“Has No Equal!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 42 Hotels in St. George
Northern Virginia
“Has No Equal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

This is everything you could want in the way of warm and friendly, top notch services (the best anywhere, and this from a seasoned spa traveler), unbelievable accommodations, outstanding tennis program, personalized class instruction, all set within easy access to breathtaking canyon views available every day as part of the hiking program.
Nothing touches this place for warmth and comfort and a real concern for the individual's stay. It is not just lip service. Everyone from the owners on down really care what you want and what you think. They are determined to see that you feel a sense of calm, relaxation, health for mind and body and general well being.
The rooms have everything you could want. The bedding makes it so you never want to get up. Each room has a whirlpool tub. It is not a room, it is a haven.
This is a place that allows you to push yourself or rest yourself - with no message either way. Get as much exercise and outdoor activity as you want. Or sit and meditate, read, relax and soak up the quiet. In May, there are literally thousands and thousands of flowers blooming everywhere you walk on the grounds.
This traveler takes advantage of spas wherever I travel - in every city in this country and Europe. That said, I go back to Green Valley every year for the last thirteen years. I go with the same friend and we consider this our time to relax, relate and renew. We would not miss it.
I finally decided to share the secret so that others know what they have been missing.

• Liked — Everything! The total experience.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2008

I have stayed at hotels across the country and in 20 cities throughout the world, so I have seen my share of hotels. I try and find unique properties in the cities my business takes me to keep things interesting. When in large cities I try to find the local "W" hotels or a boutique hotel with similar tastes. So when personal circumstances led me to southern Utah in the remote Utah vacation spot called St. George, I picked the only place that looked like it could satisfy my need for new experiences and one that would help me take some time out for me.

I reserved a room in the new Green Valley Spa Residences, and I was impressed from the moment I opened the gate to the courtyard of my suite. Opening the door to the room or should I say house, things got even better. I felt I had entered the executive suite equal to any hotel I had ever stayed in. The Residence suite was well over 3400 sq. feet, with brand new furnishings, a complete kitchen, top notch appliances, flat screen T.V. and water purifiers at the sink. The Residence has two equally fitted master bedrooms (I only needed one) with an AMAZINGLY comfortable bed and LARGE (60 in) flatscreen TVs and a bathroom/shower area large enough to throw a party in.

I had my own private exercise room and sauna - yes I said sauna. I also had a beautiful desk with complimentary wireless access to stay up on email. Every detail was covered for a person far from home wanting to relax and experience something unique AND lose a few pounds.

The Residences also spoke to the environmental conscious side of me as well. There were all sorts of "green" lighting, air conditioner/heaters, appliances etc. I have to admit, that these had to be pointed out to me by the staff, because I never looked deeper than the beautiful aesthetics of the room, but it made me feel just a little more responsible once I knew. But that was all I felt responsible for. Everything else was already taken care of for me.

I indulged in two spa treatments during my stay and I have never had anything close at any Ritz or W I have ever stayed in. I had the Hot Oil Treatment on the recommendation of the concierge, and the Ultimate Massage. The Hot Oil sounded like something my wife might get, but I trusted the recommendation and pushed forward. I am so glad I did. It was 40 minutes of heaven for my tired shoulders, neck and scalp. I had chills nearly the entire treatment. The massage was more than just a massage - it was a process of relaxation and detox.

I don't understand some of the other negative comments made on this site. I found the facility to be inviting, calming and far less sterile than what you find at typical spas in cities or in hotels. I looked into a few of the other Coyote Inn rooms to compare for future stays, and I would have been completely satisfied with them as well. They were a great combination of artistry and southwestern architecture coupled with the comfort, luxury and whimsy all rolled into 1700 sq. ft. suites or smaller jr. suites. I was glad to experience the indulgent Residences, but I loved the warmness of the Coyote Inn.

I was so impressed with my stay at Green Valley Spa, that I had to comment on it here. Bravo to the staff, bravo to the accommodations, and bravo to the experience I was given at GV Spa. I plan on coming back for their tennis and golf programs.

• Liked — Unique and individual expressions of modern travel and modern living
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
san diego, ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2008

3 friends (a 30-something, a 40-something, & a 50-something) just got home after 3 nights at Green Valley Spa and felt compelled to immediately warn the general public about this so-called “retreat”. As avid spa goers, we were looking for a new spa destination and chose Green Valley Spa based on a Travel & Leisure article.

Driving up to the resort, we thought we took a wrong turn. We were immersed in the middle of a suburban neighborhood surrounded by concrete with no natural surroundings or views as opposed to the flora & fauna of our dream spa.

Check-in was easy and Andy gave us a thorough tour of the property. Upon entering the room and unpacking, we couldn’t help but notice the very dated décor and mish mash of Tex Mex meets grandma’s attic styles. It’s obvious the resort was built in the mid-80s and has not been updated since. The floor lamp was missing its shade and had a burnt out bulb. The TV looked like it came from a garage sale in St. George and had wires hanging out of it draping down the wall. Where was our zen?

The bed was cushy and comfortable, but when one of us stepped off they sunk into a swamp of carpet quicksand since it was recently cleaned and still soaking wet. To top that off, an open container of Soft Scrub chemical cleaner was left next to our toothbrushes in the bathroom… another serving of chemicals please or should we just be happy that something was getting cleaned?!

We started to fantasize about our upcoming massage treatments and hoped it would all get better soon. Boy were we wrong… the spa facility was even more dated than the room. It gave us a flashback to the hotels of the 60’s in the Catskill Mountains. We felt like we were in a nursing home lobby rather than the spa-like paradise we expected. The lounge covers on the Adirondack chairs in the relaxation room looked like they hadn’t been washed in months, the teacups had chips and stains on them, the window rattled from the air conditioning and the whole place needed to be tented and gassed.

The treatments were hit or miss. Some of the treatments were exceptional, while others were not. It was hard to relax during the signature outdoor Hot Oil Treatment while children were screaming in the pool and bouncing basketballs in the adjacent condos.

Then there came dinner… thank goodness for pizza delivery & dairy queen. All 3 of us enjoy healthy spa cuisine, but this was something very different. Overall, all the meals were tasteless and inedible. Low calorie doesn’t have to have no taste. The service wasn’t much better. For the most part, the servers were incoherent and inattentive. How do you run out of iced tea in a place with tea bags everywhere? And how do you eat oatmeal on a bowl with yesterday’s oatmeal still crusted on it? To top it off, there was supposedly “endless snacks” throughout the day for the guests between meals. On Friday by noon, after our 5 mile strenuous hike, a good portion of the fruit, cheese and other snacks had not yet been replenished.

Overall the hikes were great and the Southern Utah painted desert landscape is not to be missed. We do caution you that the guides don’t carry working walkie talkies and there were a few moments were some communication would have been nice.

In closing, we thought we signed up for 3 days of heaven and instead we were sentenced to 3 days in purgatory.

• Liked — the beds
  • Disliked — the food
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2008

This was my second time back to GVRS and yes, some of the decor is dated...but the facilities (and TVs) are not from the 80s. I have stayed at many four star resorts and the experience here is different. It is a small resort and a family run resort and it shows with their customer service. You get to know the staff, you get to know the other guests and you feel like you are at summer camp for grown ups. What GVRS is not:

1. A spandex jungle
2. A chain resort (Ritz, Four Seasons, Westin, Hyatt).
3. A couples romantic escape

What GVRS is:

1. A great place that feels like home, but only if home comes with a chef, massage therapists, 1000 rose bushes and incredible bedding.
2. A place to stretch yourself with physical challenges (hikes and classes)
3. A place that you will find rest, incredible beauty and new friends.

• Liked — the hiking
  • Disliked — I had to leave eventually
Cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2008

My first trip to Green Valley. I agree with the other reviews listed here, the Mission House and Spa decor is getting a little dated. The only other criticism would be the grounds during winter are dominated by buildings, like the indoor tennis and golf, but what can you do in February?
The spa food was tasty, with small portions. At first I felt I was still hungry, but then quickly adjusted. Also, there is all you can eat fruit, cheese sticks and veggies between meals.
Our day began at 7 with a hearty breakfast, then we would go on one of the guided hikes for 2-3 hours. (1st level of hike too easy, 2nd level just right with some boulder climbing and shimmying in crevices, the highes tlevel of hikes looked way too hard.), then return to spa for dip in pool/jacuzzi, lunch, and then nap.
Treatments that came with our package: I had to try the chakra/aura analysis just to see what it was, but it was pretty silly. Life counseling session was interesting, Jane Miner made me feel comfortable. The massages are all great.

I loved the down-after-down layer of the beds, the skylights and the gas fireplace in the rooms. Our room also had a little fridge for wine and snacks.

Overall, an excellent experience.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2008

This was my second time returning to the Green Valley Spa. I was a little nervous that it would not hold up to the last time I was a guest, I was wrong. I love this place!!!! The first time I came I did not know what to expect and I loved it. This time my expectations were high and I was nervous that I would be dissapointed. Green Valley is an amazing place to center yourself and revive. The staff truly believes in the what they are selling. I recieved wonderful inspiration for my life, increased my energy with all the hiking, lost weight with the diet they serve and pampered every inch of my skin with the amazing spa treatments.
I just finished reading eat, pray, love and a new earth and wanted to go some place that would signify the begining of my new life. Green Valley Spa is the perfect place! Green Valley truly walks the talk. I leave this place with a smile on my face and laughter in my heart. Green Valley has given me all the tools to live life to the fullest!

• Liked — the bed and bath tub
  • Disliked — that I could not bring it home with me
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2008

Before coming I read mixed reviews about Green Valley. I am an experienced spa-goer and have been to Miraval, Lake Austin Spa and the Golden Door. Green Valley is a somewhat different experience, but overall I gave it above average marks:

My likes: very comfortable room, plenty of bath products and a jacuzzi tub, coffee was always brewing (Starbucks!), great hiking with knowledgeable guides (you need to get off the property and do some hikes in the desert/canyons to really get the experience - its invigorating and inspirational), a low key atmosphere - it is not a physical bootcamp or a fat farm - you can push yourself as much or as little as you want. Food was excellent. The workout room was very modern and large with new equipment - frequently I was the only one there using it and I felt like I had my own private gym.

I was neutral about the treatments. They were pretty good, but not exceptional. The spa facility is okay, but could benefit from an updating and a more comfortable quiet area where you wait for your treatments. I did really like the products they used and purchased some to bring home

My dislikes were minor: I found the program scheduling a little too tight and in some cases odd. Meditation was scheduled at 1:00 p.m. - who wants to meditate on a full stomach? If you wait until after class to eat, lunch has already ended. Also the evening programs started at 7:00 p.m. Since many people are still finishing their dinner at 7:00 you either have to rush to finish dinner or miss the program. Starting it at 7:30 or 7:45 would seem much more logical. I missed out on one or two things I wanted to do b/c things were so tightly scheduled and I refused to rush.

Overall, though, a very relaxing experience and I would go back esp for the great hiking experience

• Liked — large comfy room and gas fireplace
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Green Valley Spa and Resort? Share your experiences!