“westen style steakhouse with some nice specialties, but...” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Haifa, Israel
“westen style steakhouse with some nice specialties, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

a beatiful country western decor and atmosphere, well balanced menu includes most american standards but not only, they offer trouts and elk. we were 5, had a variety of dishes (not the elk or the trout though...). salads ok, the soup and house bread were very good, the chicken dishes were fine too the problems were: the steaks did not exceed the average, the wine list is limited and the service average. all that combined with average service and prety high prices account for 3 out of 5 in my personal view.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Fairfax, Virginia
“Are you Game?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Greeted immediately...served water..which you desperately need here...and our waitperson was right there. The place is done in beautiful log style clean, simply decorated with animal heads...tasteful. The fireplace is beautifully done in stone and wished it wasn't in the 80s so we could have snuggled up. I ordered elk steak med rare..I could see the chef, they have it opened so you see this great grill area and can see your food cooked.He has been there 15 years and after tasting my steak I see why mess with the best. Melted in your mouth, sides were good not the usual zucchini mix but a good fresh beans combo..very good. Of course we didn't have room for dessert as the meal was to good to not finish. My husband enjoyed elk medallions. The staff so friendly and had a minute to see where you are from and what you have been doing. Didn't feel rushed at all. Would so go back. We missed the Fri. and Sat. Buffalo Ribs..will have to make another trip! Don't miss if you want game..great menu for those that don't care for the exoctics also.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Excellent trout”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

The trout, stuffed with mushroom and crab, was some of the best I've had in a long time. My friend's steak, medium rare & charred in olive oil, was also very flavorful.

Appetizers and soup were mediocre (although the side salad was good - fresh greens) and I'd have preferred a flaky rather than doughy crust on the apple pie -- that the waitress, who was very attentive, warned while talking through the desserts, "Now, just know in advance that this isn't one of those flaky crusts," seemed to indicate that many of their past patrons have had similar thoughts, and begs the question, why don't they try a flaky crust recipe instead?

Atmosphere & cleanliness: Tough to keep a place with a big open grill from gettjng a bit sticky in spots, so I'll give a pass on that, as the everything is generally very clean. I could have managed with a few fewer formerly-live species starinf down from the walls and rafters as I munched on their tasty cousins (and at the risk of having my Utah Residency revoked, I'll note that the vintage photo on the bar of a "rabbit round-up" in SLC seemed to celebrate the sport of killing critters over the practical utility of it), but what did I expect from a place called the Gun Barrel?

I'd eat there again.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fairhope, Alabama
“Western Atmosphere and Good Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

July 2013

We were vacationing in the St George UT area and we decided to eat dinner at the restaurant because it offered wild game/steak. The restaurant was in the delightful Wyoming Style western decor and the food was very good.

My husband had the elk and compared it to previous elk medallions he had loved at other restaurants. The elk at this restaurant was served with a gravy and he didn't care for it as much.

I had the prime rib special and it was wonderful. Cooked properly and very tasty.

The wait staff was distracted and had promised to bring us bread twice but we never saw the bread. However, they gave the table next to us bread several times...we laughed about it and said we probably didn't need it anyway...

The dinners were a little pricey- The elk was 36.00 and the prime rib special was 14.95. They have specials through out the week and I would recommend them as they look to be the best deal around.

Overall good food but not sure I would return if other steak house was nearby.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Very excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

When you walk in there is a welcoming atmosphere. The animals you can eat are displayed onthe walls. They have fantastic service. If you want to go to a restaurant that offers food from all over the world go to the gun barrel.

• Visited July 2013