“Great time here!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Quicksand and Cactus Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. George
Quicksand and Cactus Bed & Breakfast
You added Quicksand and Cactus Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
346 N. Main St, St. George, UT 84770   |
Ranked #2 of 9 St. George B&B and Inns
Edmonton, Canada
“Great time here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I stayed ten nights at this B&B. Yes...ten wonderful days, and I will return.
During my visit, a book from Carla's library called 'Quicksand and Cactus' was borrowed. Since I failed to finish reading this book, this gives me another reason to return.
My favourite time always happened in the early morning. I would walk the stone pathway to the main house and Carla always had a wonderful cup of coffee ready for me. But Carla's morning smile was the best part. Oh yes...I will return to this wonderful experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Anaheim Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I needed a place to stay in St. George that was quiet and comfortable and I found that and more here! Quicksand & Cactus B&B sits back off the main highway in a quiet neighborhood within walking distance of the St George Art Museum, Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum, Brigham Young winter home historical site, Pioneer Park, fabulous restaurants and much more - but without the traffic noise! Even the neighbors walking in the evening were pleasant, greeting us like old friends. Owner and host Carla is delightful! She is warm and accommodating, has created a comfortable environment to live and sleep in, and fixes scrumptious breakfasts to fuel us for the day. I felt like family from the moment I walked in and saw her extend that same gracious demeanor with everyone who entered the door. It's my go-to place from now on! Thanks Carla!

Room Tip: My stay was in Bedroom 1 but all the rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were looking for a place to stay while we went to see some plays at Tuacahn with our grandson. Our favorite type of accomodation is a bed & breakfast whenever possible, so I went online & discovered the Quicksand & Cactus Bed & Breakfast right in the heart of St. George.

We arrived on Friday afternoon to find a very pleasant older home that had been beautifully renovated. Our host Carla Fox welcomed us with a big smile & made us feel right at home. It was a very comfortable room with an adjoining room for our grandson. We thoroughly enjoyed staying there & can I just say that our breakfasts were absolutely phenomenal!! Carla outdid herself in the kitchen & when a 12 year old raves about the food...you know it's terrific!!

Carla has created a beatiful retreat that is small & intimate, but close to everything of interest in the area. Tuacahn was only about a 15 minute drive away & I might add the plays were just outstanding! Another plus was that the rates were very reasonable & even if there were no breakfast included it would have been a great deal. However, adding in the delicious food was just like yummy frosting on a very attractive cake. Kudos to you Carla for a wonderful experience...we will be back!!

Room Tip: This is a small bed & breakfast so not a lot of rooms available...don't wait until the last...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

What a fabulous Bed & Breakfast! My husband and I had a wonderful stay in this beautiful historic home. It's so comfortable and cozy that we felt right at home. Carla is an incredibly gracious and thoughtful hostess. Her gourmet breakfast is positively delicious. Great location, within walking distance of St. George's downtown attractions. Rates are unbelievably reasonable. The home has a fascinating history and beautiful gardens. We really enjoyed our stay & will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ellicott City, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I was attracted to Quicksand and Cactus B&B because it was the former home of well-known Utah author Juanita Brooks. My husband and I fell in love with the place because of the warm, friendly demeanor of Carla, our host, her delicious breakfasts, and the beautifully-decorated home. We stayed in the room that had served as the original home, and it is located just off to the side of the main living area. Carla has lots of books and information about Utah history in her home, and the entire house is decorated with Victorian era pictures, decorations, etc. Her breakfasts were delicious, and when she found out we (and several other guests) were "foodies", she tried out a couple of new recipes on us! We stayed there several days, using St George as our home port while exploring Zion, the Mountain Meadows Massacre site, and the Hildale/Colorado City area made famous by Warren Jeffs and his FLDS followers.

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool, but when I tried to correct my mistake (I was giving the place all positi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We were in town for the St. George marathon in early October 2012. We were late in the game at setting up our lodging for the race. All of the chain hotels were full by the time we started looking. We stumbled across this nice little B&B. The location was just blocks from the finish line, the price was HALF of what we would have paid for a hotel, and the breakfast was amazing!

We stayed in Bedroom #2. It is the smallest of the 3 rooms available at the location, but it worked well for the two of us. Private entrance, private bathroom. Bed was pretty good. There was a nice TV in the room, but we never bothered to turn it on.

Breakfast on Sunday morning after the race was amazing! Carla, the owner, fixed us crepes stuffed with scrambled eggs and fresh asparagus and covered in cheese and a yummy sauce. Then she brought out some ham steaks, fresh sliced oranges and yogurt, and a warm chocolate muffin. Fresh coffee and orange juice finished off delicious breakfast. All the other guests had run the race the day before so it was fun to chat about our marathon experiences.

What a fun gem to discover in St. George and at an amazing price!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

My husband and I live in Las Vegas, and we wanted to take a trip for our anniversary. We didn't want to travel super far, but still wanted it to be special. We chose the Quicksand and Cactus in St. George because it was small, quiet, and had great reviews. It's prices also beat out the other B&B's in the area, and since we were on a budget, this was a consideration.

Carla was a very kind and accommodating host. Her breakfasts were huge and beautiful both mornings, with fresh fruit, waffles or french toast, an egg quiche, and meat. It was such a treat for us, and even my husband couldn't eat it all! :) We stayed in Room #1, which is part of the original brick house. The bed was comfortable and the room was decorated with all kinds of neat antiques. There was also a flat screen tv with lots of channels. The bathroom was spacious and also very cute. There is only a free-standing tub (no shower), but it had a flexible shower nozzle attachment for rinsing off.

The B&B was definitely very quiet, and it was in a very convenient location. Being on Main Street, we spent our first evening walking around and exploring all the unique shops, restaurants, and art that downtown St. George has to offer.

This was our first time in a bed and breakfast, and we had a very pleasant stay. I would stay at the Quicksand and Cactus again, and definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't forget the change of time zone! We forgot that Utah was an hour later and ended up arrivin...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Quicksand and Cactus Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!