“First and only experience with Navajo Food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Sheep Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 263 Restaurants in Provo
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Provo Center St
Malacca, Malaysia
“First and only experience with Navajo Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

First impression - awesome!
Second time - still awesome!
Next - want to be here again!

I didn't know Taco can be served in such a way. I had the vegetarian taco the first time i was here. My first thought about "Frybread" is - it must be greasy. In the contrary, it was not at all. It tasted so good together with the beans and the fresh vegetables on top of the bread. My another favourite here is the squash soup.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Provo, Utah
“Native American and Mexican Cuisine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

This is a new place in Provo, on the west side of University Avenue, just north of the corner of Center and University. It doesn't open until 5pm, and we arrived with our friends right at 5:00, so we had the place to ourselves. The waitress was friendly and helpful---even warning us that because everything is made fresh, the order may take longer than we expect to be served. She made up for the wait by bringing us some fry bread.

We were there with two other couples, and we started out with some great appetizers: shrimp on cornmeal, fry bread, and cactus lemonade.

My wife had the green chile stew, and it compared well with the green chile we had enjoyed in Taos, NM just a few weeks ago. I had a burger and sweet potato fries and enjoyed both. The burger is served on their own flat bread.

The restaurant's in a great location, and the decor is comfortably upscale. Serve staff is attentive and efficient and friendly.

We had a great evening and dinner.

Visited November 2012
Orem, Utah
“Good food, poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is a follow up to my earlier review written not long after the Black Sheep Cafe opened. If Trip Advisor had half stars I'd probably give it two-and-a-half.

The food is still good. The menu is still pretty small, particularly at lunch, but the type of food you can get here is unique for the area. But the service is unacceptably bad for a restaurant with the aspirations that this one has. Very sad to see that instead of improving from their opening, they have declined.

During our recent lunch my companion and I had ample time to examine the goings on while we waited for service (and waited and waited). The problem seems to be chaos in the kitchen at a far greater scale than I would expect for a restaurant this size (small) with this limited a menu, even during the lunch rush. At one point I counted seven people in the small, open kitchen, including what I assume was the head chef who was becoming noticeably exasperated. Not good.

It's also clear that the waitstaff, I believe there were only two during our time there, are not on the ball enough to keep track of the orders as they came up from the kitchen. Our waitress had a somewhat dazed demeanor and was easily confused, both by our order and by those of the adjacent tables. The kicker was when, after waiting about ten minutes for her to pick up our credit card/bill while she struggled with another party's bills, she started picking up dirty dishes. The restaurant was nearly empty at this stage (lunch rush over), so this was inexcusable. Nice enough girl, but incompetent waitress.

Black Sheep is situated downtown near businesses and the hotel and convention center. They simply must pull it together or they will not survive. Many of the tables around us were experiencing long waits for their food. I heard a lot of grumbling, frankly, and the waitstaff seemed oblivious to it.

Management needs to hire/train better waitstaff. They should also consider simplifying their menu - even further - for lunch time. If they stuck with salads, soups, and the stews, I think that would speed things up. In addition, they should have a contingency plan for slow service to try to keep their clients happy/occupied while they wait. How about providing a bowl of seasoned corn nuts or perhaps corn bread or the like so people can nibble while they wait for their meals?

As it is, there are a lot of dining options in downtown Provo, all walking distance of businesses and the hotel. The prices at Black Sheep are not cheap (even I was taken aback by $4 for a single ear of corn, fun prep notwithstanding). If they are going to compete for the higher end lunch crowds, they need to address service pronto.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Princeville, Hawaii
“Authentic Native American/New Mexican food - Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I grew up in New Mexico and had many opportunities to eat authentic Native American and New Mexican food. Black Sheep's Navajo Tacos are wonderful. The fry bread was perfect and the trio provided a variety of topings that were just as delicious. The green chili stew had an aromatic smoked green chili and plenty of tender meat. Their fries and goat cheese burger was also incredible. We will eat her often. I can't wait to try their breakfast burritos!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
USA
“Great food; service could improve”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

The food here is great-- fresh ingredients, made to order, and very flavorful. Entrees range from $12-17 and include burgers, Navajo tacos, enchiladas, chimichangas. We went on a weekday evening so the restaurant wasn't crowded when we arrived. The place holds about 18 tables that seat 4 people each. However, we had to wait quite awhile before a server brought us drinks and took our order. We noticed that the person supposed to be serving our area wasn't doing it so another server stepped in. Thank you! At the end of the meal she comped our drinks and I assume it was for our initial wait. Our server did say that it would take awhile to prepare our dishes, but we only waited 15 minutes, which was less than we thought. Soon after we were seated, the restaurant was packed with two large parties.
They were out of the squash soup, but recommended pumpkin one instead. They were out of 3 of their 6 desserts, but again offered two options not on the menu. All in all, it was great food and I'd go here again. The servers need some training to get up to speed with the quality of the food. I've noticed other reviews (not on Trip Advisor) that have also expressed concern with service. Hopefully they'll make it happen.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere