“Rooms were spacious and immaculate” 4 of 5 stars

Green Valley Spa and Resort
3.0 of 5 Spa   |   1871 W Canyon View Dr, St. George, UT 84770   |
Ranked #23 of 42 hotels in St. George
San Diego, California
“Rooms were spacious and immaculate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed here just one night on the way from San Diego to Denver. Didn't use the spa facilities so can't comment on that but the spa facility rooms looked great. The room was spacious and in the southwest style with a fireplace and a very large bathroom with a jetted tub. Driving up to the front of the the hotel was sort of disappointing since it looks like just a big parking lot. But after getting to the room everything changed. The grounds have rose bushed everywhere and the pool is sparkling. The breakfast was ordered individually and served to us and was one of the best that we have had at a hotel and it was included in the room price. It is a little bit of a drive to get to restaurants for dinner but in the old part of St George there are plenty of good places to eat. The bed was comfortable and had a great night's sleep, We would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

157 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Salem, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My girlfriend jumped for joy, when we entered our room at green valley spa. We had just stayed three days in luxury at the Aria in Vegas, and came up to St.George for some outdoor activities. This hotel was a good pick . Green Valley is away form the busy commercial areas of St. George on a hill over looking the west valley. Th room had a gas fire place , fridge, coffee maker, etc. A big comfrey bed,and patio right at the pool. This place very worth the try.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We made a reservation to stay at Las Palmas in a 4 bedroom 3 bath condo. The process of booking the condo and giving my money went smoothly. After they had my credit card information it went downhill.
We were told we could be in the condo between 4-5pm. Which is an unusually late check in but we took what we could get. Spring Break in St. George is pretty booked so we were happy to have a nice place to stay. I checked in and they told me the condo might not be ready until after 5 but that we could have access to their facilities. They said it in a way that made me think their facilities were something we would be excited about having access to. It was more of a community pool style bathroom with a run down shower and a few lockers in a cramped room. Our group alone couldn't fit well in there and that was for the whole resort.
We had 10 kids including 2 babies and had just come off a really long drive. We had planned to do dinner in the condo that night and looked forward to checking in and relaxing and getting the kids settled somewhere. We figured we could do anything for a few hours, got the kids in their swimsuits and headed out to the pools. At 5.15 I called and they told me it was not ready yet but would be soon. At 6pm I still hadn't heard and they told me it was almost done. At 6.30 I called and asked if we could get in to at least start cooking our dinner (which I had been telling them we were planning on since the beginning of the day when I was hoping for an early check in). She said the unit was still not ready. I asked if we could at least go and put a baby down for a nap and asked her where they were in the process. I asked her to please call housekeeping and give me a time. She put me on hold for a while and then came back on to let me know they had just STARTED cleaning our room. We had tired, hungry kids, which is our own fault except for that we had planned our evening around the GUARANTEED check in time of 5:00. I was livid and so were the other moms. They told me they would call me when it was ready. I won't bore everyone with details about our crazy and frustrating night but I will just say that by the time we got in to the condo - 8:00 PM we were done. They told me I could talk to a manager in the morning.
The manager was less than helpful. She told me they had a lot of rooms to clean and that we were unfortunately the last thing. She didn't apologize or even seem to understand that we had paid a LOT of money to have a place to eat dinner at a condo rather than a restaurant wrangling a lot of kids. She comped me our cleaning fee which didn't even cover the cost of our dinner that we had to buy because they did not live up to their side of the contract.
I was very disappointed that they did not offer anything to us to let us know that this is NOT how they do business. It was more of a "this happens" attitude. I would love to stay at Las Palmas again as we had a great time and they have great facilities but I would NEVER stay in a condo managed by Green Valley. I would advise everyone to be very careful of this managment company as they are dishonest, and do not care that they don't do what they say they will do. I feel sorry for the owner of unit 806 because it is a really lovely condo and had we not had such a terrible experience with the managment company we would be trying to rebook that specific condo a lot.

• Liked — the las palmas pools and the view from our condo.
  • Disliked — green valley managment company
  • Stayed April 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We just returned after spending two nights at the spa. We were very warmly greeted. Andy the concierge (seemingly jack of all trades) was terrific in showing us around the grounds and giving us a couple spot on restaurant recommendations. While we enjoyed the spa, the treatment was well above average even if the spa itself is not as nice as we were expecting, the reason for the strong rating was our hiking experience. I spoke to Mark, the head of that department, before we arrived and while we weren't completely sure what to expect when we got there, we were blown away. Our guides, we hired a private guide (turned out to be two), since we were going to be taking our kids, girls ages 8 and 10, with us. Michelle and Josh absolutely made our day. They have kids of their own and were great with ours. Our kids now love hiking, can't wait to go back, and we will recommend Michelle and Josh to anyone who asks. You can't go wrong any where in St. George, but Green Valley is definitely among the elite.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

It's always the small things that make a resort go from good to great! The staff was very friendly/helpful, the rooms nicely decorated (beds are heavenly, the whirlpool tubs are divine in the bathrooms and the gas fireplace really sets the mood) and the five different heated pools to choose from such a swimmer's dream (two are adult only - Yea!)! What really placed this stay over the top was the little thoughtful touches in the room. Being a coffee addict - the ability not only to brew your own coffee but grind your own beans in the morning for the freshest drink - AWESOME! (There is also a selection of tea to choose from or bottled water). The room comes with a mini-fridge so if you're not in the mood to eat out, you can grab some sandwich fixings and have a great night in with the DVD player. To top it all off,a hot air popcorn popper with popcorn is available as well. So imagine an evening after having a long relaxing bath, snuggling on the couch under a soft comforter, with the fire going while having popcorn and watching a movie...How doesn't get better than that.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed 9 days/8 nights at the Green Valley Spa and enrolled in the hCG weight loss program. I also had the adventure package that included a daily spa treatment.

Pros
-Customer service was phenomenal! I was greeted as I got out of the shuttle van with a smile and a hand. I was promptly checked in and given a tour of the property by Johnny, very knowledgeable and friendly. He even took me to an ATM as the one at the airport wasn't working. Every staff person introduced themselves and welcomed to me the Spa. The wait staff were personable and friendly. Michael went above and beyond.
-Hiking. Wow. The hiking is bar none. I have a knee injury and required the "light trails." I was the only one signed up for light trails and either had 1 or 2 guides each day. The hikes were personalized to my fitness (or lack of) level and limitations with my knee. I took amazing photos and received a great workout! Mark the program director is full of energy and creates hikes daily to meet the needs of the guests. He is truly passionate and the energy is contagious!
-Food. The food was amazing. The chef Edgardo is personable and knowledgeable. Healthy food that tastes good. They even made some modifications to my preferences.
-Spa services. I had daily spa treatments and some days I added additional services. All types of massages, reflexology, Cranio Sacral, Healing Touch, Luxury Bath, Desert Clay, Scent Therapy, and more! I am a "pro" when it comes to massage. I've had hundreds of massages in my life across the US. I have to say each treatment I received was spectacular! Jake gives an excellent sports massage, Matt for Shiatsu, Debra for anything, Donelle for healing touch (it was amazing). All of my services were fantastic.
-Room. The bed was comfortable, the room spacious enough. Tea and coffee provided in the room. A fridge. And the whirlpool bathtub. Divine.
-Program. The programs were terrific. I was on hCG and really enjoyed the grocery store tour and the cooking class. Marianne was friendly and supportive. Marium was also very supportive. In fact, everyone on property is very supportive.
-Classes. I'm not a "class" person but I did very much enjoy the daily aquacize class.
-Personal Training. I opted for a personal training session and was blown away by the customization that I received from Mark (the tennis pro, not the guide). He took time to understand my goals, my routines, and my limitations. He developed a routine for me that I can travel with.
-Atmosphere. This is not a pretentious resort. The staff are friendly and the guests are friendly.

As much as I enjoyed myself and I will return, there are always cons:
-Facilities. The facilities themselves are a bit dated and worn (from the rooms to the spa and everywhere else). Clean, but worn. It's definitely time for a remodel.
-Spa linens. The spa linens were not the luxurious thread count I'm used to. The were thin and the tables were only adequate, not plush.
-Indoor pool. The indoor pool is owned by the adjacent condos. Condos = families = screaming kids in the indoor pool. Aquacize was hampered by screaming kids. The weekend instructor did a good job of letting the families know we were there and asked them to move. Also the indoor pool is simply a greenhouse over the pool. You have to walk outdoors to get back to the clubhouse. It's February and there were some cold days.
-Tipping. I personally appreciate a truly all inclusive package which includes gratuities. They made it easy to tip spa personnel.
-Online booking. I wouldn't book online again. I'd call to make the reservation.

Again, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, didn't want to leave and will return!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the tennis courts. It wasn't a problem in February too much but I can...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Tempe, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Our stay was for only one night so we were not there to take advantage of a spa experience. However I scheduled in advance a hot stone massage believing that the essence of the place was its spa services. Our favorite part of the experience was, by far, the wonderful room, or "residence" as it is called. It was a unit off one of the large, well maintained pools and it was much to our liking. Very spacious, it had a large living area with tv and a dining area with mini-kitchen and small refrigerator and coffee/tea supplies etc. The bedroom/bath area, separated from the living room by double doors, was lovely with a big, comfortable bed with yummy linens and an electric operated skylight above. (Unfortunately when it poured rain that night, the skylight was very noisy.) There was a center gas fireplace that separated the bed from bath area which was easy to use and put off nice heat on a cold evening. There is a massage table for in-room services, a separate room with a huge jet bathtub, a large walk-in shower, and a separate room for toilet. No complaints whatsoever on the great "cottage". We were on a tight schedule after a late arrival to accommodate my spa treatment, have a quick dinner, and then go off to the Cox Auditorium for a concert, our purpose for being there. The dining room provides healthy meals for its guests on a limited daily menu. The dinner was pricey but healthy and good. Server was very accommodating to get us in and out on time. The breakfast was a fabulous deal with two complimentary tickets offered upon check-in. It included fresh juice and a healthy array of delicious hot breakfast menu items. Highly recommended and made up for the cost of dinner. The big negative for me was the spa experience. I arrived early and was told to shower before my treatment and later read an instruction page that stated it was a disinfectant to avoid passing infections into the treatment rooms. Not very artfully stated to say the least. My therapist was nearly 15 minutes delayed which completely threw off our tight evening schedule and put us well into their own dinner schedule of 6-7 pm. While I was not so patiently waiting in the "quiet room", I witnessed a very unhappy spa customer who was complaining to one of the staff that she was having considerable difficulty scheduling her appointments that came with her package and the staff member was telling her that her treatment was delayed again. One of the other guests asked the staff member to take the "discussion" out of the "quiet room". My therapist finally arrived and I was surprised that he was a male in that I had requested a female. I noticed that both my therapist and another I had seen earlier wore dingy gray golfers and cotton pants and in both cases they were very worn and stained, making an unprofessional and unsanitary impression. And this after we had to be "disinfected". My therapist was respectful and asked for feedback which was appreciated but he was a big guy and our room was pretty tiny and it was crowded and uncomfortable. The linens were skimpy and scratchy and the products did not seem to be of a high quality. Overall, the spa experience was a huge disappointment and overpriced. I doubt we will return to St. George but would consider staying at Green Valley again for the room but would skip the overpriced spa experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Green Valley Spa and Resort? Share your experiences!