“I thought the Fairfield Inn across the street was alright until I stayed here.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn St. George

Ranked #15 of 42 Hotels in St. George
GreenLeadersBronze level
Murray, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Checked in at 12:30pm on May 17th. The young blond was very nice and I was amazed when she said the room was ready, but hadn't been inspected yet. Well, the amazing part was that without any prompting on my part, she excused herself and said she'd run down the hall and inspect it so I could check in right away. I've never had anyone do that before and I appreciated being able to freshen up before my afternoon meeting at the convention center which is literally right next door.

Anyhow, the lobby is large, bright and beautiful. Looks out onto the pool which is fairly large with lots of space around it. Relatively large workout room with good equipment.

Room was larger than average, very quiet, very little hallway door closing noise, great air conditioner, fridge, microwave, excellent iron and board. Usually hotel irons seem to be crappy, but not here.

Spacious bath, nice shower despite the water saving shower head, very nice thick towels.

My room was at the north end of the hotel and I guess the housekeeper must have started at that end, because the room was immaculately made up and cleaned by 09:45.

The breakfast was included I assume because of my Hilton gold rewards and was excellent and the people were extremely friendly and helpful. Lots of tables in the eating / lounge area. Couldn't have been better. Not sure if breakfast is always included, because it was my first stay at a Garden Inn. I'm only Gold for a year, because of the credit card.

Bed was very comfortable as were the pillows.

I can't even think of anything anyone would even complain about at this place except I wish they had beer and wine for sale in their little pantry store area. I plan to stay there again whenever I'm in St. George.

PS. I really like the Hilton online checkin feature that allows you to choose your room before you arrive. I didn't actually think I'd get the room I picked, but sure enough, I did.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Curtis_Dyer, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn St. George, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Great news to see that we had you checked in early during your visit to St. George. As a gold member you do received 2 breakfast coupons complimentary for each day that you stay with us for our wonderful breakfast with many made to order items. Our rooms are spacious and do provide a mini fridge and microwave in each of them. We are next door to the convention center which makes it nice for guests to be able to walk right over to their function and return quickly once it is over. We hope to see you again and really do appreciate your business! Have a great Summer!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

We pricelined a room for a 1 night stay for a reasonable price and were very happy with the hotel. It's in a great spot, close to the 15, very clean, and check in was the fastest I've ever experienced. I would stay here again for sure. We didn't eat at the restaurant, so I'm not sure on the room, but room 409 was really big and spacious.

• Stayed May 2012
Curtis_Dyer, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn St. George, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
Great to see that the front desk took care of you quickly and efficiently. We are located right off of the freeway and have large spacious rooms. Our restaurant in the morning is an all you can eat buffett for $9.95 per person and has everything apart from the kitchen sink to eat and get you going for the day. We look forward to your next stay and hope that you visit us again sooner than later! Have a great 2012!
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Quite clean room with free internet. Felt like a new hotel.
Small Fitness room had all the pool traffic through it.
no free breakfast
Free shuttle to airport (although I had to wit 15 inutes even though I had it reserved)
Do not eat in bar, inedible
Very nice large outdoor pool with big pool deck with lots of lounge chairs and tables
Great park with paved paths for walking and running 1/2 block from hotel wit beautiful views

Room Tip: Not sure there are bad rooms
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Curtis_Dyer, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn St. George, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Great to see that you enjoyed your time in St. George here at the Hilton Garden Inn Hotel. Our property is almost 7 years old but we keep it clean and new for all of our great guest. The restaurant does charge for breakfast in the morning which is an all you can eat buffet with made to order items. Hope to see you again on your next visit to Southern Utah.
Salt Lake City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I am a Hilton Diamond Member and I have booked this hotel on previous stays with no issues.

The incident happened last September while we (my family) were staying over the weekend in Saint George. I exited the stairwell exit to the rear of the building at around ten o'clock at night. I was still in the shadows so the night maintenance man did not see me as he approached my pickup truck, which was parked directly across from the rear of the building. Curious to what he was doing, I stood still in the shadows and watched as he looked into the windows and checked the door handles. He then looked over his shoulder and then shook the hard plastic cargo bin in the rear bed of the truck, before prying up the corner with his hand and sticking his arm in to his elbow.

I called out to him and he immediately removed his arm and walked away from the truck as if he was just passing by, except he was walking away into an empty lot. He then turned around and I told him to approach. After a fruitless discussion where I learned only his name, confirmed by his name tag, and that he denied having his hands on my property, he darted past me into the employee entrance of the hotel.

I followed him and approached the night auditor at the front desk. Apparently the employee told on himself and fabricated a story ( one of 3 different ones I am later told of). The night auditor gave me an apology and stated that they took burglary very seriously and I would be contacted by management in the morning. Perplexed, I asked if they were going to have the police involved or if the employee in question would be terminated. He said they would handle it appropriately and that the manager would be calling me in the morning.

The manager never did call me in the morning and only the kitchen manager was on duty the next day. I approached him and inquired on what happened. He stated there was a small note left by the night auditor, and he apologized again that it was not handled like I was told. He said to email him a written statement (which I had already prepared) and they would bring in the employee for questioning. I would receive a call by the afternoon.

I never did receive the call, and speaking with the manager in the afternoon he stated that he looked over the videos but none of the cameras faced the parking lot. Furthermore he said that the General Manager over the hotel was on vacation and would not be back fro 3 weeks (Which made me wonder what kind of vacation, or maybe he was on tour with a band). But he did speak with the General Manager and was told that since there was no 'Evidence' of a break in that they would not do anything. It was my word against his. This is also when I was told that the employee in question's story was that he never had his hands anywhere near my truck and that he was just looking at it. It was the angle I was at that made it appear he was tampering with my vehicle.

I was livid, and as this rolled into the afternoon the afternoon desk manager took over. My wife asked for more pool towels and the front desk manager said that the employee in question would bring them out to her. Given the circumstances, I approached the front desk manager and asked that I be given the towels instead since I did not feel comfortable having this man around my family. He replied that he couldn't do that. So I told him then to find someone else who could. He said he didn't have anyone, so then I told him that he bring them out. The manager rolled his eyes and said he'd get to it. He did bring out the towels about 30 minutes later after I watched him and the employee in question have a chat at the front desk and both chuckle while staring at my family in the pool area.

The next morning I inquired once more if anything was going to be done. Again, I was being placated and was told with apologies that it was my word against his. A asked what his word was and was told that "He had asked me permission to look at my truck and I granted permission." I then inexplicably flipped out when he began checking the door handles to look inside. I asked if they actually believed this story and they refused to answer. I told him I was going to do what I should have done in the first place and call the police. I was told "You're more than welcome to do that."

We checked out of the hotel and I did call the police on the way home to Salt Lake City. Surprisingly they actually dispatched an officer who drove over to this property and began to ask questions and demand answers. He actually spoke to the employee in question and according the officer, he stated that the employee started into his third story where it was another misunderstanding and he was just looking at my trucks toolbox. After setting the tone, the officer told him we all knew what really happened and the employee fessed up and stated yes, he did clear the cargo netting out of the way and began to explore the box with his hands.

I was thinking this would be the nail in his coffin, but since a couple of days had lapsed the officer really couldn't do anything about it either. Surely though management would take the word of the officer seriously right?

The officer told me that the general manager would be back from vacation the next day (Not 3 weeks) and would be taking care of it. I was thinking we were now headed in the right direction.

Wrong, I contacted corporate that same day and gave them the police report number. They said they would look into it and contact me immediately. I received an email from the assistant general manager the next morning of this hotel stating "Thank you for the report... We will be conducting our own investigation..."

I did not hear back from corporate so four months later I emailed them again.

The response was the case file was closed and they had spoke with the general manager who said he had contacted me via email and called my home on numerous occasions to apologize and I never returned his emails or phone calls. This is a flat out lie, since they have all my numbers on file and my email address as well. I never got one email from anybody at that hotel after the initial email thanking me for my report. They also stated that they were told the police did show up but did nothing and came to the opinion that nothing happened because there was no evidence and then left. Corporate stated in so many words that there was nothing they could do and that my complaint was once again being forwarded to the General Manager.

It is now April, and I have still not heard anything from the General Manager. So my conclusion is this, they will go to any lengths to protect their own including lying to corporate about how they handled this. Furthermore I feel like I was being placated and hopefully get frustrated and leave. I was never offered any explanation why corporate didn't look into it further and basically feel as though I'm being called a liar.

So for anyone else who might be thinking of staying here, beware. I would like to reiterate once more I have stayed here on two previous occasions prior to the night in question and have not once complained or had anything to complain about. But that all changed last September.

Room Tip: Don't leave any valuables in your vehicle
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest-
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. The safety and security of our guests is foremost in our minds, and I’m sorry your stay at our hotel didn’t meet your standards. We are continuously reviewing measures to increase safety and security, and look forward to your return to the hotel so we may demonstrate what security measures we have in place. We will continue to work to make your security and safety a priority at the hotel.
Denver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

The main reason for not rating this HGI higher was that the room was not as clean as I expected. There was hair in the tub and bed linens, as well as some debris around the trash. It also had an unusual smell, not unpleasant, but like a perfume, or cleaning solution. It makes me wonder if someone had smoked in the room against policy, and they had to clean it? Also, the carpets appeared soiled and older. I suspect this was more of an anomaly than the norm based on other reviews.

I travel frequently for business and have a certain expectation for the HGI experience, this one did not justify the increased cost of the room. It was more what I would expect from a $70 a night budget hotel.

Lobby area was nice and beds were adjustable and comfortable, as expected. Internet was available and worked well.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
sgugi, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn St. George, responded to this review, April 8, 2012
Thanks for your review of our hotel. We always welcome helpful comments and we it is our goal to give 100% in all areas of cleanliness and service. We will take your comments to heart and use them as a training tool with our staff. We will look forward to seeing you again. Thanks!
san diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Adjacent to the Convention Center. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff is very nice and accomodating. Restaurant serves a nice breakfast.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for your great review! We always strive to give our best in service and keep our hotel clean. We look forward to seeing you and your family again.
Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

The rooms are immaculate and the location is great. The staff is friendly and the service is excellent. This is one of the cleanest hotels to stay in the St. George area and offers great ammenities. The business office is excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not have highway noise.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Curtis_Dyer, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn St. George, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Great to see that your overall experience here at our property was great. Our rooms are clean, staff is friendly, and the service is excellent. Our business center was updated earlier this year and functions great for the needs of our guests. We hope that you have a great warm summer and that we see you again here at our property.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn St. George? Share your experiences!