“Happy with Wingate” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in St. George
Santa Barbara, CA
“Happy with Wingate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

This is the third time we've stayed at the Wingate in St. George and it has been consistantly good every time. Rooms are always clean, comfortable with nice ammenities.

We have only had good service from the staff and I appreciated that the desk person had actually read and followed up on the special request I had made in advance (definitely not the case for stays at some other hotels). Also someone immediately fixed the Internet connection in the Business Center when I mentioned it was down.

Breakfast, as mentioned before, is the standard hotel fare: waffles, cereal, eggs, sausage, coffee--all just OK. Food was quickly restocked when it ran low.

Some people seem dissappointed with the pool but having used it for the first time this trip, I thought it was very pleasant, clean and just the right size for my 5-year old (a lap pool this is not).

We will definitely stay here again the next time we pass through St. George.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4356739608, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham St. George, responded to this review, July 20, 2011
Thank you so much for your comments and for your repeat business! It is our hope and goal that once people try our hotel they will want to come back again. We are so happy you enjoy our hotel and hope to see you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Wheeling, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

The Wingate had a great rate (one of the best I could find online) and it seemed nice from the website (3 nights, 30% discount prepaid rate).
I was not disappointed.
The hotel is clean with some luxury touches including stonework on the floors, granite in the bathroom, and clean colored hues. The beds are very comfortable and the television is modern. The hotel is also very quiet -- it sits off a freeway interchange, but in a grove of trees in a pleasant strip mall area (a WalMart is within walking distance).
I'm not sure of what all the fuss was about in previous reviews about the pool and service. Front desk staff is friendly -- and the pool is in a very nice location allowing for some shade in the afternoon when temps climbed well into the 100s.
the breakfast is very good (especially the waffles) and a friendly lady keeps everything clean, organized and stocked. The free internet works great and the fitness center is sufficient.
So, all in all, if you are looking for a good value and the best for your money in St George stay at the Wingate. I don't know why the LaQuinta ranks #1 in St George (before Wingate), it sits behind a Pilot gas station along the freeway. The Wingate is the best option in St George (unless you can afford the Inn at Entrada). Stay there!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4356739608, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham St. George, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
Thank you so much for the time you took to share your thoughts. We appreciate your kind comments. The staff and I are so happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. We love to hear that you enjoyed the accomodations and breakfast, and we are especially happy to hear that you enjoyed the service. We feel that we truly do have the best value for your money when it comes to hotels in St. George. We are working very hard to make sure that every guest's stay is great. Please come and see us again next time you are in the area.

Salt Lake
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

OK, for the positives:
THe hotel is very nice & clean. The staff are very friendly and helpful. We have 3 little girls under 5 yrs old and the room with 2 queens was spacious, nice set up. The work out room is 24 hrs and is small but was never crowded (treadmill, eliptical, bike, free weights & one of those big machines you can work any part of your body with!)
The location is good. WalMart is across the street in case you need anything you forgot or snacks for the trip! There are a few restaurants on that exit but really St. George is not very big. YOu can get anywhere in 10-15 minutes so not a problem. The gas station next door also has the best price in town that I saw.
It's really everything to expect from a nice, affordable hotel.
So, why wouldn't I stay there again...
We came for some sunshine and the pool is situated in a way that after about 3pm there is no sun at the pool. Not that it's really cold since the weather is warm, but everything is shaded. For me, that wasn't ideal. The front desk has "pool towels". THey are a little bigger than hand towels, not as big as a regular bath towel. Luckily we had friends staying at a condo and spent all weekend at their pool and bought some towels at WalMart.
Breakfast - I"m not a fanatic, but I like a healthy breakfast. They have the COOLEST waffle maker ever. Not that waffles are usually healthy, but the mix that is there is like cake mix! Pretty sugary. The eggs...are not real eggs. I had to put lots of condiments to get them down. They have bagels, dry cereal, eggs, sausage or bacon and waffles along with juice, water, tea & coffee. Oh and yogurt and apples/oranges. So it's really good, I think the fake egg thing just threw me because I missed my morning protein.
The only other thing is that the carpets need cleaning. I'm still in the diaper changing years so maybe since I had a towel on the floor as I changed, I noticed more than someone else.
So really a nice place. But the reason I go to St. George is for sun/pool so this would not be my first choice next time.

Room Tip: End room away from elevator and ice machine is bet
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4356739608, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham St. George, responded to this review, June 9, 2011
First, I want to thank your for comments. It is the only way that we can know how we are doing. I am so sorry to hear about your disappointment with the pool. We never like to come up short with anyone's expectations. The pool location is one of those things that we, unfortunately don't have control over. It is something that some people enjoy and other don't. If your intent in coming to St. George was to 'soak up some rays' then I can understand your frustrations.

I also wanted to apologize for the carpets in your room. We want to make every effort to ensure everyone's room is clean and inviting. We are in the process of getting those cleaned and the room you stayed in was obviously one that we haven't reached yet.

Again, I thank you for the time you took to give us your honest feedback.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

We stayed here on the Friday night of Memorial Day weekend. After a very long day of driving from Moab to St George, we were delighted to discover that this a sparkling new hotel with large rooms, modern decor, really nice facilities, a wonderful breakfast area and friendly desk staff. And it shares a nice garden area with three restaurants, all kid-friendly.

However, at twenty minutes to four on Saturday morning, we also discovered that Wyndham really skimped on the sound-proofing of the rooms. The family in the room next door had a fussy toddler who awoke crying and proceeded to scream for the next hour as the poor mom and dad tried to cope. We heard e-v-e-r-y word. I would have expected a little better sound insulation in a place this new.

Overall I'd still stay here again. It's good value and well located. Just beware of the noise factor.

• Stayed May 2011
4356739608, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham St. George, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your comments. I am so glad to read that, for the most part your stay was a pleasant one.

I wanted to apologize for the interruption to your sleep. I know that it is a very frustrating to be awakened in the middle of the night. I truly am sorry that this was part of your experience at our hotel.

Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

Got this room on hotwire and didn't have great expectations. However, the facility is a minimum 3-star motel, which is saying a lot for the little town of St. George. Great beds, flat screen TV, nice bathrooms--totally above average for a tired road warrior. Don't be fooled by the mediocre exterior--the inside is just great. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
I am glad to read that our hotel exceded your expectations. We are still reletively new and still trying to 'get the word out' about our hidden gem here in St. George. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Layton, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

My daughter participated in the annual Dixie Jam in St. George, the weekend of April 9th. She is ten and I also had my five year-old with us. We drove down from the Salt Lake area and had no trouble finding the hotel, which is located at the final exit before the Arizona border. It is conveniently located across the street from restaurants, gas stations and Wal-mart.

The hotel was actually recommended to me by my husband, who stayed during a hiking trip. The decor is lovely and quite modern. The outside is maintained nicely in a business/strip mall complex. Inside, the lobby provides a sitting area (for the complimentary buffet each morning) a sundries store and a 24 hour coffee, tea and hot chocolate service. The pool is visible from the sitting/eating area and is located outside. We were unable to try the pool, since temperatures were near the 40s for our entire trip.

There is a workout room which is minimal, but was adequate for my needs. Only one treadmill, elliptical and bike each in their cardio lineup. Be prepared to come back or wait, if you have a particular preference. They do provide free-weights, weight machine, a yoga mat, water-cooler, full-wall mirror and flat-screen in the room.

Our room was very nice (see pictures) as was the bathroom. The microwave and mini-fridge were nice to have on hand. There was also a sofa chair that my youngest napped in. Be aware that the lights in the bathroom or the energy-saving type, so they take a bit to warm up. I like a hard mattress so, the beds were a bit too soft for me. My girls were in heaven and slept like babies.

Overall, a very nice stay and I would recommend to others who want to stay in St. George.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your nice comments. We are so glad that you enjoyed our hotel. Please come and see us again!

Hatton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

This hotel had it all. The pool and hottub were outside, but extremely well kept. The breakfast line was very satisfying for all our different tastes. The hotel location was perfect: extremely quiet area with a Walmart across the road for all the little things we needed along the way. Their were several local eateries within walking distance as well. My family had a spelunking permit for a local cave and we were able to tell the hotel staff where we were going and what time to expect us back. Upon our return, the staff was happy to see us all back safe and sound. The hotel has a guest laundry on the 4th floor that was very reasonable and convenient. This hotel was so nice, we extended our stay there by a day and a half before moving on.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
OasisRegional, Regional Manager at Wingate by Wyndham St. George, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
Thank you very much for your review. We're so glad that your enjoyed the pool, spa, and breakfast, and also found the location convenient. Our staff works hard to provide our guests with a comfortable, clean, and pleasant place to stay, and it looks like "Mission Accomplished!" We hope to see you again soon.

Been to Wingate by Wyndham St. George? Share your experiences!