“Pretty good - DQ blizzard's are better” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Dessert, Sandwiches
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Vancouver
“Pretty good - DQ blizzard's are better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

I love ice cream et al, so I tried this place and had a cherry/almond mixed frozen custard. It was fine - big pieces of almonds in it, not as much cherry flaour as I'd hoped for. It was pretty pricey too - around $5. There menu is a bit confusing but they do a good job of explaining it. I would try them again and try another flavour combo, but my first reaction is that Dairy Queen's Blizzards are better.

Visited June 2011

Intervale, NH
“It's a good thing I don't live nearby”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

Go for the frozen custard. It's delicious really rich tasting not like soft serve ice milk. They also serve hoagies and for the price not bad but it's all about the custard. The concrete shakes really give the employees a workout to make, they must all have pretty strong arm muscles!
I went twice while visiting St. George and it's a good thing I don't live there or I would be big as a house in no time ;-)

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
So. AZ
“Tasty cool treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

Very nice custard for a reasonable price. The staff was very polite and helpful.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Colorado
“Much better than pain old ice cream!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2009

Fantastic! A "fifty's" kind of place with terrific frozen custard.

New York City and LA
“Best Custard and Fabulous Grinders...Run Don't Walk to Nielsen's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

We were about to give up on any decent food of any kind in St. George and then we found Nielsen's...the frozen custard is made right there and you can see it come oozing deliciously out of the custard machine , so you know it is fresh! I had a scoop of vanilla frozen custard with caramel and strawberries, they were the frozen kind in a syrup, and it was divine, absolutely fantastic and smooth, better than most expensive ice creams.The caramel was fabulous and tasted fresh not chemically. We also had a couple of grinders to take on our drive back to Vegas and they too were fantastic, warm home-made bread and tasty roast beef, in fact the beef had more flavour than anything else we ate in St. George. It also was the cleanest fast food place I have ever been in, it was pristine.This lovely little dairy shop puts the glutinous messes of Coldstone Creamery to shame. Do yourself a favour and have a taste treat at Nielsen's. I was suprised to learn this a a chain , it feels like a one-off local dairy...so good for them and thank-you Nielsen's for giving us a great food experience in the land of the bland that is St. George!