“A true, old fashioned style mom and pop motel” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Motel   |   664 East St. George Blvd, St. George, UT 84770   |
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in St. George
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuenca, Ecuador
“A true, old fashioned style mom and pop motel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

The Chalet is family owned and operated. It is a true mom-and-pop style motel that hearkens back to the 1950's, and is architecturally from that era by appearances. As such, it has only around 20 rooms, no pool, and no other amenities such as a guest washer and dryer like one might find at other similarly priced motels. As expected, the motel is located in the older part of St. George - far enough from Interstate 15 so as to not be obvious to the casual seeker of lodging, but yet on the main drag of St. George Blvd. It's down the hill a bit from where the Blvd. is level past the McDonald's. If it's quiet you are seeking, you've found the right motel.

The rooms have been updated with very nice furniture, which is very high grade in quality - a plus. Towels were plush, and not like typical towels like most other places we've stayed at on our trip. Our room also had a microwave and refrigerator, both functioning and already plugged in. The plumbing controls and functions operated flawlessly.

This being Mormon country, there is no coffee in the front desk area, nor any coffeemakers in the room. Surprisingly, there were also no copies of the Book of Mormon in the room either, and no Gideon Bible. Must have been getting some Southern California influences or something. . .

We didn't appreciate the overly high table and the one high chair that went with it. Too high for my wife to use (she is on the petite side) and I found it not to be terribly comfortable to use as well. My wife also complained that the mattress seemed to not give her proper back support. I thought the bed's mattress was fine, though my wife thinks the mattress was in need of replacement. On the other hand, this bed actually had decorative accountrements like we have at home - the only motel we found on this trip that did. A nice touch.

I found that the bathroom fixtures at the upper levels were in need of a mild dusting, but no biggie. Be careful not to place the television remote on top of the television. . . if you push it back, it gets lodged in the area behind the television, which is a heavy older style tube unit - not a flat screen television that would alleviate this problem from happening. We couldn't hear any of the other guests through the walls or floors. . . a plus.

The "mom" of this motel couple served as the desk clerk during our stay, and though she was competent in her duties, she appeared to me to be on the scatterbrained side and not entirely, shall I say, "with it." Allow five to ten extra minutes for checking in if she is desk clerking.

Note also: Friday and Saturday nights have a higher rate than the weekday nights.

Room Tip: Telephone the motel in advance
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Sandy, Utah, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

Well located, not expensive, clean. I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
skylaw22, Owner at Chalet Motel, responded to this review, March 29, 2011
Thanks! We're glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again.
La Mirada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

Don't let the view from the outside and the busy street location fool you. Extremely roomy and well appointed rooms for a motor lodge like this Nice kitchen area with full-size refrigerator, microwave, sink, countertop, and cupboards with kitchen table seating. Good size bathroom with upgraded features for what you would expect from a motor lodge. Very clean. Comfy bed. Quiet considering it is off the main street. Price is right and very friendly and welcoming management. Close (a few blocks walking distance) to bus pick up and finish line for marathon.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Provo, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

My wife and I stopped through St George and happened to find this motel. We stayed on a Monday night and the total price for our room was $36 and some change - cheaper than motel 6 or any other cheap motels. Keep in mind however that the rates change from Mon-Thurs to Fri-Sun. We could not believe the quality of the room. The room had a hard wood bed frame and backboard, leather coach, a full size fridge, stove, mounted microwave, counter top, and all the fixtures for the bathroom and kitchen where practically new. We have never stayed at a nicer motel and this was still one of the cheapest motels we have ever stayed at. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

This is by far the best motel I have ever been to. The rooms are super clean and elegant, the managers are so friendly (and not from India), and the price is super low for the quality. Location is also great. I will be back whenever I'm in the area.

• Stayed September 2010
TUCSON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

My top priority is cleanliness and this motel is grade A. Ignore the 2006 review from the dissatisifed customer, my room was spic and span as was my colleagues. The rooms are immaculate and well furnished, several steps above comparably priced motels. The rooms are quiet despite being on the main drag and I couldn't hear my neighbors and that's a huge bonus. Location is central to St. George. Make the U-turn, you won't be sorry.

The bed is comfortable. The rooms appear to be recently remodeled. My room had a stove, microwave, a fridge half the size of a regular fridge, that included a large freezer, so you could actually put a weeks worth of groceries in it. If you're out on an extended stay and don't want to spend all your vacation money on rooms, check into the Chalet, you won't be sorry.

I spend more time in motels than at my home, so believe me when I tell you, the Chalet is tops for the money. If I was vacationing in the St. George area, I would stay at the Chalet.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

The neon sign in front of the Chalet Motel says "worth the U-turn," but at first glance my friends and I weren't sure. It looked old and unappealing. We were coming for the St. George marathon and had booked the Chalet on the advice of another friend who had stayed there before. All we needed was a clean, comfortable room for one night.

When we checked in, we were greeted by owner Alicia and two of her children. They had prepared a packet of information for all the runners staying that night. Alicia kindly directed us to a nearby market and restaurants. Our room, while nothing fancy, had clearly received some recent TLC including new granite countertops, nice fixtures, a high table with stools, a refrigerator with small freezer, and a microwave.

After the marathon, as we were preparing to leave, Alicia saw me struggling to carry my bag down the stairs as my legs were very sore. She helped me with my bag and offered to help my friends as well. She then told us how she has owned the Chalet for two years and is working hard to improve its reputation. This review is our thank-you to Alicia for her warm hospitality and our assistance in helping the Chalet earn the reputation it deserves. There are many average chain motels in St. George, but if you want something owned and operated by a nice local family, stay at the Chalet.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Chalet Motel? Share your experiences!