“Just what I wanted” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 42 Hotels in St. George
New York City, New York
“Just what I wanted”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I just returned from five nights at the spa, alone without children. It was just what I wanted - a luxurious room, warm and friendly service, an introduction to hiking and some pampering. This place is what you make of it, in my opinion. It's not perfect but it what exactly what I was looking for. The grounds are lovely. There is an odd condo set up with an even more intrusive and ugly banner that hangs out announcing activities....kind of low-rent, if you ask me, and it breaks the "spell" of wandering around and seeing all the roses and water fountains, etc. The rooms are spectacular and the adults only pools are lovely. The hiking program was FANTASTIC. Each day, new sites, attentive guides, supportive environment. The spa treatments I had were lovely. The food was delicious. The dining room however, could use an update. It's a little dark and dingy for such a marvelous environment otherwise. This is not an excellent rating because of the odd condo/signage set up and the dining area needing an update. Otherwise, it was really a perfect stay.

Room Tip: Be in a room that enters onto the pool
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
New Caney, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This was our third stop of a 10 day trip. We booked a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo. Full kitchen, full W&D, three tvs, new furniture, tastefully decorated, clean, balcony with table and chairs. We so needed this after tiny hotel rooms! Pool was awesome, lots of restaurants close by. 45 minutes from entrance to Zion National Park. Helpful, polite staff and a great value. Will stay longer next time.

Room Tip: These units are individually owned, so decor, etc will vary.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Allendale, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Green Valley had everything I was looking for - challenging hikes in a beautiful setting, delicious but calorie-controlled food, warm caring staff, and attractive well-thought out facilities. Every person I interacted with was friendly and helpful, and made me feel they had my best interests, and what I wanted to accomplish, at heart. A lovely surprise was the labyrinth on the property, where I was able to enjoy prayer time in the cooling evening beneath a beautiful pink sky.

My room was just as beautiful and well-appointed as pictured.

The whole experience was so restorative - I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: My room had a patio that opened onto the smaller spa pool - I loved that location.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I just completed a 30-day stay at GVS, where I participated in their fast-track weight loss program. I lost 20 pounds, which was nice, but more importantly, my cholesterol fell a jaw-dropping 75 points (from 245 to 170) and my fasting glucose, which has been pre-diabetic for the past decade is now at 73, well within normal range. The kitchen staff is fantastic, accommodating at least half-a-dozen special food plans for guests at each meal, always happy to answer questions or fix any problem you might have with a meal. The weight-loss and fitness staff are fantastic, knowledgeable, enthusiastic, practice what they preach, available by text/e-mail/phone when not actually on-site. The hiking guides are the most genial people on the planet, and the hiking is stellar (but July can be a challenging time to be in St. George, with the extreme heat). The guest rooms are luxurious, with the most comfortable bed I've slept on anywhere in the world - you sink into that feather bed and fall right off to dreamland - especially after a nice soak in your large, jetted tub at the end of an active day). I learned how to really deeply rest and relax; I amped up my physical activity as *I* felt ready, healed a chronic shoulder injury and learned a lot of fun ways to stay active (not just traditional gym workouts on boring machines - although those machines are abundantly available if you like using them); I learned how to cook for good health and how to grocery shop for good health; I completely changed my eating habits and lost the sugar cravings that have been making me sick for so many years. You can achieve wonderful stress reduction in a shorter stay, but if you're looking for a total health make-over and you can spend 30 days, Green Valley Spa in St. George is definitely where you want to go. I plan to return *at least* annually for a re-charge, and I'm looking forward to seeing the long-term results of the healthful lifestyle habits I adopted at GVS and as I continue practicing them at home. Just can't rave enough about Green Valley Spa!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any of the rooms. They all have private patios, most of which open up on...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Currently, Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This review is basically going to be a litany of complaints. This is literally the worst hotel experience I've ever had.

1. I booked this hotel on CheapTickets.com. The stated price was $76/night. When I arrived at the hotel, I found that the charge would be $115/night. When I asked for an itemized list of charges, I was informed that, "our system does not allow us to print that out".

2. As other reviewers have stated, I had to sign three pages of rules and regulations, as well as initialing in maybe 8 spots. These people are obsessed with rules.

3. The front desk staff was generally rude, and clearly didn't want to welcome us... they just wanted to ensure that we followed all their rules.

4. We had asked for a room with two beds or a fold out sofa. We were given a room with one bed, and a sofa that did not fold out. When I asked to be moved, they indicated I could go to a 3 bedroom apartment at more than twice the cost.

5. There were not enough towels for all of us in the room, and we were never able to get another towel. We asked at the front desk twice. On the second try they did grudgingly give us some floor mats to dry ourselves with.

6. The hotel has a policy that they do a pre-checkout inspection of your room. This is quite a hassle, and somewhat demeaning... but given how litigious this company seems, I'm acually happy to do this.

7. The room itself is old and shabby. The carpet looks dirty. The tv is an old tube 13" tv. There's another tv in the bedroom... but really it is maybe 9". The TV stand is broken. The furniture is just cheap particle board. This looks basically like a 2* hotel.

8. Dinner is available at the on-site restaurant from 6-7pm? Seriously, they are open for one hour.

We will not be staying here again, and certainly do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
greenvalleysparesort, Public Relations Manager at Green Valley Spa and Resort, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
I would like to begin by clarifying that this review is of our privately owned condos, and not the Coyote Inn at Green Valley Spa.
We were sorry to hear that your experience with the condos was unsatisfactory. I understand the frustration with the price, and we are working with our third party booking agencies to make sure they have included all taxes and cleaning fees in their prices.
I would also like to apologize for the towel situation. We are always willing to provide towels to our guests with no trouble.
As for the paper work at check-in, it is necessary for the upkeep of our property and the property of the condo owners.
We are sorry that the room seemed like it needed an update, but as I have previously stated, these are privately owned condos. We have no control over their decoration or furnishings.
Again, we are sorry for the poor experience with the condos, and we will work towards improvement with these properties.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Rooms were spacious and very clean. The grounds were beautiful and well kept. Loved all the pools. The restaurant was great. Front desk was friendly and very helpful. Only thing we did not like was that they charge $2.00 to play Putt-Putt. Granted $2.00 is not much but should come with the room. Other than that it is a fantastic place.

• Stayed June 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

A friend and I stayed at Green Valley Spa for 5 days in May of 2013. The staff were pleasant and efficient upon arrival, providing us with a tour of the facilities and explaining the classes and other amenities we could use. We frequently relied on their recommendations for restaurants and hiking tips in the nearby state and national parks.

St. George is conveniently close to Snow Canyon State Park, Zion National Park and several interesting LDS points of interest. We were up and at 'em every morning by 7:30 to grab a hearty breakfast on property and then off for a daily adventure. Our breakfasts were included but everything else was a la carte. (They have an all inclusive spa package that we didn't do). The resort has daily on property classes and can arrange hiking, biking and other excursions. If you want to sleep in all day and have breakfast at 11, this might not be the place for you.

Since I was traveling with a friend and not as a couple, I was glad to see two huge queen beds in the room, plenty of close space, a well-appointed bathroom, spa robes and a fireplace! Our room had a private terrace and we were steps away from two adult-only pools. The room also had a kitchenette and a fridge where we were able to store food and bevs from a local grocery store. The room was a bungalow style, attached on each side with similar rooms. Nice landscaping of a variety of roses and flowering shrubs.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Green Valley Spa and Resort? Share your experiences!