“Very, Very Nice” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Painted Pony is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 212 Restaurants in St. George
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary, Healthy
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Main Street & St. George Blvd.
Provo, Utah
“Very, Very Nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

A couple of years ago I ate at the Painted Pony and it was pretty good. Not great, but OK. Then, my wife and I had dinner there tonight and it was really great. Everything was delicious. The service was very good. Perhaps there is a new owner or chef... I don’t know. But we really enjoyed it. The coconut shrimp with mango chili sauce and asian cabbage slaw was great. I also had the carrot soup with jalapeño which is their signature soup. Enjoyed the items shown in the two photos I uploaded too—splitting the desert with my wife. You’ll enjoy it.

• Visited July 2013

Greenville, South Carolina
“Hits & Misses”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

First, there was no direct tie-in with the Blood, Sweat & Tears hit, “Spinning Wheel,” which was a little off-putting – but seriously:
I found lots of recommendations for this hard-to-find dining spot located in Ancestor’s Square, and there is a lot to like: good service, very nice ambience, and a creative menu. But the quality of the dishes was a bit uneven. Some things were great - (salads, dessert, sides,) and some things didn't measure up to the bar set by the service and atmosphere - (quail appetizer, pork chop entree, shrimp entree.) I wish there were a "Good" rating - because the server and atmosphere make this spot "above average." I imagine that with different entree selections, my rating would jump significantly - but that's how the spinning wheel spins.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Excellent Choice!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Our party of 8 was pleasantly surprised by this gem of a restaurant in St. George. Each time we visit St. George, we are very disappointed by the lack of decent restaurants, and if the Painted Pony's prices were more affordable, we'd eat here every time. This is definitely a 'special occasion' restaurant.

For appetizers, we enjoyed the phyllo baked brie, coconut shrimp (ordered one but received two) and mussels.

Our entrees consisted of the grilled ribeye, ravioli, and rack of New Zealand lamb, among others. All were very tasty and well presented. The beet salad was also very enjoyable. The wine list was impressive and the younger folk enjoyed Shirley Temples. We also appreciated our waitress letting us know about kid friendly entrees at kid friendly prices.

We were too full for dessert and by that time, our waitress was very busy with other tables and it took us 45 minutes to settle up the check. Other than the poor service and the very end of our meal and a slight miscommunication about splitting the check, it was a nice treat and we would highly recommend the Painted Pony.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
istanbul
“Best Food in St. George”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Why do I like this place?! Let me list the ways:
-- Good food, many with a southwest bent. Portions are not overwhelmingly large. Steak was cooked perfectly. They were able to leave off something I am allergic to...
-- Great wine list.
-- Gracious service that is not too invasive.
-- Patio is lovely.

I am always looking for local, small non-chain restaurants and this one is good. A real bright spot in the otherwise dull St George food scene.

• Visited September 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Very good food but pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Fairly good choice of food but not exceptional, and good and elegant preparation, also not exceptional. I am uncertain if it was worth the fairly stiff price. Perhaps.

Visited July 2013