacks.

The shuttle to cottonwood canyon ski hills is maybe .5 mile away, but the van service from the hotel over to the shuttle base was very reliable and prompt, so they whisked us there and picked us up right away from the station. That same bus/shuttle station is end of line for the light rail transit for salt lake city, so we were able to head into town for dinner (phenomenal pizza at Settobello) & to the tabernacle on Sunday a.m. (Stupendous music!) Get yourself a timetable for the LRT and ski shuttle.

Nice large grocery store nearby, also good wine/liquor store and again, the hotel van guys can pick you up and take you there and back pronto!

Not much else in Sandy, unless the soccer season is on. Bunch of chain restaurants...ginormous shopping mall, tiny nice aquarium for kiddies.

The room (1 bdrm studio) very nice and clean. Comfortable king bed, nice large kitchen to cook in. There is a BBQ outside and they even let us use it in winter! So, we did well for in-house cooking, especially since we discovered Whole Foods on the transit line and brought home some healthy food!

free internet access in lobby.

biggest downer was: we arrived sleepy from voyage and didn't get a firm answer when I asked, does room face the freeway? Gal at desk said, "it faces into courtyard" but she forgot to mention "but you can see the freeway". Awoke 3 a.m. in morning hearing freeway sounds, most nights. I live in downtown Toronto and have a cottage/cabin literally in "the bush" up north of toronto so we were disappointed with the freeway noise. Together with being at a hotel in the suburbs of a gigantic urban sprawl, this was not a "get away from it all' vacation: the only nature was on the ski hill, as it were; it seems the valley itself has poor air from the cars and mining ops etc., but that may be more so in the winter (inversion?). We had to move rooms finally, to get away from the freeway noise and view, and we ended up on 2nd floor with what seemed like a large family in the room directly above, running around from morning til night all excited I guess (kids). My husband had to get aggressive in his complaints at front desk before they quietened down and stopped jumping, so noise does seem to carry up/down. Ideal room would NOT face freeway, and would be on the 3rd/top floor. see if you can book that and have fun skiing! We went end of Feb//beginning of March and saw no Ontario powder (ice) at all, just nice snow. really enjoyed the steep groomed stuff at Snow Basin espec. the olympic runs.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

I met up with family to go skiing. Stayed for 3 nights. Had a 2 bedroom suite. Rooms were quiet. Beds were comfortable with lots of pillows. Baths were well planned. Had sink with mirror/countertop space and a separate room for shower and toilet. Had 3 televisions..one in each bedroom and one in living room. Kitchen was well stocked with tableware and full size fridge/oven. Breakfast in morning was great - eggs, meat, waffles, pastries, fresh fruit, juices (4kinds), oatmeal. Breakfast area was constantly monitored with very helpful employees. I'd come back in a heartbeat. The slightly lower rating on "Value" is because it was expensive.

• Stayed March 2011
Livonia, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my husband and another couple in a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom unit. We paid ~$150 per night, and a full breakfast buffet was included in the price.

We stayed for 3 nights. The hotel was a short 30 or so minute drive from Brighton and Snowbird. The room had 2 bedrooms, each with a king bed, and a private bathroom, a full kitchen, and a living room. It was so much better than having 4 people stay in a room with 2 double beds, and when you consider what we would have spent for breakfast, it wasn't much more money. The rooms were very nicely decorated and maintained.

The breakfast buffet was great. It had eggs, meat, potatos, a variety of breads and pastries, and a waffle station. It was convenient to simply run down and have breakfast and then go back to the room to put ski clothes on and head to the hill.

Sandy has endless restaurants and stores, so you could find anything you needed a short distance away. Also, there was a Canyon Sports shop very nearby, which was important because we bought our discount lift tickets there every morning.

This place was great for us, because we like to ski at a different hill everyday, so we don't have much interest in staying at a particular ski hill. We plan to return to this hotel next year for another ski weekend.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

We enjoyed the friendy and accommodating staff and extensive complimentary breakfast selections.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Walton, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

My husband and I and our 19 month old son stayed here for 3 nights while on a ski trip. This was our first time in the Sandy area (always stayed in Midvale) but it won't be our last. The hotel is close to Super Target and lots of restaurants. We skied at Alta every day and it was a direct 30 minute drive.

The breakfast buffet was great. Hot scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, cereals, pastries, fruit etc. One of the better complimentary breakfasts I have ever had.

The room was clean and serviced by housekeeping every day. Our requests for non-feather pillows and a crib were taken care of right away.

Now...about those pillows. There were 4 feather pillows on the bed when we arrived. My husband is allergic to feather pillows and I just don't like them. When housekeeping brought up the replacement non-feather pillows, you really could not tell the difference unless you looked at the tag. They were just as soft and squishy as feather pillows. (I'm guessing they were "down alternative") This is my only complaint about the hotel. I did not have a decent night's sleep the entire 3 nights because of the pillows. They should offer a foam alternative to the feather pillows for those of us who like a bit more support.

Other than the pillows, I can find no fault with this hotel. The location, the breakfast....all great.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Salt Lake City Sandy? Share your experiences!