“Excellent value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Sands Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   581 E Saint George Blvd, St. George, UT   |
Ranked #41 of 42 Hotels in St. George
Sedgefield
“Excellent value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed there for one night during August 2013. The rooms are very clean and the linen is crisp and fresh. Beds are very comfortable. There is enough pillows. There is a pool and an excellent breakfast included for under $30 a night during the week. I can highly recommend this motel. The a/c is not blowing over the beds.

Room Tip: Any room according to your needs.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Home
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

DO NOT stay here and if you do... do not use the pool. A child threw up Friday in and on the side of the pool and today (Sept 23. 2012... three days later) it is still there. The rooms stink, the beds are uncomfortable, there was black mold all over in the bathroom, the front desk was not helpful. This place is HORRIBLE.. BUYER BEWARE

Room Tip: RUUUN. I wish I would have stayed next door at the Coronada.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

My friend and I stayed at this motel as we were passing through St George on our way to Zion. For $30 (so $15 each) it was a good value, plus we got the free breakfast. Everything was basic, but again, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Carefree
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

In my exhaustion, thinking I would save some money since I was only sleeping for a few hours, I made the grave MISTAKE of stopping at the Sands Motel in St. George on a very brief business overnight. Upon reserving a room, I couldn't find my business credit card, so I just paid cash, BEFORE I checked the room. TRAVEL TIP: DON'T EVER pay before doing a BED BUG and mattress CHECK!!!! After arriving in this TOTAL DUMP of a room, I still had the presence of mind to check the room and of course, I found BED BUGS! The mattress was so stained and filthy that the UTAH Health Dept. needs to DO THEIR JOB and PROTECT the PUBLIC by condemning dirty dumps like this one!!!!! I was so tired and disgusted I got out of there as quickly as possible. It was late, and no one responded when I went back to the office. I was so upset that I just left and drove all night to my next destination, which with NO SLEEP, was extremely DANGEROUS! I wrote to the Sands Motel to request a refund, but have not heard back from them - big SURPRISE!!!! Thank GOD I didn't unpack my suitcase and potentially have to destroy all of my belongings b/c of BED BUG INFESTATION!!!! Stay as far away from this foreign owned filthy dump on St. George Blvd!!!!!

Room Tip: BEWARE!!!! STAY AWAY!!!! BED BUGS & the filthiest room I have ever seen in 50 years of travel...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Mesquite, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

From the moment my money was in their hands the people at the front dest were rude or maybe they were missing that sensor in the brain that gives a person a feeling of being welcomed. It was a man and woman team work at the front desk that pointed out what I am not allowed to do or I will be fined. One of the rules were that since I am a single woman then I am NOT ALLOWED to have any one else in my room.. this comment gave me a feeling of disgust as if I was seen as a lady of the evening and that my rights as an american with freedom were not valued, I have friends in the city and it was uncomfotable having them visit in fear of being seen as a wild woman ,dealer or being fined. The boulevard was very loud, cars driving by all night . The tub had chips in it so I was unable to relax in the tub because the peices floated in the water and on my last night I was kept awake by 4 police officers standing outside of my window talking to a man about his domestic abuse and weapons that were on his body. I go to St George 3 days a weed to do volenteer work for the disabled and needless to say I will not return to the Sands Motel, I will be much more picky about where I choose to stay next week. Maybe if my trip began with the front desk couple saying "welcome we hope you enjoy your stay" or simply smileing and treating me as a guest would have helped me to overlook the flaws but unfortunatly not everyone has the ability to show professional kindness and give a others a feeling of respect .

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

Not the nicest looking place from the outside but it offered a kitchenette. No pots, pans or cuttelry was provided though.

We turned the ovan on and could smell smoke straight away. Smoke became overwhelming and set the fire alarm off so we could not cook. We had to sit in our room with the door open to get the smoke out - not nice as there was alot of creepy looking people hanging around the motel.

The internet was very slow and cut out all the time. And the decor of the room was terrible. Really needs a "spruce up".

We didnt shower because the bathroom looked filthy but were only given one towl anyway. I have generally stayed in squats nicer than this place - stay well away!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

The guy at the desk was really great to work with. The room, however, wasn't so pleasant. They put us up in the nearby Economy Inn, but we dealt the whole time with the management at Sands.

There was a lot of mold under the sink, as well as a bunch of earwigs. That wasn't very surprising because there was a lot of food and food crumbs left in the drawers. On top of the pantry, apparently to keep the bug problem down, they had thrown and left a lot of white powdered insecticide. That didn't bode well with a young couple expecting their first child. At midnight, and at 1:00 AM (they're punctual little beasts) cockroaches in the walls would crawl into the smoke alarm and set it off. They looked to me like the American breed.

After the first time, I demanded (and was denied) a full refund. After the second time, I took a number of incriminating photos and we left for good. We couldn't find a room, and had to drive 45 minutes back home to Cedar City, and then back to St. George.

I disputed the charge on my credit card after 2 visits and 6 unanswered phone calls to the General Manager failed to secure for me a refund.

Room Tip: easy. Go somewhere else. Definitely don't stay in 201.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sands Motel? Share your experiences!