“Very nice” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Sydney
“Very nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We are driving from Seattle to LA over 5 weeks, & always check TripAdvisor for our accommodations. We came across Best Western Abbey & decided this was for us. We ended up staying an extra night. Efficient, friendly reception, nice pool area, clean comfy rooms & of course the best breakfasts at Best Western.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

847 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
California Central Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Come for the large rooms, comfortable beds, and the quiet; stay for the awesome breakfast. The pool can get crowded when it's hot so be flexible about when you use it. The exercise room and hot tub are clean and usually less busy.
There are good choices of restaurants across the street. However, St. George is not a very walkable city. To cross the street you will either have to J-walk or walk about half a mile or more.

Room Tip: The hotel is very large so you might ask for a room near an elevator.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Alpine, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My last 4 trips I have stayed at 2 different Best Westerns in St George Ut and 1 in Cedar City UT. I would rate all 4 stays as excellent in all categories. There suites are incredible and reasonable. The jetted bathtub and separate shower was a nice surprise. High quality mattress. Great breakfast

Room Tip: Suites are fantastic
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We just stayed at this hotel again and it is our choice hotel for when we visit Tuacahn twice every summer. The rooms are VERY nice, VERY clean, and the beds are oh so comfortable. The staff is always welcoming and ready to meet your needs. The breakfast buffet that is served is one of the best I've ever had. There are a ton of choices in foods, so much that we don't look for breakfast elsewhere. Also, the pool is huge and there is an indoor hot tub and gym. The lobby is also VERY clean and nice looking. This is THE nicest Best Western we've ever stayed in.

Room Tip: We've stayed on the third floor farthest from the lobby and recently just stayed on the 2nd floo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stayed here this past Monday through Wednesday. We checked in and then went swimming. When we got to the pool and hot tub, we saw that the hot tub was only about 3/4 full. When we came back in and everyone finished changing, My wife wiped the floor of the bathroom with the floor towel so no one would slip and fall. The towel was pitch black. Then we noticed the bugs. They were everywhere. Live ones, dead ones, in our room, in the hall, on the stairs. We saw several dead ones on the floor on the stairs for the entire stay! Do they not know how to use a vacuum here? It was disgusting. We called the front desk and insisted they move us which they did. The new room was clean, but did not have a working thermostat. We had to manually adjust it all night long.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel. Try the Best Western Coral Hills Inn & Suites on the other side of tow...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
BestWesternAbbeyMgr, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Abbey Inn, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Scb1970,

Thank you for coming to stay with us at the Best Western Abbey Inn. I apologize for the inconveniences during your stay with us. Please note we did have to drain the pool due to a guest putting soap in it. We were trying to fill it back up as quickly as possible to avoid any guests being angry.
I am sorry about the floor in the bathroom being dirty. There is no excuse why that was not cleaned. I have already spoken to the head of housekeeping and finding out why that was missed. Regarding the ants someone spilled a drink in the hallway and did attract some ants in the hotel. We did spray it and it sounds like we may have missed some while cleaning up.
When you are back in town please let me know so we can help make it up to you.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you again.

Jordan P
Assistant General Manager
Payson, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Abbey Inn has two sections of the hotel...the older section with regular rooms and the newer updated section with the suites. Beware if you stay on the side with the suites. This side has a banquet hall on the first floor. The night we stayed there was a raging 20 year highschool reunion party going on. Bass and loud music raged through the entire hotel. We were on the third floor and our room was shaking with the music pounding in the background. We called down to front desk and they told us the party was to be ending at 11 pm that night. I am shocked that a hotel would allow this kind of activity while guest are trying to rest from long drives. The hotel was indifferent about our complaint. Definitely am done staying at Best Western Abbey Inn. Also another strange coincidence...I have always gotten email to rate hotel after stay... Not this time...they don't care nor want to hear about this inconvenient stay...BEWARE STAYING IN SUITES!! COULD BE LOUD PARTY THE NIGHT YOU STAY.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Ryanrorick,

Thank you for coming to stay with us and sharing your thoughts about your stay. I am sorry the 20th high school reunion didn't allow you to fully enjoy your stay with us. I will make sure to discuss this with our meeting room staff so this doesn't happen again. We do care and appreciate you staying with us.
The Best Western Corporate office sends out all the emails to follow up about guests stays. So please don't feel that we don't want to hear from you. This experience allows us to learn from what happened so that it won't happen again in the future.

When you do come back to town please contact me direct and I hope we can make it up to you.

Jordan P
Assistant General Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed here one night while traveling through to Vegas. I have stayed at the La Quinta I&S which is also high in TA rankings in St. George (#3 at time of this review) and would say that the two or very comparable, so that is what I will focus on in this review, since many may be wondering differences between the two.

Location: This BW is better located if you care about being in St. George itself and pretty easy to find right off the highway, while LQ is on the south outskirts of town. LQ did not seem too hard to find though, and is close to the highway as well. This hotel is very close to multiple places to eat (Dairy Queen, Pizza Hut, Burger King, etc... as well as some local restaurants) and even has a grocery store (Albertson's) and a K-Mart that are within a short walking distance. LQ isn't really close to much of anything (except a gas station).

Pool: We were with our kids at LQ, but traveled as a couple here at BW, but I would say if a pool is important to you, BW is far superior. LQ pool is quite small, and felt much more like a local small apartment pool than a hotel pool. BW workout facilities are also a little nicer.

Breakfast: I was a little disappointed at the breakfast here, considering the rave reviews on TA about it. It is an average breakfast that you would expect at most places in this hotel category that included eggs, bacon, potatoes, oatmeal, and beef fritters with gravy on the hot side, with the make-it-yourself waffles and small bread and fruit/yogurt bar. Bread/muffin section pretty limited compared to LQ, but hot items slightly better here at BW. Both had a few cold cereals to choose from. LQ, overall, might have been a little better in this regard, but basically it was sixes between these two for breakfast.

Rooms: both hotels have large spacious rooms. LQ has mostly suites, as far as I know, and was very spacious and a little better price than BW. Both rooms were clean and nicely furnished. BW had a slightly bigger flat screen TV. Bathrooms were nice in both and felt well taken care of. Showers in both had good pressure and curved shower rods so they were spacious. AC worked well in both, but was a little noisy as is common in these type of hotels. Beds for both were typical, clean, mostly comfortable 3-star hotel beds.

Service: both hotels had friendly, courteous, approachable staff. I had requested "the quietest room possible" on my reservation, and although we were put in a room directly above the pool, it was on the third floor and we didn't notice the noise (especially with the AC running). We were given a choice between the 2nd and the 3rd floors at check-in though, so it makes me wonder if they even saw my request at all, and if we had chosen the 2nd floor option if it would have been worse. I personally like it when the person at check-in acknowledges your requests during check-in, even though they might not be able to accommodate it, such as "Good evening Mr. So and So. I see you have requested "the quietest room possible" nd although we only have a few rooms available, I think we have found a couple options that would work for that request" and so on. I worked for a little at a Marriott Courtyard when I was younger and I did this with requests and it always seemed to be appreciated. Not ultra-important though.

Overall stay: very pleased with my stay here at BW plus Abbey Inn. We paid around $110 with tax and felt it was a good deal for what you get. Probably would stay here again, but might stay at the La Quinta I&S before staying here, as it is a slightly better price than here and they don't charge extra for a king bed (we reserved a double queen bed room because it was $10 less than one king bed room). If we had our kids with us though, we would stay here because of how much nicer the pool and hot tub were compared to LQ.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
BestWesternAbbeyMgr, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Abbey Inn, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Matt C,

Thank you for coming to stay with us while passing through to Las Vegas! We appreciate you taking the time in sharing the highlights about staying at our hotel. Many future guests will be glad to know the great reasons to stay with us. The only thing I should add is the rates do depend on when you are coming to stay... (Holiday weekends, or special events.) Please check out our Facebook, twitter pages for discounts and year round specials. AAA Member, AARP, Seniors, and do groups receive year round discounts!

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Abbey Inn? Share your experiences!